Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

MK3 Supra W58 to SC400 Manual Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-16, 10:37 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. Those look like very nice parts.
Old 08-22-16, 09:34 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

This thread is such a good read. I don't have a SC400 to convert to manual, but it is still really cool to see detailed information about the swap.
Old 08-25-16, 07:49 PM
macna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Thank you for sharing.

Hopefully I can follow some of your steps and some answers would really help me.

1. Can you please measure across the auto tran that you pulled out and give me the height of the beast. I want to make sure that I raise the SC high enough to extract it with something below. Yep I will be on my back.

2. What are your plans for the flywheel, gear ring and clutch. How are you assuring that the ring sits in the right position with respect to the starter gear?

3. Please comment on the adapter plate quality and precision. I am concerned about proper alignment the choice of ease of fitting vs precision.

4. Due to thickness of the adapter plate, are the mounting holes lining up. Body and rear mounting bar/beam.

5, Would there be a requirement to extend the input shaft due to the adapter plate.

6. Can you please add a picture .. looking up in the hole for the stick .. wide enough to cover the length of the transmission (with the transmission removed). There is a mention of tunnel adapter ... I think it is a plate that sits between the tunnel and the transmission and the rubber boot for the stick gets attached with a metal frame.

Salim
1. A good 18" tall... The more clearance the better..

2. XAT 1uzfe flywheel. This is a modified 3vz flywheel and requires no spacer. Can be used with a 3sgte or 3vz clutch kit.

3. Adaptor plate quality is great. Looks to be an old 1uzswapkits adaptor.

4 & 5. Everything lines up. The adaptor plate goes around the face of the w58 and adds no real noticeable thickness.

6. Will keep you posted...
Old 09-02-16, 10:55 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Any updates?

Salim
Old 09-05-16, 05:20 AM
macna
Driver School Candidate

Any updates?

Salim
The guy I bought the kit from either has no idea about cars and should stay away from them or is an ignorant liar. Said he had this in his sc400- HA! What a joke.

He sent a Supra driveshaft: WRONG had to hunt down a sc300 one

2JZ Pressure plate and clutch kit: WRONG had to express mail a Marlin Crawler kit (only 3vz or 3sgte pressure plates work with the manual sc400 flywheels)

He sent IS300 manual clutch and brake pedals: WRONG you have to use sc300 pedals. IS300 pedals are too long and close to the floor board so don't allow enough travel to get a good pump. This was the give-away that this kid is a liar.

We spent all day yesterday cutting and welding the IS300 clutch pedal to fit. Cut, bend, test fit, cut, bend, test fit- weld. Everything is bolted into place. Will post pics to get all caught up here soon.

Moral of the story: Buying used parts from ignorant car people is never a good idea.

Last edited by macna; 09-06-16 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 09:17 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awe man, that sucks. Sorry you're going through all those headaches. Sounds like you know what you are doing and are sorting it out. You should call this dude out on it. I'd be heated
Old 09-06-16, 10:01 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by macna
The guy I bought the kit from either has no idea about cars and should stay away from them or is an ignorant liar. Said he had this in his sc400- HA! What a F'n idiot. So I've been fixing a lot of things.

He sent a Supra driveshaft: WRONG had to hunt down a sc300 one

2JZ Pressure plate and clutch kit: WRONG had to express mail a Marlin Crawler kit (only 3vz or 3sgte pressure plates work with the manual sc400 flywheels)

He sent IS300 manual clutch and brake pedals: WRONG you have to use sc300 pedals. IS300 pedals are too long and close to the floor board so don't allow enough travel to get a good pump. This was the give-away that this kid is a liar.

We spent all day yesterday cutting and welding the IS300 clutch pedal to fit. Cut, bend, test fit, cut, bend, test fit- weld. Everything is bolted into place. Will post pics to get all caught up here soon.

Moral of the story: Buying used parts from ignorant car people is never a good idea.
That's awful. Is this person providing these commercially or was it just a one time sale...like "I have this stuff laying around"
Old 09-06-16, 10:43 AM
macna
Driver School Candidate

Alright, drill holes for the SS braided lines. Ensure they are positioned properly by lining the throwout bearing up with the mounting holes, then marking where the lines would come off.

Do mind the bolts behind the lines. If the bolt touches the line in any way, grind it down. You DO NOT want to pull the transmission off to tighten down a leaking clutch line.

Let's move that center console. Here is a video of a kid on YouTube that may help:

Unbolt the entire shifter assembly, disconnect all wires- and remove from vehicle.

Now you've exposed the fun part. Making a hole for the W58.

Old 09-06-16, 11:00 AM
macna
Driver School Candidate

In test fitting the W58, you'll find that it places the shifter exactly below the square already parked out on the chassis. Surprise surprise :-).

I didn't have a cool cutting tool, so I just went into my mental happy place, drilled holes all around the square with the largest drill bit I had, and whacked it one good time with a hammer.

Clean it up a little...

Ah' beautiful.

Back under the car, install the flywheel and pilot bearing. Flywheel bolts should be torqued down to 65ft/lbs. NO SPACER behind the flywheel.

The stock automatic transmission will come with a back spacer- It's paper weight. DO NOT use it.

Well done, XAT. SC400 manual flywheel is great.

Old 09-06-16, 11:30 AM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

There wasn't a cut off wheel or angle grinder in that old shop? Or a sawzall or jigsaw? Very surprised...
Old 09-07-16, 10:09 AM
macna
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blue Moose Engineering
There wasn't a cut off wheel or angle grinder in that old shop? Or a sawzall or jigsaw? Very surprised...
Haha yeah, right? I bet we did and maybe he didn't feel like hunting it up
Old 09-07-16, 10:29 AM
macna
Driver School Candidate

Note those new Catalytic Converters.. $80 from Ebay :-)

Remember- Only a 3sgte or 3vz Pressure Plate will work with the SC400 manual flywheels! I decided to go with a Heavy Duty 4Runner clutch kit from Marlin Crawler (3vz engine)

https://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch...-lb-clutch-kit

PUT GREASE ON THE HUB-SPLINE!!! Meaning, the inside of the clutch disk, and on the input shaft itself. The first five minutes of running this car were hell because I didn't put enough moly grease on. Sounded like it was going to seize and explode. Luckily, the heat spread what little grease I did use, and it went away within 100 miles.

SC300 Draveshaft sourced from a guy in Atlanta for $50. What a God-send.

Last edited by macna; 09-08-16 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-07-16, 10:31 AM
macna
Driver School Candidate

Before mounting the transmission... Splice and combine the BLACK and BLACK\GREY wire from the large connector that came off the auto transmission. This is the Neutral Safety Switch, and will allow your car to always act as if it were in neutral- Therefore allowing you to be able to start your car and use a manual transmission.

Old 09-09-16, 08:55 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Thanks for the update.

It seems cutting for the shifter is required [I was hoping there is a combination where it is not required] ... although you had an adapter plate which pushes the shifter back 1/4 inch or so.

Please elaborate on flywheel to starter ring engagement.

What issues if any with alignment of mounting holes of the support.

Salim
Old 09-11-16, 05:30 AM
macna
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the update.

It seems cutting for the shifter is required [I was hoping there is a combination where it is not required] ... although you had an adapter plate which pushes the shifter back 1/4 inch or so.

Please elaborate on flywheel to starter ring engagement.

What issues if any with alignment of mounting holes of the support.

Salim
Yes cutting for the shifter is required. Unless you go with an angled shifter. CUBE makes on and sells it on eBay. It's a shifter that is at two 90degree angles, which places it further back and lower than stock. I will post on my solution to the problem soon. I just got everything put back together and had to modify the shifter to fit in the stock interior.

The flywheel and starter work seamless together - XAT did a great job. Perfect alignment, starts with no grinds or odd sounds. See the photo above for clearance. The starter comes out and catches the teeth perfectly.

Zero issues with the mounting holes. The adapter allows the re-use of the auto bellhousing, so everything goes exactly back from where it came.

Pics soon to follow.

Quick Reply: MK3 Supra W58 to SC400 Manual Swap