Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

White Pearl-Black Pearls' Sister

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 06:04 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well after 4 hours of polishing and bugging I got the wheels clean. What a pain in the ars...I think I may get them ceramic coated to help keep them clean and make them easier to clean...
Old 05-18-17, 06:47 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I know this is the last thing you want to hear after polishing them for 4 hours..... BUT

Do yourself a favor and powdercoat them. Bare polished wheels are nothing but a headache.

My SP500s were originally polished with no clear just like most of the CCW wheels. Complete nightmare to maintain especially if you have high-dusting brakes.

I spent several hours making them perfect via machine polishing at my work, degreased them with prepsol like 15 times to make sure no more black residue was coming off and coated them inside and out with Opti-Coat pro (the best coating we offered at the time). That's also a well known ceramic coating.

Did not help. It help with the beading and sheeting as you expect out of a good coating, but the raw metal finish would always water spot, stain, and oxidize no matter what (even if you wash them in the shade with regular car soap and blow dry them immediately).

I gave up on them and just had them powdercoated. Best decision you can make. If you want that kind of look, your only other option is to chrome them. I wouldn't recommend clearcoating over the polished finish because of all the hardware on that particular wheels design, it won't last and will eventually start to fail around the hardware bolts (sharp edges = thinner paint on those spots that will almost always be more prone to premature clearcoat failure).

That was my experience. Your experience may differ since it looks like you're on stock brakes still so brake dust might not be an issue like it was for me. My wheels need to be washed after an hour of driving the dusting is so bad.
Old 05-27-17, 12:35 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

This SC build isn't gonna go anywhere again . Poor SC !

He just bought a Supra MKIV , same color as one of mine ... my favourite one .. anthracite color

Driving it home right now from TX to LA

Good Decision Aaron ! Congrats ... it is wiser to throw your money on a MKIV actually since their prices are still going up . SC, you will never get your money back especially if you are buying parts at store prices. Just use that SC as your daily driver to work .
Old 05-29-17, 08:00 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

had I known how big of a is to keep them clean it is I would've never got them. But when they are clean they look amazing!!! I love the sp500 wheels... I envy you

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I know this is the last thing you want to hear after polishing them for 4 hours..... BUT

Do yourself a favor and powdercoat them. Bare polished wheels are nothing but a headache.

My SP500s were originally polished with no clear just like most of the CCW wheels. Complete nightmare to maintain especially if you have high-dusting brakes.

I spent several hours making them perfect via machine polishing at my work, degreased them with prepsol like 15 times to make sure no more black residue was coming off and coated them inside and out with Opti-Coat pro (the best coating we offered at the time). That's also a well known ceramic coating.

Did not help. It help with the beading and sheeting as you expect out of a good coating, but the raw metal finish would always water spot, stain, and oxidize no matter what (even if you wash them in the shade with regular car soap and blow dry them immediately).

I gave up on them and just had them powdercoated. Best decision you can make. If you want that kind of look, your only other option is to chrome them. I wouldn't recommend clearcoating over the polished finish because of all the hardware on that particular wheels design, it won't last and will eventually start to fail around the hardware bolts (sharp edges = thinner paint on those spots that will almost always be more prone to premature clearcoat failure).

That was my experience. Your experience may differ since it looks like you're on stock brakes still so brake dust might not be an issue like it was for me. My wheels need to be washed after an hour of driving the dusting is so bad.
Old 05-29-17, 08:08 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

Gerry let the cat out the bag. I was looking for parts a few weeks ago and ran across an Anthracite Supra. This car has always been my dream car once I was 15. Then I seen Gerrys Anthracite and was like one day I will own a Anthracite Supra. Seeing how rare they are I couldn't pass it up. So I flew to Texas and drove her back. The car does not have a single scratch on the exterior!! No lie! The interior needs some new panels and probably some new leather down the road but it's extremely clean inside. On the drive home I noticed some oil leaking under the car while filling up for gas so I stopped every 15 mins till I got home seeing how I was only 1 hour out. The guy who had it only put maybe a1000 miles on it in the last 3 yrs so I think the rear main seal is probably about dried up and needs to be replaced. No problem. We will start pulling the engine in the next two weeks anyway. I'm going to put all the new parts I was going to use on the sc300 build on this engine including the single Turbo setup.

Originally Posted by gerrb
This SC build isn't gonna go anywhere again . Poor SC !

He just bought a Supra MKIV , same color as one of mine ... my favourite one .. anthracite color

Driving it home right now from TX to LA

Good Decision Aaron ! Congrats ... it is wiser to throw your money on a MKIV actually since their prices are still going up . SC, you will never get your money back especially if you are buying parts at store prices. Just use that SC as your daily driver to work .
Old 05-29-17, 08:13 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

So from here on out the white pearl will remain a daily driver and stay stock. I will use my funds to invest in the supra from here on out. I will keep the progress updated though. Here's some shots of the Supra.

Old 05-29-17, 08:16 PM
geauxsimon
Driver

In a few weeks I will be putting a 6 speed in the supra and will be selling the boost logic auto and PI torque converter setup that I currently has in it if any of you are interested. It's in great shape with approx. 5k miles on it.
Old 05-30-17, 08:14 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

beautiful car ... now my anthracite MKIV has a twin brother in yours

just like your white pearl SC with my black pearl SC

And instead of selling that Boost Logic trans , use it on the SC and go 450-500 rwhp NA-T on a TT ECU for your daily driver .

You have a good daily driver on the SC and a weekend warrior on the MKIV.

Last edited by gerrb; 05-30-17 at 08:20 AM.