Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

^^^ you can get them widened to 11.5

Remember though you will need spacers .
Old 07-09-16, 02:53 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have also heard about people using the rears on the front and then widening the fronts and putting them out back, not sure if that helps with offets or why its done just something I heard from others a few times.

So I didn't end up checking out that sc430. I got a bunch of the audi parts in and realized this is going to take me a while with the free time I have, so I am going to hold off till at least next year, yeah sorry Gerrb you will likely pioneer that one ahead of me, but I still plan to build one when I am in a place with a larger garage.

So going to fix up the SC as its not going anywhere for now. I was at the Truck and Jeep 4wheels parts show thing and I was surprised how 99% of the stuff was for Jeeps, but they did have some coilovers and other small items for the toyota trucks at least, also light bars and lights in general weren't bad.

I managed to score a good deal on the "Clean" no residue fire extinguishers for cars, double what a regular dry chemical extinguisher costs but If I were to need to use it on the engine bay I rather not make everything worse with a bunch of chemical residue that may or may not come off.

I almost got the chrome one but then I remembered it would blind me where I wanted to mount it.
I know its kind of intense to mount it there, but I just wanted to be readily accessible for everyone.
Just used the bottom hole for the oh Sh$# handle and it mounted quite easily.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-09-16 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-10-16, 02:59 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

^^ That's a great find, Ali! It looks good there too! Although I'll probably stick to a floor mounting location myself

What brand, model and extinguisher type is this? I have been reading up on these a bit but I am still learning and I have been meaning to buy one for my car.

Also... this is probably a naive question but are these no residue extinguishers okay to leave in the car during hot days? Or... dare I say during a rare trip to a very hot locale where a dry 100 degrees is considered "average" or "mild"?
Old 07-10-16, 07:52 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

is there any chance for that Fire Extinguisher getting loose on sudden brakes and breaking any glass or even flying towards you and hurting you ?
Old 07-10-16, 08:15 AM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Spent a couple of hours reading through this thread Ali, and as usual the punctuation and grammar was on point and the content was great.

Seriously though when it comes to the everyday enthusiast my hat's off to you. You've really been a great source of knowledge. I especially like where your head is when it comes to projects, keep looking for the next even though you already have more than enough.

I look forward to more work being done in this thread.
Old 07-10-16, 01:34 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
^^^ you can get them widened to 11.5

Remember though you will need spacers .
11.5" will fit an SC? I feel like that's what my buddy got for his supra, and it just barely fits. And I'd assume a supra has a little more room back there than our cars.
Old 07-10-16, 02:58 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

yes they will... almost similar space . Just need to get the right spacer.
Old 07-10-16, 03:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ That's a great find, Ali! It looks good there too! Although I'll probably stick to a floor mounting location myself

What brand, model and extinguisher type is this? I have been reading up on these a bit but I am still learning and I have been meaning to buy one for my car.

Also... this is probably a naive question but are these no residue extinguishers okay to leave in the car during hot days? Or... dare I say during a rare trip to a very hot locale where a dry 100 degrees is considered "average" or "mild"?
Thanks, Yea I am not sure if I will leave it there but that was the first place I thought to mount it where you can reach it easily. I may look into some other locations.

its a HG250B - H3R Performance HalGuard Clean Agent Fire Extinguisher 2.5lb (the 1lb looked too tiny to do anything). IT does seem to kill the ozone and whatnot but its only for emergencies and doesn't leave residue. A traditional residue one might be more effective but the clean ones work well also.

if you want red its HG250R, chrome is HG250C.

Its pretty hot out here in the daytime and the car is parked towards the sun, so I think its pretty safe to leave it I am sure the car is above 110 right now inside and its still there. I was trying to look this up but it doesn't say online, will take a look at the box again and see if there is a temp range.

Originally Posted by gerrb
is there any chance for that Fire Extinguisher getting loose on sudden brakes and breaking any glass or even flying towards you and hurting you ?
I don't think so its got like an aircraft clamp system, I can't even wiggle it.
But that is a good point maybe a safer location is a good idea instead of at head level, hadn't thought of that.

open to suggestions on places to mount it, only other one I could come up with is by the passengers foot on the side of the console.

Originally Posted by Reyke
Spent a couple of hours reading through this thread Ali, and as usual the punctuation and grammar was on point and the content was great.

Seriously though when it comes to the everyday enthusiast my hat's off to you. You've really been a great source of knowledge. I especially like where your head is when it comes to projects, keep looking for the next even though you already have more than enough.

I look forward to more work being done in this thread.
Thanks, yeah I need to cool it on some of the "future" projects and finish the ones I have, but you are right my mind is always wandering to the next thing to figure out.

Originally Posted by Halon
11.5" will fit an SC? I feel like that's what my buddy got for his supra, and it just barely fits. And I'd assume a supra has a little more room back there than our cars.
No clue, the fitment on a supra and SC are basically the same I think.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-10-16 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-10-16, 03:28 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

apparently they make a seat mount also, looks pretty neat, may just get this. part number SM01BK

Old 07-10-16, 05:53 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I like that seat mount. Thanks for reminding me to get a "clean" extinguisher.
Old 07-10-16, 06:01 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

$77 for that seat mount, wow. That's about $5 worth of materials and maybe that much again for "machining," being quite generous. Looks like a good template for DIY ideas... Before trying it, I would probably place the extinguisher, or something of similar size, in that general area and see if it makes it difficult to get in and out of the car with your preferred seating position. Sometimes, that's right where you want to place your foot.
Old 07-11-16, 07:21 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah its pretty expensive for a mount, but its a bolt on type affair no thinking required.
Old 07-11-16, 07:42 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Yeah its pretty expensive for a mount, but its a bolt on type affair no thinking required.
Agree, and sometimes that's worth it, especially when your only talking $70.
Old 07-11-16, 01:40 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

^^ Personally I'll opt for their seat mount but for someone with a workshop and metal lathe handy it can't be that difficult to design your own after sourcing a couple of off the shelf pieces to start with. The price for this isn't bad at all if it's sturdy.
Old 07-11-16, 02:11 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

It's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, but it's a ridiculous markup. That's the price range of a Sparco seat slider, which is twice the materials and ten times the manufacturing. I hate it when people price themselves out of the market, charging double what they could/should and selling 10% as much as a result.

Quick Reply: Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread