Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Another JZS161 GS300 2JZGTE vvti swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 02:31 AM
Jimricard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I made a patch exhaust to connect the new donk up to the factory GS300 exhaust.

My friend had a landcruiser exhaust section laying around which was perfect for the job.

The donor pipe is the same diametre (2 3/8 inch) as the Aristo outlet on the cat, uses the same flanges and is stainless like the factory GS exhaust.

Not the best flowing exhaust I know but I am undecided on how much money I want to put into this car and this system had a grand total of $10 (for gaskets) to build.

Welding was done with a stick welder and is pretty good considering so go easy.

Old 10-10-16, 08:27 PM
Jimricard
Driver School Candidate

I have now driven the GS and unfortunately I am not impressed. It is a SLUG! Performance is very poor.

I currently have the car back in the garage changing lower ball joints and castor arms. Once this is complete I will start searching for issues that may reduce power eg boost pressures, exhaust blockages etc etc.

Apart from poor performance the car is running very well. Engine is quiet, idle is smooth, all electrics such as cruise control, tacho, shift lock work (apart from VSC which is expected)
Old 10-11-16, 04:14 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimricard
I have now driven the GS and unfortunately I am not impressed. It is a SLUG! Performance is very poor.

I currently have the car back in the garage changing lower ball joints and castor arms. Once this is complete I will start searching for issues that may reduce power eg boost pressures, exhaust blockages etc etc.

Apart from poor performance the car is running very well. Engine is quiet, idle is smooth, all electrics such as cruise control, tacho, shift lock work (apart from VSC which is expected)
A stock twins swap isn't anything too special, it doesn't do much of anything for low speed driving or taking off. But it really makes an impact for passing and freeway driving, you should really feel huge improvements there. Once you BPU it then you will see much better performance.. The beauty of a GTE swap is the ease of upgrade potential you now have.

Does it pull smoothly all the way to redline? Or is there any indication of it breaking up in boost? What plugs and gaps are you running?
Old 10-11-16, 06:14 PM
Jimricard
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I have owned an MX83 1JZ and JZX100 1JZ VVTI and the 161 power just doesnt feel up to scratch. It goes ok but I thought it would have more going off my previous cars.

Car runs smooth as!!! no missfires, hesitations, boost cut etc etc. Have enot even pulled plugs yet!

Going to put a boost gauge on it this weekend and check pressures. I am expecting 8-10 PSI.
Old 11-13-16, 10:56 PM
Jimricard
Driver School Candidate

So thanks to a friend I now have a set of factory aristo fuel lines.
I mentioned that I wanted stock lines and fuel pump assembley so he went a bit over board and imported 3 complete fuel tanks and 3 sets of lines.
I will not be using the stock fuel pump assembley as I now have the raceworks pump installed but good to have as a spare.

Old 11-13-16, 11:12 PM
Jimricard
Driver School Candidate

I stripped pretty much everything worth keeping from the halfcut over the weekend. She will be heading to the dump soon.

The main thing that I wanted was the heater box.
At the moment my heater is bypassed because i bent the GS core and cracked the pipe.
I plan to use the heatercore from the cut to move the pipes to the Aristo position in firewall away from the turbo's.
I am expecting a few hurdles as the Aristo runs single zone climate control but the GS300 runs dual zone (So swapping the whole unit is out of the question).

Old 11-13-16, 11:14 PM
Jimricard
Driver School Candidate

Oh and I forgot to mention the car is now running alot better.

It always ran smooth but lacked power.

After a few drives it started to perform alot better without me doing anything to it.

All I can put it down to is maybe the VVTI solenoid or the butterfly in the exhaust was sticky.
Old 11-14-16, 02:35 PM
Hayce
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Doubtful it was the solenoid only because when they go the car is just about undriveable. Barely idles etc. Was my experience anyway. Glad it going better for you.
Old 11-24-16, 08:41 PM
maligned98
Driver School Candidate

Well done on the build mate. Just waiting for my halfcut to arrive before I start this same project down in Albany.

Was wondering the best way to go about the fuel return line, the bundy looks neat, I forgot to ask for the importer to get me the stock return lines. Will have to see what comes.

Did you get the fans to work fine in the end?