Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Geoff's swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 07:48 AM
zensation
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geoff's swap thread

Hello my name is Geoff and im an addict….

For some back ground I bought my 2008 ISF back in September of 2015. It was a steal, I paid 18000 and flew up to Pennsylvania to drive it down. It was a R title but the guy I bought it from sent me extensive pictures from the front end collision and there was only bumper hood and fender damage, no frame damage at all (which I have since confirmed from having the entire front end apart) so I decided to take the plunge for 18k and I usually do all my own work eh what the heck. I flew up there and the car was as clean as pictured so I slapped down the cash and drove it home.

Last edited by zensation; 01-31-17 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-09-16, 08:07 AM
zensation
Driver School Candidate

Default 3/5/16

Received my flash tuned ECU from Rafi at RR Racing and all new fluids in today so I will flush the coolant system and all that today. Also got 12 qts of AT WS fluid in case the trans needs any
Old 03-09-16, 10:12 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by zensation
This is where the real trouble begins. I am driving to a friends house cruising listening to some tunes at about 2000 rpm when the engine starts to struggle a bit I check all temp gauges and and everything is fine. No CEL is on so I continue on warily paying close attention to the dash.. about a mile down the road the engine just cut out. At this point im thinking something electrical. Trying to start it a few times and nothing. I get a tow home swap the battery and try some other things still nothing then I realize what im hearing is the starter engage the flywheel but not turn over the engine. My worst fear is confirmed as I try to turn the engine over by hand and it is stuck fast. Well ****. At that point I take the front end off the car and begin disconnecting the wire harness with a few friends, some beer and some pizza.
After the lower part of the engine apart, I discover that rod bearings 1 and 2 on the same journal are seized to the crank. Heads look great. So rebuildable but needing 2 rods a full set of bearings and likely a new crank shaft.
The beginning of February I flew out to CA for work so I decide to hold off making any decisions until I got back.
So what was the cause of this?
Old 03-09-16, 10:39 AM
zensation
Driver School Candidate

there was no indicator as to what the cause was. I looked for any signs of abuse but the valve covers had no dark oil sheen on them(as is an indicator old burnt oil from infrequent change intervals) but the engine itself except for the siezed bearings looks decent actually. there was 90k miles on it and i didnt own it for all those miles so maybe it was just over revved a ton before i bought it and finally decided to give out on me but it never lost oil pressure. other than that there was a bunch of shimmer in the oil pan and the oil filter from the destroyed bearings. I chalked it up to just unfortunate happenings. Anything else would just be speculation at this point.
Old 03-09-16, 11:17 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

I've been following your posts of Facebook (and maybe you posted a few here in another thread?

Either way, major props to you for doing the work yourself.

I got excited when I saw "swap thread" because I was hoping it was some kind of high power LS or other monster engine, but this is still interesting.

Will definitely be following this!
Old 03-09-16, 04:02 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

This is a very interesting & informative thread. Thank you for sharing.

And as Lolfunxion said, major props to you sir for doing all the work yourself.

Did you opt for an increased rev limit with your reflashed ecm?

Dennis
Old 03-09-16, 10:23 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Props to you on this sir!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-10-16, 05:41 AM
zensation
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tas02
This is a very interesting & informative thread. Thank you for sharing.

And as Lolfunxion said, major props to you sir for doing all the work yourself.

Did you opt for an increased rev limit with your reflashed ecm?

Dennis
thanks! and yes I went with the 7200 rpm redline option.
Old 03-10-16, 05:45 AM
zensation
Driver School Candidate

Update on the transmission issue....

going off of my hunch that the oil pan was drained prior to removint the trans from the car, I added 3 qts of trans fluid and went for another drive. That seemed to make all the difference in the world. Still not sure how low I was exactly but It feels healthy now at least. so add it to the books that a trans low on fluid will put the car into limp mode and cause eratic shifting.
Old 03-10-16, 10:33 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Impressive stuff!

Nice to see someone roll up their sleeves and get stuck in like that.

Glad you got the limp mode issue sorted.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-10-16, 01:31 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
So what was the cause of this?
$10 it was the first front end collision that resulted in the rebuilt title.
Old 03-10-16, 07:46 PM
zensation
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
$10 it was the first front end collision that resulted in the rebuilt title.
I really don't think that's what he was aking haha
Old 03-11-16, 09:18 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^^^
Or maybe it was?

I mean, you indicated there was no evidence of overheating or coolant/oil loss. So couldn't the failure be related to trauma of some sort?

I'm certainly no ME. Just curious as I have the 7200 upgrade like you do.

Dennis
Old 03-16-16, 06:31 AM
zensation
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tas02
^^^^^
Or maybe it was?

I mean, you indicated there was no evidence of overheating or coolant/oil loss. So couldn't the failure be related to trauma of some sort?

I'm certainly no ME. Just curious as I have the 7200 upgrade like you do.

Dennis
well i cant prove that the bump didnt affect the engine but the bump was the equivalent of like a 5mph tap and there was not really any jolt or shock or anything, the trailer hitch on the guys truck really just broke the tabs on my grill. my buddy just wrapped his 350z around a tree and pulled his engine out and dropped it into another rolling chassis and its perfectly fine so i would doubt that toyota made this engine that fragile. There is 90000 un accounted for miles on my bum engine so i think it just wasnt properly taken care of before i got it.
Old 03-16-16, 07:51 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by zensation
well i cant prove that the bump didnt affect the engine but the bump was the equivalent of like a 5mph tap and there was not really any jolt or shock or anything, the trailer hitch on the guys truck really just broke the tabs on my grill. my buddy just wrapped his 350z around a tree and pulled his engine out and dropped it into another rolling chassis and its perfectly fine so i would doubt that toyota made this engine that fragile. There is 90000 un accounted for miles on my bum engine so i think it just wasnt properly taken care of before i got it.
Sounds about right to me given how few cases of engine failure have been reported over the years.

Here we are 8yrs later with just a handful of engine issues with the F. When you consider how many F's there are across the globe, I still think this is another bullet-proof masterpiece from Yamaha/Lexus.

Quick Reply: Geoff's swap thread