Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992 SC300 for about $350

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 02:31 PM
Miller
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1992 SC300 for about $350

I used to own a pretty '93 SC400. Painted it Porsche Lapis Blue, added the best fake wheels I could afford and generally just kept it clean. But life happens and I had to sell her.

Fast forward five years and I stumble across a running, driving, stopping - albeit beat - SC300 at a price I couldn't pass on - $350. At 150k miles, she runs well, but the pictures speak for the rest.

Details:
How about those sweet chrome wheels? Not only do they weigh a ton, they also have lime green plasti-dip and brake dust in all the creases.

It was dipped black and the previous owner did a poor job of trying to remove it.

It has a pieced together "DC" exhaust.

A Pioneer aftermarket head unit/dvd player with a poor wiring job.

SC400 rear bumper and '97+ front bumper
Many people have already told me it's not worth the effort and it's probably not, but I don't have much to lose and I'm hoping to learn a lot. Progress will come at a glacial pace.

The New Girl. She's... been around the block a few times.

Old 06-30-16, 08:51 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Great deal dude, You can fix it up and have a solid car i'm sure for less than a 1000 dollars
Old 07-01-16, 12:43 PM
Miller
Rookie

The frame is solid and it runs. everything else is cosmetic. It'll save a lot of money to learn to do basic body work. Not to mention, the wide overfenders will cover anything I screw up.
Old 07-01-16, 04:32 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

congrats for taking on the project, good luck, I hope you bring it back to its former glory!!
Old 07-03-16, 09:38 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Props to you for willing to take on another project. I did the same thing, plus it's fun to learn on a car that you can take your time with. You'll make mistakes here and there, it's expected (normal) but you'll get down your techniques, etc. You'll have a new sense of achievement as you continue to make progress. GL and keep us posted.
Old 07-05-16, 10:09 AM
Miller
Rookie

Default Junk yard find

After scouring the local pick-n-pulls, my brother and I found a recently junked 1993 SC300. It honestly wasn't in bad shape at all, so we spent the day yesterday pulling what we could.(sorry for the potato quality photos)

We pulled the wingless trunk, the driver side door wiring harness, assorted interior pieces, air box, timing belt cover and the high beams(for an LED project).

the door panels we're awesome, but I might go back and pick them up anyways - mine are much worse or not even there in the case of the driver side.

Old 07-14-16, 07:04 PM
Miller
Rookie

My little helper was outside with me today trying to get left over plastidip off the car, and I decided to get underneath and take a look at the exhaust.

When I got it up in the air, I noticed that the suspension had an adjustable nut on it. They're green, maybe Tein? I got this tire in the picture off, but there's a lot of dirt and corrosion, any other way to tell brand or model? Possible to get rebuilt or beyond repair. Any advice helps. Thanks.

Last edited by Miller; 07-14-16 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Poor grammar
Old 07-17-16, 10:39 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Miller
My little helper was outside with me today trying to get left over plastidip off the car, and I decided to get underneath and take a look at the exhaust.

When I got it up in the air, I noticed that the suspension had an adjustable nut on it. They're green, maybe Tein? I got this tire in the picture off, but there's a lot of dirt and corrosion, any other way to tell brand or model? Possible to get rebuilt or beyond repair. Any advice helps. Thanks.
Easiest way to tell would be to take the rim off and see if the Tein sticker is still there, If it is a tein coilover it looks like an older model like the basic or HA coilover. Does it still have stock top hats (those models use oem top hats)?

I don't think tein will still offer support for a coilover that old, but it is possible that another company could rebuild them using comparable parts.

I found a picture of the tein HA coils I used to have. They look like it could be similar.

Old 07-18-16, 02:00 PM
Miller
Rookie

Thanks for that picture and feedback. I plan on getting all the wheels off tonight. The top hats look oem, but I don't have a lot of experience with suspension. The color and adjustment nut look dead on though.
Old 04-04-17, 01:12 PM
Miller
Rookie

Default Time really got away from me

I haven't had the time to work on her for a while. Company I work for went through a bankruptcy, got bought and now I work longer hours to make up for some staffing loss/changes. I did however, find what I think was a good deal on a set of 19"x8.5" & 19"x10" RacingHart CR wheels (kind of a period correct feel) for $100. Two fronts were covered in ancient looking Plasti-dip, but the rears looked relatively good. Trying to figure out the best course of action, spend a chunk of $$ on 19" tire(no ideas yet as to size) and have them refinished. Or flip them and keep looking. Also - missing one f'ing center cap. Edit - When i took off the current set of Mustang-esq wheels, I found that no more than two lugs on each wheel was the same size. I had to use three different sockets to get the off.

19x10 +22
19x8.5 +3?