MAizz's 2012 IS350 AWD Build - Club Lexus Forums

MAizz's 2012 IS350 AWD Build

Old 04-23-16, 10:21 AM   #1
MAizz
Driver

Default MAizz's 2012 IS350 AWD Build

Hey CL, I've decided to start a build thread to track progress all in one spot for my IS. I never intended to mod anything on the car really, but I've done a lot along the way so far and have realized the process never truly ends.

I am very much a DIY'er but I do like things to end up looking professional quality. CL has been a great resource for learning different skills and techniques, so hopefully I can give back.

Feel free to comment, advise or whatever, I know not everyone will like everything I do but I don't get offended so by all means be honest. If you have questions on anything you see, comment and I can help/walk you through the process.

To answer the usual question of why not just buy an ISF... I could and would love to own one, but I would much rather take AWD since it is daily driven throughout the winter/snow.

Exterior Mods:
35% tint all around
3m 1080 gloss black roof wrap
Spec-D LED taillights (previously Nidels and tinted stock)
Blacked out front grill
Blacked out side view mirrors (backside) and chrome delete
Blacked out inside rear emblem
Weathertech rain guards (dark)
Chrome door handle covers
Custom carbon fiber exhaust tips
6000K LED fog lights and high beams
Custom painted engine cover
JoeZ intake
18x8" TSW Nurburgring - Mirror cut (Summer)
17" OEM wheels - dipped anthracite grey (Winter)

Interior Mods:
6000K LED interior lighting (full)
Color matched A/C vents and speedometer
Custom silver carbon fiber console, window switches and door handles - from Carbon Fiber Element
OEM IS-F shift ****
Weathertech floor liners
OEM trunk net

Last edited by MAizz; 04-23-16 at 04:25 PM. Reason: added content
MAizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-16, 10:37 AM   #2
MAizz
Driver

Default Stock

Like I said I never intended to modify anything, so I did not take any stock pictures. I went online just as a reference to have some sort of comparison. These are pictures of a car I found online, all specs are identical to mine so it should serve its purpose.

It is a 2012 IS350 AWD with Luxury package, non-ML. It has power rear sunshade, auto-dimming and auto-tilting mirrors, illuminated door sills, spoiler and maybe and maybe a few other options.

MAizz's 2012 IS350 AWD Build-img_0125_1f55600532345b618964000bd55f63aa7d698bc2.png

MAizz's 2012 IS350 AWD Build-img_0129_5a191951ba3e99a061e782268413b7cb3dc5febb.png

MAizz's 2012 IS350 AWD Build-img_0137_25286ffd119420bed3cdc29c3e8eca3f423b000a.png

Last edited by MAizz; 04-28-16 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-23-16, 01:31 PM   #3
MAizz
Driver

First thing I did was a 35% tint all around - one of the few things I did not do myself, I've gone to the same shop for every car I owned so this was no different, legal limit in MA.

I had done a full LED conversion on my previous IS, so I made sure to take all the bulbs with me to this car. Interior was a 6000K kit from Precision LED - at the time I bought the kit because it was easier than finding out bulbs, color matching, etc. A little more expensive but worth it at the time.

Exterior bulb sizes changed from 2006 to 2012, but the fog lights and high beams were able to be swapped, 6000K color. The low beams came HID, so i decided to just leave them since the output is good.

Then I started to experiment with vinyl wrap, plasti-dip, automotive paint and real carbon fiber. I think each medium has its place, the key being not overusing one in particular.

Plasti dip grill and surround

Peeled the grill surround but left the grill black

I plastidipped the chrome section and backside of the mirrors (to reduce light relfections at night around the mirror). I picked up some chrome handle covers and added Wheathertech wind deflectors, I had AVS previously, decided anything with adhesive was going to eventually lead to an issue so I went with in channel style.

Old 04-23-16, 02:54 PM   #4
MAizz
Driver

Default Tails/rear

Next big thing for me was tail lights. I always liked the look of the 2009+ reverse section, so I wanted to highlight the feature. I started with tinting the taillights, but after awhile I figured it would eventually just cause more problems than anything.

Thin coat of plasti dip with the reverse section masked off

I ended up grabbing a set from Nigel - excellent to work with. I really liked the style and look, with the outer edge being black, i tried to add some black to make it blend.

I think the sheer amount of plasti dip on the black started to turn me off of the look. I decided to change it up and get the spec-D tails. I ended up putting the spoiler back to the stock color and a silver license plate frame. The inside of the Lexus emblem I used plasti dip to resemble the hybrid look and add a little style.

Old 04-23-16, 03:07 PM   #5
MAizz
Driver

Decided to go with a 3M 1080 gloss back roof vinyl, got a couple estimates, cheapest I got was a couple hundred if I bought the vinyl, so I decided to DIY. Bought a 6'x5' roll off amazon. I remove the shark fin antenna (go through the rear dome light) to get a flush look. It was a little tricky around the corners and sunroof but overall very pleased. I plasti dipped the shark fin due to its unique shape, different color than the vinyl but blends pretty well.

Clay bar, thorough clean and dry, roof rails and antenna removed

Final product

Old 04-23-16, 03:38 PM   #6
MAizz
Driver

Default Interior

Couple changes to the interior.. I started by color matching the air conditioner vents (aerosol from Scratch Wizard) and speedometer bezel.

Vent and speedometer bezel

If it looks like this one didn't turn out well, it is because this car is my daily driver and my dog is frequently in the back seat, I let him have free reign in the back seat

I always wanted the silver CF from the IS-F but refuse to pay the price for it. I went the easy route with silver CF vinyl and it surprisingly held up well, but needless to say was not the same. I picked up some spare center consoles from ebay, bought some carbon fiber and silver fiberglass weave to attempt to wrap it on my own. I actually had it turn out good but struggled to get the intricate cut around the shifter, so I decided to accept my current limitations and send the interior trim to Tony at Carbon Fiber Elements (out of NJ). I am waiting to get them back but they look very good in the pictures sent. I also got an IS-F shift ****, I am against putting anything that says F-sport on my car since it is not an F-sport (exceptions would be sway bars, exhaust).

IS-F shift **** - the console pictured here is my attempt at laying CF

Vinyl Wrap - Silver CF 4D with Clear Coat

Now the real carbon fiber...

Ready to be sent out

Silver CF weave laid down - credit to Carbon Fiber Element

Cut, glossed and drying - credit to Carbon Fiber Element

I will post some pictures once I get them back and install them

Last edited by MAizz; 04-23-16 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added pictures and content
Old 04-23-16, 03:46 PM   #7
is250san
Driver School Candidate

looks good!
is250san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-16, 03:52 PM   #8
MAizz
Driver

Default Some other additions

I've added a few other touches which are subtle, but I like make the car much more personal.

I decided to lay carbon fiber around the stock exhaust tips and coat them with high heat clear coat. Very easy to do if you ask me, just have to have patience.

Hand laid carbon fiber

Driver side

Passenger side

I've painted my engine cover with high heat black to give it a meaner look with the hood open. I also picked up a JoeZ intake from Carson Toyota, a nice subtle addition but excellent sound to it.

Custom painted cover and JoeZ intake

Also grabbed a couple of seatbelt pads - black weave with the Lexus logo and name, I didn't like them on the front seats since they caused the belts not to retract and get caught in the door, so I put them all in the back.

Lexus Trunk net - nothing special
Old 04-23-16, 04:02 PM   #9
MAizz
Driver

Default Wheels

I ended up picking up a set of 18x8 TSW Nurburgring (square setup for the AWD) with a mirror cut face. The Lexus OEM caps fit in the center, so I picked up a black/chrome set with red lug nuts to dress things up a bit.

Since I picked these wheels up for the summer, winters are a little tough here so I plasti dipped my OEMs. I originally did them black, but that really hid the features of the rim, so I went with anthracite grey instead.

OEM silver

Matte Black

Anthracite Grey - in a shadow, not dirty
Old 04-24-16, 10:33 AM   #10
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Nice ride you plan to drop and get body kits?
MWIS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-16, 10:58 AM   #11
MAizz
Driver

If I do lower it will be on some F-sport springs just to stay OEM, not looking for much of a drop if any. The only other things I would want to eventually get to is an IS-F rear end conversion with a CF diffuser and a 3IS front bumper conversion.

Not in any sort of rush so maybe just making my own CF side splitters, lip spoiler for the time being.
Old 04-24-16, 11:20 AM   #12
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

ISF diffuser and 3IS front would look great, and some side skirt.
MWIS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 11:33 AM   #13
Parsa
Pole Position

really nice, i love the interior details you did
how much did it cost to wrap the interior pieces?
Parsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 03:50 AM   #14
MAizz
Driver

$650 for everything (including shipping) for the center console, 4 window switches and 4 handle covers. Turnaround time was about 2 weeks from sending it out to getting it back.

Old 05-04-16, 09:15 PM   #15
funny
Driver School Candidate

Great work, dude!!!
funny is offline   Reply With Quote