Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992 SC300 5spd Chicken Coop Restore (tons pics)

Old 03-17-16, 07:13 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the front windshield replaced yesterday. Used and independent guy and he was cheaper than the major dealers at least here in Athens GA by about $45. Cost $195. Took the picture because will probably never be this clear again. ALSO I WOULD ADVISE everyone to pull the plastic cowl off fortunately I was there when they did it and saw there is a big open hole on the passenger side of the engine bay that had a ton of leaves and stuff from where a mouse had made a home during its chicken coop days.

Old 03-18-16, 03:58 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

What type of windshield did you have put on? I'm dreading having to replace mine because of the factory seal, but the pitting is getting pretty bad. I had a PGW put on my last car and I found that was pretty good quality over the generic glass many companies try to use.
Old 03-18-16, 06:26 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Im not sure here is a pic of the logo on the windshield it shows FY? I found the guy who did mine by asking a buddy of mine who owned a body shop who he used. You may want to stop at a few near you and ask who they use. Not sure about this brand but he did the rear window, front window and side window on my SC400 and they still looked fine after about five years but not sure if this was the same brand.
Old 03-18-16, 09:42 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

this is a really cool build. Love seeing Lexus cars being restored. Great work so far!
Old 03-22-16, 05:21 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to see you guys restoring "her", props for being an awesome dad too! Time well spent together

steve
Old 03-23-16, 06:11 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Few more pictures over the past week.

Not original rear floor mats but close fit. Beige color before SEM

First coat of SEM

Second coat of SEM. Didnt take picture after brushing but they look alot better than picture

Factory light gray front floor mats. I wanted them to match the back ones and the darker trim plus I still had a little but of stain but after $8 of quarters at the pressure washer they came out pretty clean especially considering they are 22years old or I assume they are. The Lexus logo was faded out and I forgot to take a before picture but this was after three coats and just like the rear ones they looked alot better after brushing.

Car has started leaking really bad over the past few months to where I was having to put a quart of oil in every 500 miles.

Took to the mechanic today to figure out oil leak and valve cover gaskets where bad. There was so much oil the spark plugs where submerged in oil.
Old 03-28-16, 03:53 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Had to replace the valve covers they were to corroded.

Picked up a set of used covers amazing the shape they are in compared to ones that came off.

Painted and ready to go back on car

So far everything Ive built has been on this wafer board table I threw together 22 years ago.

Decided to build me something I could roll around the garage and out in the driveway

Drop cord plugs into wall outlet and I wired in two outlets on each side that when the drop cord is plugged in the outlets are live.

Old 03-30-16, 07:12 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Did a few things this past weekend. Amp box turned out to be long and subs would hit sides. Also, finally got around to building the back side of the passenger sub box. Getting the boxes built around the part where the tail light bolts in is a major pain and would probably have been easier to have just put amps in the side panels and a sub box across the rear floor but my son plays golf and wanted to be able to still put his clubs in the back.

Side of amp box cut and amp moved about four inches over

Area under where Im putting the passenger sub box is where the factory CD player was. I took all the brackets out because they kept rattling which left a huge hole under the sub enclosure so I layered the area in tinfoil and then filled it with liquid foam.

After it hardened sawed off to make even.

Trunk redone. Still need to recenter and screw down but looks a ton better and subs sound great now that both are enclosed and sealed. Subs are dual voice coil 4ohm. I should have gotten 2ohm since the amp is stable down to 2ohm but the amp is still putting out enough to shake the car.
Old 03-31-16, 02:20 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! That turned out pretty good!
Old 04-03-16, 08:06 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Amazed the 16 year old son decided to tackle relocating the wiring harness this weekend and we also painted the calipers.

Took out the liner and found another pile of leaves and trash.

Fortunate wiring harness hadnt been rubbed yet but you can see from the next picture it wasnt going to be long.

Rip in the liner right below the harness.

He started working on around 8pm and finished around 3am.

Wrapped with tape wire loom ordered

Got all four calipers painted. Will post pictures later.
Old 04-04-16, 02:28 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

looks like you painted the rotors as well lol.
Old 04-05-16, 05:29 AM
Oconee1985
Driver

Yeah I got tired of walking by the car and seeing the rust so while I was at it I sanded the rotors and taped off and painted them as well. I should have gone and got some black but was to lazy

Old 04-12-16, 07:45 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Tonight at 9:38pm we finally finished our list of things we wanted to acomplish on our SC300. Now we just have to save up the $$$ to paint the car.

This small piece was all that was left of the 4x8 sheet we started with on rebuilding the trunk. Probably 1/3 was mistakes etc.

Started rebuilding the doors. Was surprised at how good a shape the cables were in.

Backs of the doors like all SCs were starting to break apart etc. So tried to put some fiberglass and resin in all the spots.

Mixed up to much resin so spread it over almost the entire back of the doors.

Installed the 6.5 Cerwin Vegas in the front doors. Plastic cover on both doors was gone. Hope by replacing this will cure my leak on black floor boards.

Not really happy with the way the doors look but they are better than what we started with.

Proud of how hard my son worked/working on the car. From where we started to now has been an amazing change. Think once we get the paint on it will be better than when it came off the dealer lot.
Old 04-14-16, 08:55 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna resin my panels as well for reinforcement.
Old 04-15-16, 02:50 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximo018
I'm gonna resin my panels as well for reinforcement.
don't just resin, it's not that sturdy, throw some actual fiberglass in there as well, at least 2 layers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1992 SC300 5spd Chicken Coop Restore (tons pics)