CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 05:06 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got some goodies today:

Collins adapter, trans mount, differential adapter, and hardware:

ACT clutch kit: (I didn't bother to even open it since I will be selling this and going with a South Bend stage 3 Endurance kit. This ACT pressure plate has a 3460 lbs clamping force rating, where as the South Bend has a 2850 lbs clamping force rating. Stock PP has been said to have anywhere from 1800lbs to 2600lbs rating. It seems like nobody really knows the actual value.. The South Bend kit will be much lighter on the crank, will be much easier to drive, and holds good power. The guys over on SF swear by the South Bend kit as one of the best single disc options)

1 piece driveshaft, Aluminum. Came in a box from Shaftmasters:

Differential from 2002 LS430, which is 3.26 gear ratio to better suit the 6 speed gearing:

Here is a pic of the Collins adapter again. My first impression is that the paint is done poorly on it, and I really hope that I don't have to use any of these holes that are right along the edge of the plate, because some of them are really close to breaking through. I can't imagine how any of them would be able to withstand any stress. I can't believe that there wasn't more material left around some of these holes.. Maybe there is a reason for needing to hold to certain dimensions, I'm not sure. I haven't test fitted it yet, and probably will not be able to until the weekend, but I really hope that everything lines up and that I don't have to use any of these holes

Flywheel is due to come in tomorrow
Old 02-18-16, 05:05 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Collins flywheel came in. UPS package says weight is 21 lbs. Looks like a good piece. UPS tracking says it came from Clutchmasters. So, good to know that it came from a good company

Old 02-18-16, 06:41 PM
NOLAGG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Collins flywheel came in. UPS package says weight is 21 lbs. Looks like a good piece. UPS tracking says it came from Clutchmasters. So, good to know that it came from a good company

Hey man I just installed this kit with a JWT street clutch kit . Only thing I had to do was sand down the pilot adaptor with 600 grit sand paper around the perimeter to slide the flywheel over it since he told me their machined to 1000ths of an inch and for hours wasn't sliding over it so what I did was sand a little test it, sand a little, test it till it went on. So far the kit works well, no problems and daily driven.

Any questions fire away
Old 02-18-16, 07:45 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
Hey man I just installed this kit with a JWT street clutch kit . Only thing I had to do was sand down the pilot adaptor with 600 grit sand paper around the perimeter to slide the flywheel over it since he told me their machined to 1000ths of an inch and for hours wasn't sliding over it so what I did was sand a little test it, sand a little, test it till it went on. So far the kit works well, no problems and daily driven.

Any questions fire away
Thanks bro, I appreciate it!
Old 02-22-16, 07:10 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I updated posts 1 and 2. Started playing with the adapter plate and getting the cd009 ready to start test fitting. Hopefully this weekend, I will have the adapter mounted and will start to play with the trans without the clutch or flywheel fitted just to get an idea of what I will be looking at.

Also, got my clutch kit delivered today. South Bend kit NSK1000-SS-TZ with silent disc. Apparently silent disc absorbs more vibrations and reduces chatter. Rated for 575 ft lb flywheel torque and drives like stock (supposedly). It's a full face Kevlar disc. They have been known to hold more power than the rated, so I am hoping it will hold 575 ft lb at the wheels, if I ever need/want that much:

Last edited by LoveSCs; 02-22-16 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-26-16, 05:32 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Got the grease in that I had to order because I couldn't find any lithium grease with Molybdenum Disulfide in any of the local auto parts stores, and the 350z clutch manual specifies to use such grease:

It was actually very difficult to find a grease that is marketed as lithium with Moly. But who knows, maybe most grease has moly in it, but I am just so **** that I want it to be clearly labeled as such. But here is the grease:

It is MO-LITH No. 2 and is made by Lubriplate. I got it from partsgeek for about $15 with shipping. I have updated post 1 and added it to parts list
Old 02-26-16, 08:51 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good! can't wait to see you bolt it up. is there some spacer for the back of the flywheel included with the kit? I don't remember seeing that before.

i had a bunch of unused holes on the adapter plate also, im not sure if the adapter plate has several uses for different engines or what.

also got a 3.26 diff in my garage myself, haven't installed it yet though, i kinda like the short ratios for the sake of acceleration right now, and with the stock sc400 diff i rock about 2500 rpm at 65 mph so its not too bad. i do have tall tires though.
Old 02-26-16, 09:11 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by estomax
looking good! can't wait to see you bolt it up. is there some spacer for the back of the flywheel included with the kit? I don't remember seeing that before.

i had a bunch of unused holes on the adapter plate also, im not sure if the adapter plate has several uses for different engines or what.

also got a 3.26 diff in my garage myself, haven't installed it yet though, i kinda like the short ratios for the sake of acceleration right now, and with the stock sc400 diff i rock about 2500 rpm at 65 mph so its not too bad. i do have tall tires though.
Thanks Marko!

That spacer is the stock spacer that was behind my flexplate when I removed it. And yeah, I am also assuming that the adapter plate has multiple uses. I just hate how thin the wall is on some of the holes that we have to use. Doesn't make any sense at all to have a wall that thin. It's almost breaking through.

I have also been thinking of keeping the SC400 diff in for that very same reason. And I'm glad you mentioned your cruising rpm at 65mph because I was wondering what it would end up at. A website had an rpm calculator that I used and it actually calculated right around there, so I'm glad to hear that you can confirm that. I might just keep the sc diff in since I don't do much highway driving anyway
Old 02-26-16, 10:20 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I just contacted Brett Collins and asked him if that spacer that was between the auto flexplate and crankshaft is required. He said that it is NOT required to be used with the new kit. So the flywheel just bolts directly to the crankshaft.

I have updated post 1 to reflect that.
Old 02-27-16, 07:27 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Question. I've been following this and watching some local listings for CD009 trans and came across one that is being listed as CD009 but the tag on it says JK41A right where your CD009 tag is. What's the difference. It literally looks exactly the same, I can post pictures too.

Where yours says CD0 #2 his says CD8 #1 and yours and his both say CD4 #2 at the same spot. Is this the same or no?
Old 02-27-16, 01:27 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Question. I've been following this and watching some local listings for CD009 trans and came across one that is being listed as CD009 but the tag on it says JK41A right where your CD009 tag is. What's the difference. It literally looks exactly the same, I can post pictures too.

Where yours says CD0 #2 his says CD8 #1 and yours and his both say CD4 #2 at the same spot. Is this the same or no?
The JK41A is the transmission for the G37. It will have the internal concentric slave cylinder/clutch release bearing, rather than the external slave cylinder and clutch fork/release bearing setup that the CD009 has. You can specify that transmission when purchasing a Collins kit, so I imagine it can be used. I imagine with it being a newer transmission than the CD009, it would have the same synchro setup as the CD009, so I wouldn't worry there. I have just read on a few different places that the CD009 with external slave is easier to do. Although I can't remember what the reasoning was.
Old 02-27-16, 08:02 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I got the adapter plate mounted. I updated post 2.

Tomorrow, going to have to remove the exhaust. There will not be room to squeeze the transmission by the downpipe. So, going to remove the exhaust, bolt up the starter, and start test fitting the trans in
Old 02-28-16, 04:54 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Some more progress today. Updated posts 2 and 3. Did not have to completely remove the exhaust off of the car. Just removed v band clamp on downpipe and removed exhaust hangers and moved the exhaust out of the way. I mounted the starter. But don't know how I'm going to get to the top bolt.. Test fitted the trans, and it is going to be a real tight fit. To the point that I am hoping that it fits, because I don't want to have to start beating the tunnel in. I had to pound a little on the firewall around where the bellhousing mounting bolts are going to be. It's not fun.

Next I have to make a cutout in the tunnel for the manual shifter and get a measurement so that I can order in the relocated shifter. Then I'm going to clean off the trans components (input shaft, pivot ball, fork, flywheel, pressure plate) with brake cleaner, then lube all parts that require lubrication properly, and mount flywheel, disc, and pressure plate. Then, I can try and see if I can get the trans in. This probably won't happen until next weekend.
Old 03-05-16, 06:53 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Updated post 3. Today I removed all of the auto trans related guts from under the shift lever bezel interior trim. I got a dimension of about 29-7/8" from the mounting face of the Collins adapter to make the shifter sit centered in the trim. I am talking to CBF Performance for the custom shifter. He said that the base of the shifter sits about 4" above the inspection plate of the cd009. His shortest shifter is a 7" long shifter, which would put the top of the shifter about 11" above the inspection plate, which to me seems pretty long. He can make the shifter to whatever height you want, but the shorter you make it, the more shifting experience is compromised.

Also, I was able to get to the top starter nut with a stubby ratcheting wrench
Old 03-05-16, 08:28 PM
NOLAGG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Updated post 3. Today I removed all of the auto trans related guts from under the shift lever bezel interior trim. I got a dimension of about 29-7/8" from the mounting face of the Collins adapter to make the shifter sit centered in the trim. I am talking to CBF Performance for the custom shifter. He said that the base of the shifter sits about 4" above the inspection plate of the cd009. His shortest shifter is a 7" long shifter, which would put the top of the shifter about 11" above the inspection plate, which to me seems pretty long. He can make the shifter to whatever height you want, but the shorter you make it, the more shifting experience is compromised.

Also, I was able to get to the top starter nut with a stubby ratcheting wrench
Brett fenning on fb makes the shifter for 200$ shipped I believe ands is a direct fit as best a fitment youll get .

Quick Reply: CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400