Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rare SC Restomod - Finally I have a JZ car!

Old 04-17-16, 04:20 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rare SC Restomod - Finally I have a JZ car!

A couple months ago my buddy texted me a link to a local Craigslist ad for an SC300 that had hit a curb. It was a five speed and I figured I could use the pedals and such for my intended 5.3 LSx/T56 swap in my '95 SC400, so I called on the car and ended up negotiating a deal for $800 for the whole car. I swooped up a borrowed trailer that weekend and got the car.

It ran fine, but it turned out the subframe and steering rack were shattered from where the kid had jumped and straddled a concrete median. The steering wheel would move the front wheels while moving forward, but would just spin if there was any load on the fronts. We managed to line it up and limp it onto the trailer, and it was even worse getting it off later on, but I was able to get it into my shop.

Once it was in, I got it up on stands and started looking over what I had acquired.

I hadn't even noticed when I picked it up, but it was a hardtop car (no sunroof)! Combined with being a factory five speed, this is a pretty rare car. It's an original Colorado car, purchased at the local Lexus dealer in July of '92, has only a tiny bit of rust in the passenger rocker, and has only 134k miles. Interior took some cleaning and I had to track down a driver door panel, but it's in good not-a-show-car shape.

On to the undercarriage carnage!

Front subframe shattered in half, steering rack shattered in half, rear subframe bent badly, both motor mounts sheared in half (though they were probably already worn out), lower oil pan crushed, lower radiator support moved. The lower rad support was the only sheet metal on the actual body of the car that took any damage. It shifts the radiator and AC condenser up a little bit, but I'll beat it down or cut it out and replace it in the future if/when it gets a radiator upgrade and if/when it becomes an actual problem for me.

Once I got all the guts out, the full damage was clear.

Fortunately, a '97 SC300 popped up in one of the local junkyards just a day or so after I had assessed all the damage. I was able to acquire both subframes, the steering rack, both oil pans and supporting pieces, and a couple of other minor pieces. After a little action in the local car wash:

Last edited by Asha'man; 04-17-16 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 04:41 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

I had to support the engine so I could pull all the subframes and motor mounts out. I looked at the Harbor Fright engine support bar, but really didn't want to drop $70 right then. A visit to Home Depot and eleven dollars later, an 8' 4x6 and a logging chain I already had did the trick just fine.

I was hoping the upper oil pan had survived, but alas, it had a nice crack in it.

So I had to pull everything. Behold, the 2JZ bottom end, stark naked.

Since I had all the parts, and it was all apart already, I figured it would be idiotic not to lay the groundwork for future forced induction, so I drilled and tapped the holes in the upper pan for a turbo oil return fitting. I used a hole saw since I didn't have to worry about shavings going into the pan, and I'm glad I did it this way. That bung is nearly half an inch thick and generated a LOT of shavings. Took ten minutes this way, but would have been hours and lots of worry in the car.

I apparently don't have a pic of it right now, but I ordered the -10 AN return flange from Driftmotion (the one with the nifty integrated O-ring) and put it on. I was also able to acquire a -10 AN cap from a local speed shop, so the return fitting is currently capped off until the car gets a turbo. Hasn't leaked so far, and will make my life a lot easier when the time comes.

Toyota FIPG:

The monkeys at the junkyard drained the '97 by punching a hole in the lower oil pan, so I had to weld up this hole. Didn't get great pics, but it turned out well, is barely visible, and doesn't leak. I really hate stupid people, though.

Got it all together.

I was able to find a great deal on motor mounts from Rockauto at $40 for the pair, so I stuck those in. The rear bushings in the front LCA were shot, as expected, so I replaced those with the PSB polyurethane ones. Pretty easy process, actually. Got everything back together, got the battery charged, oil filled, filter changed, power steering filled and bled, and got the car on the ground. In the midst of the parts replacement, I also made time to get that hideous pinstripe off the sides of the car (visible in the first couple of pics). I HATE pinstripes, and fortunately this one was just tape. A little heat gun action, some Goof Off and a sore thumbnail and the appearance of the car was improved tenfold.

If you recall, I said earlier that the steering wheel would spin freely with any load on the tires. It got spun enough that it tore the clockspring/ribbon cable in the steering wheel hub in half, so no steering wheel functions would work. There weren't any SC's in the yards by this time, so I spent a couple hours tearing steering wheels out of random Lexus and Toyota cars in the yard looking at hub assemblies. Luckily they're two T27 screws and a 19mm nut to remove, so I got through a few. Tried a '98 GS300 (that I also nabbed the coil packs from), an '01 ES300, '04 ES330, '01 Camry, and an '02 Celica, all with no luck. They were five-turn, or the plugs were wildly different, or the size was wrong, or whatever. Then I got the idea to try a Toyota of the same vintage as my '92, so I popped the wheel off a crusty '94 Camry and bingo, it was the same exact six-turn clockspring. I found a much cleaner '95 Camry up the yard that already had the wheel centered and got the airbag pigtail as well, and sure enough, it's the same exact assembly as the SC. Let's hear it for Toyota parts bins.

I don't even remember which one is which:

Once it was all together it was time for a test drive and some baseline photos.

Last edited by Asha'man; 04-17-16 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 04:50 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Since the auto trans in my red SC400 seems to be on its last legs from a track day last fall, and that car is kind of stalled out right now, it was time to rob a few parts from it. I took a day and swapped the coilovers and wheels between the cars. Not all that fun doing the same job twice, but it does encourage proficiency.

Cool "before" pic that my phone decided to do in HDR:

I did a little work on the interior that I don't have pics of yet, and got a little homebrew alignment under the car, at least enough to get me to an alignment shop when the time comes.

Last weekend I stripped the lousy Plastidip job off the Track Pack wheels. I don't intend to keep these wheels (want to go to 18's), and I love me some black wheels, but I actually like these better in their stock hyperblack finish. Turns out gasoline is a hell of a dip stripper.

And that's where we're at right now. I'm in the process of blacking out all my interior wood trim, installed a spare black center console trim that I had lying around, and am working on acquiring a decent Celica or IS300 steering wheel for cheap to match either the Celica or black SC airbags that I have.

On the short list:

- windshield (broken from airbag deploy)
- gauge cluster rebuild (all needles are dead, I assume also from the airbag deploy)
- alignment
- wheels and tires
- finish putting interior back together
- put my LS400 front brakes on and flush brake system
- flush/bleed clutch
- replace airbag sensors to clear the airbag light
- several road course track weekends this year

On the long list:

- NA-T
- CD009 or R154 trans after a season or two on W58 power levels

Last edited by Asha'man; 04-17-16 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 05:20 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too shabby sir.
Old 04-18-16, 03:51 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Very nice! I love seeing builds like these where these cars are brought back from the brink and taken far beyond.

Asha'man, are you going to add LS400 front brake calipers to the list, too?

I looked at your oil pan turbo return tapping section very closely. That's on my list too along with replacing my oil pump as prep for going turbo. It looks like supporting the engine and unbolting the subframe might be the only way to get that pan off... unless the engine and transmission are unbolted and pulled out :/

Aside, I love those factory original "blade" SC rims. I used to have a set for my car and they look great on yours. Useless with big brakes, sadly.
Old 04-18-16, 02:20 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Very nice! I love seeing builds like these where these cars are brought back from the brink and taken far beyond.

Asha'man, are you going to add LS400 front brake calipers to the list, too?

I looked at your oil pan turbo return tapping section very closely. That's on my list too along with replacing my oil pump as prep for going turbo. It looks like supporting the engine and unbolting the subframe might be the only way to get that pan off... unless the engine and transmission are unbolted and pulled out :/

Aside, I love those factory original "blade" SC rims. I used to have a set for my car and they look great on yours. Useless with big brakes, sadly.
They're on the list already. Junkyarded them for a song about a year ago and just hadn't gotten around to putting them on the red car yet.

Dropping the subframes is the only realistic way to get the pans out. I've done it in the yard by only dropping the rear and then arduously undoing pan bolts with a wrench, but it sucked. Might as well drop the front subframe down at least a couple inches, if not pull it entirely.
Old 04-18-16, 06:08 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice save, glad you're putting some work on her...another "saved" SC in the making! Keep the updates coming!

Steve
Old 04-18-16, 06:45 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Good start...

That undercarriage was rough.....car clearly bottomed out bad or had something in front suspension break causing all the damage

Really bad how poorly people treat these cars....
Old 04-18-16, 09:35 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

The kid I bought it from was delivering pizzas in it. I assume that's what he was doing when he jumped a median and straddled it with the undercarriage. I don't know if the weather was inclement or if he was just ****ing around, though, and I know what median he hit but haven't laid eyes on it since I found out. Luckily he bought it from the original owner and only had it for nine months or so before he wrecked it, or I don't even know what kind of shape it would have ended up in.
Old 05-07-16, 11:34 AM
hknubsauce
Lead Lap

I like those track pack wheels.
Old 06-01-16, 08:45 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

The Track Pack wheels are for sale.

Updates on the car!

Got the windshield replaced. Changed every drop of fluid in the car - oil and power steering (obviously), coolant flush with Toyota red, rear diff, transmission, brake flush, and clutch flush. Here's a before and after of the clutch, just as an indicator. The brakes weren't as bad as I've seen, but it all needed doing.

Rolled the fenders.

Upgraded to LS400 brakes.

Painted the interior wood, swapped my Celica wheel in from my SC400, put in a black center trim that I had lying around from the junkyard.

Ordered only the second set of new wheels I've ever bought in my life. I was going to go with black like I usually do, but they were out and the clock was ticking on my track weekend, so I went with silver and I'm glad I did. Varrstoen ES2's, 18x9.5 +22 with 235/40/18 and 18x10.5 +22 with 255/35/18 BFG gForce Sport Comp 2's.

And I got everything done in time for my track weekend! I was up until midnight the night before finishing my LS brakes and soldering in my Tanin V3 blue needles (waiting on backlight bulbs to post pics), but I made it in time for the driver's meeting and tech.

In grid:

Next to my buddy's CMC Mustang after the evening thunderstorm.

Car did great the whole weekend, through eight 20-minute road course sessions. I think it may need a clutch sooner than later, but it's fine for now. The car is heavy and of course kinda stanced, but I had zero tire rub or any other issues, and I was pushing it as hard as I currently know how (which isn't very hard, as I'm only in HPDE 1, but hey). Passed a Boss 302 and a Miata, among some other slower cars/drivers!

Next track weekend is the weekend before Independence Day, and I can't wait to get out there some more.
Old 06-06-16, 06:22 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

The car looks great! Inbox us your address and we would love to send you one of our new decals! Let us know if you ever need anything at all. We are always happy to help out.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 06-16-16, 07:53 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I LOVE this build!
Old 06-17-16, 09:09 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Looking good. I love seeing cars saved from the junkyard and restored
Old 06-17-16, 11:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Way to bring it back man, I thouroughly enjoyed the sc400 thread but this one with the manual has really taken off fast. wheels are looking sharp!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rare SC Restomod - Finally I have a JZ car!