Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

The Bastard- Supra MkIV Lexus edition

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 03:51 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Exhaust

The OBX 3īcat back exhaust is in the lower price segment( 378USD), but has had good reviews on the supraforums.

Welded plug for the AFR

Old 09-16-16, 03:57 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

FMIC

An ebay intercooler measuring 600mm x 300mm x 76mm. I decided to paint it matt black to make it discreet. Maybe it looses some of the cooling capacity whit the paint(?), but I went for it anyway.
Instead of moving the coolant reservoir, I decided to modify it to be able to keep it in the stock position. Iīll, use the oem tubes/hoses in the engine bay.

Old 09-16-16, 04:01 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Old 09-16-16, 04:08 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Hybrid Turbos

A company in Stockholm has helped me to upgrade a pair of stock twins with steel exhaust wheels and billet compressor wheels.It should be quite similar to the upgrade that driftmotion offers. Ordering a pair from driftmotion to Sweden would be very expensive with the shipping costs and customs fees. This was about half price compared to getting them from the States.There has been no modification to the wastegates. the billet compressor wheels are ca 6-7 mm bigger than the stock ones in diameter.

Noob questions:
As Iīve mentioned earlier, Iīm a complete noob when it comes to power upgrades. Iīve tried to collect as much info as possible on different build threads here on the forum. I would be very thankful if you gave me some input if I have missed anything important! I have a couple of stupid questions:
a) Blow off valve: will the stock blow off valve be sufficient with these mods,or should I upgrade?
b) down pipe: Iīm planning to use the stock 1jz down pipe. Iīve read somewhere that it can be hard to control boost if the resistance is too low on the exhaust side. Do you think I should go for a bigger down pipe or not?

Old 09-16-16, 08:36 PM
alanflies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic work! I am thinking about the Speedforsale JDM twin turbo upgrade myself...Let me know how you like yours...
Old 09-16-16, 11:02 PM
Lettut
Pole Position

alanfliesFantastic work! I am thinking about the Speedforsale JDM twin turbo upgrade myself...Let me know how you like yours..
Thank you Sir!
Iīll give you a report on how the hybrids work. Canīt wait to get it out on the road again.

PS: Now I have access to your build thread on supraforums. Great work! Cool to see that we have done the same thing, but mirrored . I like how the interior turned out on your car. Where did you buy the seat upholstery? Iīll keep an eye on your build thread
Old 09-19-16, 10:04 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

A comparison between the hybrids(left) and the stock twins (right).

Exhaust side

Maybe a bit silly and unnecessary, but I decided to heat wrap the exhaust from the Y-pipe

Old 09-19-16, 10:16 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

AFR connected

I donīt want the MOT inspectors to get suspicious. Hence the black FMIC and stock tubing in the engine bay.

Old 09-19-16, 10:20 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Boost sensor connected to the intake manifold. This is the way to connect them, right?

Old 09-20-16, 08:26 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Wow coming along great, love the attention to detail. Yeah the map sensor will work like that, make sure the vac hose isn't too long. also on those brass fittings that go on the end of it I use liquid thread sealant (Permatex high temp is what I use) or they tend to leak slightly
Old 09-20-16, 09:08 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Thanks for the input Ali! Iīll put som sealant on it.

PS: Great to see that youīre planning to keep your SC! Stingray + SC300 is nice combo

Old 09-20-16, 01:29 PM
FunCarGo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have an egt sensor? i would be careful with all that exhaust wrap because it could lead to some very high exhaust temps! the heat does not have anywhere to go if everything is wrapped like that. I just use it where I have to shield some other parts (e.g.: brake master c., hood liner) from the heat.

btw: love your build, very inspiring I'm curious what that 1JZ sounds like with your new exhaust!
Old 09-21-16, 12:06 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

do you have an egt sensor? i would be careful with all that exhaust wrap because it could lead to some very high exhaust temps! the heat does not have anywhere to go if everything is wrapped like that. I just use it where I have to shield some other parts (e.g.: brake master c., hood liner) from the heat.

btw: love your build, very inspiring I'm curious what that 1JZ sounds like with your new exhaust!

Thanks for your input FunCarGo ! I am a rookie in this world, so I really appreciate your opinion! The thought of potential negative side effects from "locking in the heat", has absolutely crossed my mind. Then Iīve seen other builds with generous heat wrapping, and read about higher exhaust temperatures giving more efficient engines... . I have no egt-sensor, and I will absolutely listen to you advice, and reduce the heat wrapping.

Other thoughts on heat and heat reduction

*Our cars have a " closed in" engine bay if you compare them to a Subaru for example. Big scoops even on their low performance models. Have Toyota prioritized comfort (sound protection) before heat reduction?
( The euro models of the MkIV had scoops though. It's on the whish list for this car)

* Our hoods have a thick layer of insulation. Wouldnīt it be better to let the heat out? Have someone of you removed it?

*Electric vs oem viscous fan. I personally don't want to convert to an electric fan because of the lower reliability . But don't you also loose some of the passive cooling effect of the complete engine , (exhaust included), with the on/off effect compared to the continious cooling of a viscous fan? Of course cooling the radiator is prio one for the fan, but constant ventilation of the engine bay itself canīt be bad? Even more important if you spend a lot of time in city traffic.

* Iīve been looking on vented carbon fibre hoods for the sc and the supra, but most of the models Iīve seen are built in a way so that they let the rain water come into the engine bay. I guess itīs ok if you live in California or Dubai, but here in Northern Europe, itīs not a good alternative.Does anyone of you guys have any suggestions on any "rainproof" ventilated hood?
Old 10-01-16, 06:03 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Start up with hybrid turbos, FMIC, OBX-exhaust, Mines ecu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHgm...ature=youtu.be

Now itīs up and running again. Did the first start up yesterday. Havenīt driven it on the road yet. Still checking for leaking hoses etc. During the first start up the AFR showed lean values (15-16) during idle. I think it was due to a leaking downpipe. I fixed that yesterday, and now it looks better
The OBX exhaust sounds great. It still has the silencer in the muffler. Iīll try without it later on.
The TRD single clutch feels good. Smooth and silent.

Redid the heat wrapping on the exhaust. Now I use heat shields only on the upper side.

Old 10-02-16, 12:39 AM
alanflies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purrs like a kitten... I'll bet she's a screamer with those twins.

Quick Reply: The Bastard- Supra MkIV Lexus edition