Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 10:25 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All masked and primed. Waiting about a half hour to let this primer set, then going to put a few coats of top and clear

Old 04-17-16, 01:03 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Bay all done and painted. Pretty happy with how it came out

Here is a pic now. I will try to get some higher res pics with my actual camera later:

Old 04-17-16, 03:23 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
I have been running the block adapper plate for a few years now. Switching to a340 setup this year.
Nice, keep us updated with how that goes. Any reason for converting from the setup you already have?
Old 04-17-16, 03:25 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Halon just purchased an A340 bellhousing adapter kit from Collins. I'm sure he will update us with how everything went in. If I could do it over again, and knowing what I know now, I would consider that option a bit more. I just didn't like how it looked. Everything about it looked so rigged and pieced together, the cd009 to adapter to A340, then the clutch kit which would be a mix and match of Toyota and NIssan parts. I would rather just stick with the regular kit. Pull the motor once, which I kind of needed to do anyway to clean things up, bang in the firewall and now I should be good for future maintenance
I get that, but the way I look at it, this entire transmission option is a hybridized intermix cluster**** anyway lol, so I'm not worried about that part of it. I just hate buying the same parts twice. If I can get away with upgrading my 2JZ parts at first and then just need to get a Nissan clutch disc later, I'm happier with that.
Old 04-17-16, 05:45 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

My reason is fitment. Removing / installing is not fun, hoping this setup fits a little better.
Old 04-17-16, 07:53 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Halon
My reason is fitment. Removing / installing is not fun, hoping this setup fits a little better.
Gotcha. Definitely in for info.
Old 04-18-16, 05:10 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Here is pic of bay with my camera:

Old 04-18-16, 10:49 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

So loveSC (single clutch) and Skidder (twin clutch) are using block adapter plate ?

Halon are you moving into an adapter with the 340 bellhousing ? Twin or triple disk ?

What about Asha'man ? Ali , buddy ... do you have an adapter plate already, which did you go into and how is it going ?

One on SF by the name shortpersonbk is on a maverick with twin plate .. already installed on a Miata but not yet running ..

closely monitoring your progress guys so I can decide if I want to try this setup , if it can handle what I want it to handle and it is worth it (price wise / trouble (work) wise / risk wise) compared to the V160.

thanks to all for sharing your experiences ..
Old 04-18-16, 11:39 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

A340 adapter with a heavy single disc setup (2800ish w/ 6-puck). That clutch is a stop gap for now to get back on the road. Will eventually be running a Collins twin disc in the future, at least that's the plan for now.
Old 04-18-16, 11:46 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

that A340 bellhousing adapter is the best I see right now for easy install and maintainance ....

And the damn adapter seems so thick ... so holding the trans and engine together should be good

Only thing is I haven't seen or read a thread with a true tested twin or rather triple (for me) clutch for high torque applications.
Old 04-18-16, 12:36 PM
SCSkidder
Rookie

So, Ive come to the conclusion that I am not willing to risk the extra effort of installing this trans without fitment issue. I am going to cut the firewall/trans tunnel and make a filler panel to make sure theres plenty of rooom. I have plenty of space under the dash (no heater core or any interior).. I ll cut across the trans tunel and then up the firwall a bit and push that piece up into the cab, then make a small filler.. maybe an hours work to save the extra hassle down the road.
Old 04-18-16, 06:41 PM
SCSkidder
Rookie

Man after mounting the adapter and the flywheel spacer, this thing sticks out SUUPER far.
Old 04-19-16, 04:08 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCSkidder
So, Ive come to the conclusion that I am not willing to risk the extra effort of installing this trans without fitment issue. I am going to cut the firewall/trans tunnel and make a filler panel to make sure theres plenty of rooom. I have plenty of space under the dash (no heater core or any interior).. I ll cut across the trans tunel and then up the firwall a bit and push that piece up into the cab, then make a small filler.. maybe an hours work to save the extra hassle down the road.

That's not a bad idea. I thought of that as well but decided against it because I didn't want to hack up my driver. But for a drifter, that makes perfect sense. Especially since you will be removing it quite often.

Originally Posted by SCSkidder
Man after mounting the adapter and the flywheel spacer, this thing sticks out SUUPER far.
Yeah man, that is the biggest issue with getting this trans to fit nice. The fact that the flywheel is so massive (at least on the single disc option with custom flywheel) it makes the clutch assembly hang so far out that you can't get the fat part of the bellhousing in to the wide part of the firewall. This cd009 would play so much nicer if it was a trans type that you tightened down the clutch assembly to the flywheel through an access hole, like the R154. The thought has actually crossed my mind to cut some access holes in the bellhousing. Then can just slide the clutch assembly on the input shaft so that it is out of the way when trying to mate the trans. Then just tighten the pressure plate down to the flywheel through the access holes by spinning the driveshaft to line them up one by one.
Old 04-19-16, 09:02 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Looking good in here, lots of progress and discussion. Gerrb I am taking a break from the SC for a bit so 6 speed project is on hold although I still have my custom 240 shifter almost done. I think I am in your boat in that I want to go with a good dual or triple clutch option (I am so sick of my single 6 puck right now) and the maverick looks nice but interested to see how it works out or if more options will be available later this year.
I am actually in full audi mode at the moment lol gotta see what an awd burnout feels like before next winter.
Old 04-19-16, 10:53 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I'm thinking that while I have the motor out, I might as well take off the manifolds and paint them too

Quick Reply: CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400