Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 10:46 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

^^ I loosen the nuts on the bottom of the 2 motor mounts. Then I unhook anything that might be a problem for tilting the motor (rad hoses, power steering lines, etc). Then you can literally rock the motor with very little effort by hand. If I want to tilt it and have it stay put, I'll just put a 2x4 on a car jack and use it to push up on the front edge of the oil pan to tilt the motor back.
Old 09-16-16, 12:38 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

awesome, though it might be that easy but wanted to confirm for when I do that. I need to get one of those power steering line I still have that crazy stock cooler return line thing bugs the carp out of me when the intercooler piping goes on and off.
Old 09-23-16, 05:32 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Thought I'd share this. Shifter actually fits better in the stock surround instead of the gated surround.
Old 09-24-16, 02:54 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

woah was not expecting that, nice!!
Old 09-24-16, 02:59 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

awesome, looks nice! That's with the 240sx diy shifter right?
Old 09-24-16, 04:43 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Yes. Keep in mind that I have the bend that the shifter has, bending forward. If it was bending towards the rear, not sure how muxh itd be different.
Old 09-26-16, 05:35 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Ahh OK. I was wondering how it would line up in that orientation. I didn't think it would work like that though because when I tried it, I couldn't get in 1,3,5 gears because the shifter was banging into the linkage piece. Maybe the whole assembly just needed to be tweaked a little though.. Looks perfect though!
Old 09-26-16, 06:08 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

For some reason, when I go to shift towards the right, like I'm trying to shift into 5th or 6th, it's sticky. It'l like I have to give it extra pressure to go to the right, and of course then when it does, it goes too far like all the way to the reverse portion. I'm not sure why it feels sticky. Literraly like there is a small interference that I have to push past. I'm not sure why, it's not like that at all going to the left for 1st/2nd. I talked to Brett Fenning, he mentoined removing the ball/spring under the black plate and see if the problem goes away.

Side note, I tried out my buddies MKIV who has the fenning shifter. It felt nice. It was still close ratio from left to right, but maybe it's because the shifter is taller/extended, it wasn't as bad as this one. Also, in his car when I shift towards the right, it sort of stops at the 5th/6th gate, so it feels nice like you won't go too far to the right and accidentally hit Reverse. The just apply more pressure to get to Reverse. What's odd to me though, was I asked him if he did that spring modification that Brett recommends with his shifter, which would explain that. And he said no, he just installed the shifter, didn't do anything in the transmission. So that's strange, I don't understand how his sort of stops you from going to reverse then, as I thought that was the spring mod that did that. None the less I really liked it. I may either look into trying to extend my shifter a little taller, or I may just end up buying his shifter altogether.
Old 09-27-16, 05:14 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Your interference might be with your driveshaft knuckle and the piece that you made, so check that out. I had the same issue with that stock piece, and I had to belt sand more of a chamfer on the one side to completely miss the knuckle as it rotated. I don't know why the fenning shifter would have a reverse prevention feature without doing the spring mod. I know that I have to give it more pressure to get all the way over for the simple fact that its all the way over to the right, and you really have to compress the springs to get it over there.
Old 09-27-16, 05:30 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Oh yeah, and to be honest with you, you get used to the shifting points. I would hold off on doing anything more with the shifter until you put some time in on the setup. It might save you some money when/if you realize that you will get used to it
Old 09-27-16, 06:11 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

My buddies shifter in his supra, I could get used to that. This one, the issue with it being a little stuck going to the right, I seriously cannot tell if I'm in 6th or Reverse. I need to just figure out what that sticky feeling is, and then I think I'll be OK. I will see if it's the piece hitting the knuckle, thanks for the idea. I know they are close, but pretty sure I made it so they will clear. But I will check none-the-less.
Old 09-27-16, 07:18 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this just dry shifting or is your motor running with this sticky feeling?
Old 09-27-16, 09:04 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

just dry shifting. Car hasn't been started in a year now as I was going through this change. And also, the trans doesn't have fluid in it either. Perhaps I just need to get everything filled back up, get the car running again, then see if that sort of takes care of it and im troubleshooting a none-issue right now.
Old 09-27-16, 09:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I did notice with your piece it was harder to shift than my original one, i don't feel very comfortable using it but I thought maybe it was due to the height differences etc.. for some reason my original bent brass version had a more predictable throw, its wierd cause they seem almost identical in actual location. it seems that just small variations can do alot to the shift feel, maybe needs to be tweaked or I would have to agree with you one of the premade versions might be worth it unless round 2 is in order.
Old 09-27-16, 11:00 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Brett told me to remove the ball/spring under the black plate to see if that makes a difference at all. I'm going to try that and see what it does. Otherwise if this continues to be iffy, I'm just going to drop the money on his shifter I think.

Quick Reply: CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400