Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 11:53 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Matter of fact, I just found the old DIY post on how a guy made one for his DSM in the same kind of manner.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/bui...nifold.273139/
Old 02-24-16, 10:21 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Yeah there are a ton of ways to make a better intake manifold. You don't need much more volume than something like a stock gte plenum unless you are shooting for a huge hp build. The advantage of the D plenum and the half round was just that its easy to trace out the gasket on the bottom so you can have a bolt on solution, if you are welding then you can do pretty much whatever you can plan out. I may make a new design down the road I have one I was working on but ran into hood clearance issues instead.

engine is out and going to start prep for its new home. its still lexus related cause I stuffed the entire thing into the back of my GX, with space to spare for my toolkit =)

Old 02-24-16, 10:35 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

lmao, looks like a Chipotle burrito, stuffed to the max!
Old 02-29-16, 12:02 PM
eblick99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread! its fun to see all of your projects, and get ideas for mine. I was curious if you still run the XS power ebay turbo or if that got switched out?
Old 02-29-16, 02:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Halon
lmao, looks like a Chipotle burrito, stuffed to the max!
haha yeah it does. I was planning to pull it on a trailer but after seeing the thing it looked small enough to just drop in the back.

Originally Posted by eblick99
great thread! its fun to see all of your projects, and get ideas for mine. I was curious if you still run the XS power ebay turbo or if that got switched out?
Thanks. believe it or not the xs power turbo it still on the car and kicking, haven't had an issue with it yet but I do plan to swap it out for a BW after the audi madness is over. I will probably keep it for another project or backup but its been a pretty decent little turbo, doesn't make the most power in the world but the spool is pretty good.
Old 03-11-16, 10:42 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Oh how I love standalones

I got some time to uninstall the jdm 6 speed ecu + map ecu last night and throw in the aem ems v1.
uploaded the tune I had come up with from one of my earlier tunes.... that went pretty well.

Went to start it.. just keeps cranking. getting stat sync'd. everything else is looking good.
Guessing the fuel must be off and/or I need to adjust the timing, will try again later on tonight.

It would have been nice if it started cause it would make it much easier to set the timing then.... oh well aem makes me do everything the hard way. The weather is warm also so it better start at some point lol.
Old 03-11-16, 11:29 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What made you go with the V1 instead of the V2 or the Infinite?
Old 03-11-16, 12:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

besides being newer and costing alot more, the v2 supports flex fuel and sequential ignition over the v1 (plus other little stuff here and there).

I run wasted spark vvti coils and am pretty happy with them, and am not planning on using flex fuel so for me the v1 works just fine and they have dropped in price alot so its pretty affordable (I have like 3 different project cars so I try to save where I can). if I run E85 it will be all the time, so I don't need flex fuel either.

I think I narrowed it down to being timing, or I may need to change the wiring for the coils at the ecu back to just having 3 wires (its currently setup like the tt ecu mod where 6 wires go to 3). I thought it would run fine with the 6 > 3 cause I think a supra would be wired like that from factory.. but if I can't get it to start tonight its on my list of things to try.

Really hope I get it running at least because there are a couple meets tomorrow I would like to drive the car to lol.
Old 03-12-16, 02:02 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Ali thought I'd show u this pic. He just took a Drexel to his stock cam cover and painted it black. Turned out awesome I thought, I know u were thinking about painting the cam cover so thought this might be something you would like. I'll probably end up doing something similarly.
Attached Thumbnails Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread-10584472_1161924083825225_1549800976_n.jpg  
Old 03-14-16, 09:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

That does look pretty good, I already have a cam cover I dremeled open like that and it was plastidipped black, but one time I almost dropped a bolt down there so I took it off lol... didn;t want to risk running it open like that anymore which is why I like the clear cover. I may just paint the clear cover at some point, or get some cam gears and throw on a purple timing belt but I just don't trust aftermarket cam gears a whole lot, keep seeing ones destroyed in pics online. was thinking of getting a spare set of OEM's and powdercoating the spokes/inside parts and leaving the gear part alone... but wont be for a while, fully into the audi motor swap now, engine is in the car and now just hooking up the million little things.

Figured out the AEM v1 I got isn't turning on my fuel pump, when I jump B+ and Fp in the diagnostic port the car starts and runs, very annoying. looks like I may have to send the ecu into aem because it doesn't seem to be a software issue and I refuse to leave my fuel pump hotwired to the ignition. there goes some more $$$ lol.
Old 04-28-16, 01:52 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

well I put the car back to the TT ecu mod + map ecu v1 and was chasing my tail for a while.

I redid some of the vac lines to go back to the map ecu and as a shortcut I connected it off the line coming from the vac block to the heater... and couldn't figure out a hesitation issue, the ecu was not consistent in AFR's anymore and knocking and whatnot and dumping more fuel.

I decided that the vac line must be it and redid the lines to come off the center of the intake manifold, and that line is only teed with the FPR, and when I started it, perfect idle, perfect cruise, perfect part throttle, knocking 95% gone (I do have some carbon built up that I need to clean out at some point but nothing major).

So yeah, they are not kidding when they say connect the line directly to the intake manfiold, do not use a vac block ever, it was like driving a completely different vehicle.

glad to see she is back in action and going driving quite nice. now I can enjoy it till I tear it down this winter and do motor upgrades and the trans swap. Aem v1 will be sitting on a shelf till then.

I still want to turbo a 1uz almost everytime I see a sc400... gotta leave something for 2017 right?? =)
Old 04-28-16, 02:08 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
well I put the car back to the TT ecu mod + map ecu v1 and was chasing my tail for a while.

I redid some of the vac lines to go back to the map ecu and as a shortcut I connected it off the line coming from the vac block to the heater... and couldn't figure out a hesitation issue, the ecu was not consistent in AFR's anymore and knocking and whatnot and dumping more fuel.

I decided that the vac line must be it and redid the lines to come off the center of the intake manifold, and that line is only teed with the FPR, and when I started it, perfect idle, perfect cruise, perfect part throttle, knocking 95% gone (I do have some carbon built up that I need to clean out at some point but nothing major).

So yeah, they are not kidding when they say connect the line directly to the intake manfiold, do not use a vac block ever, it was like driving a completely different vehicle.

glad to see she is back in action and going driving quite nice. now I can enjoy it till I tear it down this winter and do motor upgrades and the trans swap. Aem v1 will be sitting on a shelf till then.

I still want to turbo a 1uz almost everytime I see a sc400... gotta leave something for 2017 right?? =)
Wow, that's good to know. Glad you got that figured out! I am paranoid about how my car is going to run after putting the motor back in. Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

How did you know it was knocking? Are you using the GM knock sensor with the MAP ECU?

Turbo 1UZ! Do it!!
Old 04-28-16, 03:02 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah I guess my original routing was the best after all, should have put it back exactly how it was in the first place but live and learn. now I know that a vac block just wont cut it for a map sensor. even the boost gauge is reacting different its kinda wierd.

the knocking... lol... its loud, I can hear it from inside the car when it happens but it only happens on part acceleration, I think its a spark knock of some kind. retarding the distributor does not help. if I put the pedal past like 20% into boost it completely disappears.

It never used to do it before but after the last FFIM change I had the PCV hooked up to the FFIM, and it just covered my pistons in oil and built up alot of carbon, why it did that with the FFIM and not with the stock intake I still don't know. I removed the PCV and I put some cleaners in the tank that helped but the problem is I don't drive it enough. now that its running well and a little less rich after tweaking the map ecu again I am going to give it the ol' italian tune up until it clears itself out.

There is no way I am pulling the cylinder head to clean it, I will do a piston soak before that.
oh and I have confirmed sea foam is useless in helping the carbon on the piston tops, all it does is smoke and smoke, did it like a half dozen times. the most effective thing was putting that BG 44K in the tank, I can already feel it clearing up after a couple drives. now that I can drive it on a regular tune hoping it will sort it out.

I will definitely get around to building a turbo 1uz, just a matter of when. right now I have 3 cars (thankfully I am back to 2 of them running) and 1 garage and the math just isn't working out in my favor. the toughest part will be picking the chassis, sc400 or gs400 or toyota pickup... I like them all to be honest.
Old 04-28-16, 07:20 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn, that knock can't be good if it's that loud lol. I hope you get that sorted soon too. I'm surprised the TT ECU isn't correcting for it

"ol Italian tuneup" - had me rolling lol
Old 04-29-16, 04:42 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I will definitely get around to building a turbo 1uz, just a matter of when.
go for it buddy

just like that green GS400 from the chicago weekfest .

Quick Reply: Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread