Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 08:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
Hey Ali, you tried fitting up that spark cover yet? Just had a local guy paint a spare set of GE valve covers and throw them on his car, along with the spark plug cover, just to realise that at some point they changed the GE valve cover design slightly so it doesn't fit. Looking at the pics in this thread of your engine bay, it looks like you have the ones that it'll work. But if it doesn't just let me know. I'm going to start a thread about that because I never realised that.
That is interesting never noticed that either, you sure he didn't do so many coats of paint the holes were off, sometimes that happens with powder coat and also with chrome.
I will maybe get to trying it this weekend, about a foot of snow fell here again, so the SC is still stored away at the moment. I am a bit inbetween moves so most of my tools are packed up, but I still keep a metric socket set handy in the car.. well because It has saved me quite a few times.

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I'll be following up that tree at around the same time so I will be watching closely. I just picked up an AEM V2 for a killer deal so i impulse grabbed it. I ordered 1000's and a 5 Bar MAP yesterday and I am going to try out a really aggressive setup as well. I can't stop thinking about it so I guess it's time. I feel like it's possibly a dumb idea to pull out a system that has started and run flawlessly but the computer nerd in me needs to experience full control and few limits. I'll sell my collection of Aristo ECU's but my JDM Supra ECU will be in a glass case ready for me to come crawling back to it if the standalone/tune is less drivable as a daily. I have my 400 for a daily so I can handle a MILD reduction in drivability but I am not skilled enough to be tweaking a fuel map to get the car started and home from VA. with Wifey should it flip out while away. .
Yeah if you are thinking 1000's and having a bit more fun with it then standalone really adds alot more features that are useful compared to maxing out the tt ecu mod (really that mod is for a reliable 4-500hp with stock characteristics, when you say 1000cc I would expect all stock like characteristics to not work so well anymore), I almost got the v2 for the flex fuel but then decided I dont drive it enough to justify it I can probably fill up a tank of e85 and have it last me a couple months I just drive it for fun on the weekends during the nice months, and the winter its basically stored away now. Still I wouldn't daily it but if you are able to get it started well then you should be alright for the most part, at least you have another car as a backup. If you get a solid tune then a mild reduction is realistic, but if you get any old tune then you might have a severe reduction, really starting and low load situations were the main places that took tweaking, boost and regular driving the aem always worked quite well. try and hook up with a good tuner. I have had my car tuned a couple times before on the aem so I can use my old basemap but it tends to be a little different for every motor. Since you are on the east coast, if you can get a tune from alpha, then get in line itll be worth the wait. be sure to iron out any and all issues before getting tuned like wiring etc... get rid of all the gremlins so you dont need a retune for some reason.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-02-16 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-02-16, 03:30 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
That is interesting never noticed that either, you sure he didn't do so many coats of paint the holes were off, sometimes that happens with powder coat and also with chrome.
I will maybe get to trying it this weekend, about a foot of snow fell here again, so the SC is still stored away at the moment. I am a bit inbetween moves so most of my tools are packed up, but I still keep a metric socket set handy in the car.. well because It has saved me quite a few times.

Yeah if you are thinking 1000's and having a bit more fun with it then standalone really adds alot more features that are useful compared to maxing out the tt ecu mod (really that mod is for a reliable 4-500hp with stock characteristics, when you say 1000cc I would expect all stock like characteristics to not work so well anymore), I almost got the v2 for the flex fuel but then decided I dont drive it enough to justify it I can probably fill up a tank of e85 and have it last me a couple months I just drive it for fun on the weekends during the nice months, and the winter its basically stored away now. Still I wouldn't daily it but if you are able to get it started well then you should be alright for the most part, at least you have another car as a backup. If you get a solid tune then a mild reduction is realistic, but if you get any old tune then you might have a severe reduction, really starting and low load situations were the main places that took tweaking, boost and regular driving the aem always worked quite well. try and hook up with a good tuner. I have had my car tuned a couple times before on the aem so I can use my old basemap but it tends to be a little different for every motor. Since you are on the east coast, if you can get a tune from alpha, then get in line itll be worth the wait. be sure to iron out any and all issues before getting tuned like wiring etc... get rid of all the gremlins so you dont need a retune for some reason.
If I can't get it starting flawlessly, I will go back to the TT ECU. I sourced my parts at low prices so I don't take a loss if i sell them. I am holding onto enough to get that back up and running. So far, I talked to M&S about Alpha, Vinny 10 Racing and Wayne "Speed" Blair. Loads of NYC racers go to them. I am not prepared to put up with any starting issues after a proper tune. I will build that into my agreement. I think my only gremlin was the warm/lean and that's nothing. If this sucks, it will be temporary ;-) . I will choose the tuner that can guarantee me it will not suck to start. That's my pet peeve.
Old 02-03-16, 08:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

making some progress, AEM finally came in from east coast due to snow delays, seems they are still backlogged and I am happy it arrived in one piece. Wont go on the car for a bit as there is afoot of snow on the ground outside so no time to play with it, but I did manage to get the plug covers on.

some pics, I think it looks awesome in person the carbon fiber looks different from every angle
Now I just need some cam gears (cams would be nice too i guess ) and I def regret not putting the purple or blue timing belt on didn't plan on having a clear cover.

Old 02-03-16, 10:42 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks nice. That's about how I want mine to start out as. (On the level of detail)
Old 02-12-16, 10:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Thanks maximo!!

Well I have a tiny update... bad news is I will have to delay the go fast mods on the sc300 for an unknown amount of time, the good news is the weather is good again and I can finally shake the cobwebs off of it and enjoy it for a while as is.

The unknown amount of time is because I recently came across a deal on a 2006 Audi B7 A4 6spd quattro which came loaded with a bunch of audi goodies, (s4 Recaros, rear tuning bumper, carbon fiber lips, nice wheels etc..) and I couldn't pass it up so that will be my project for a while (unknown how long exactly).

It was previously a built 2.0t making impressive amounts of power, then the owner sold the engine and attempted a 2.5L swap, which is a hard swap cause the 2.5t wasn't available in an audi at the time (only in a volkswagen). the owner gave up on the swap after a year, and so I scooped up the whole car minus the engine and I will be putting a 2.7t in there likely a stage 2 at first just to make sure all is running and good first, and then in the future I will likely look into larger turbos and go stage 3/4.

My brother has a b6 s4 avant, the one that came with the v8 that had timing chain issues, and he had his swapped with a 2.7t which is a very similar swap.
It was quite involved but I drove it and its really nice to enjoy an awd turbo car with snow on the ground, its not a rocket like a 2jz, but it still scoots quite nicely and should keep me happy in the winters when I cannot drive my sc300. The GX is great in the winter but I wouldn't call it sporty, I need something a little more fun for a dd I decided.

That's a picture from the previous owner before the engine came out. looks the same now minus the engine plus alot more dust.

When I get a build thread on Audizine, I will post a link here for those guys curious about other cars... you know cars that are not sc300's or 400's or supras

Its been interesting learning all the little stuff about a different type of car, it reminds me so much of all the little things we deal with but they are just completely different, am picking it up quickly though. There aren't but a handfull of 2.7t swapped b7's and everyone does them a little different so should be interesting to say the least. I will get back to the SC at some point this year hopefully.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-12-16 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-12-16, 10:18 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Wow, that looks like a FUN project al least you are not getting rid of the SC.
My brother had a A6 AWD it was fun to drive. It is always good to take a break and do something a bit different, good luck with the build.
Old 02-12-16, 11:46 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

That 5 cyl 2.5 liter can handle a lot of power.....

My buddy local to me has a 2.5l rabbit....we converted it over to single 6266 and swapped in GTI 6 spd

On a side note that 2jzge cover looks good....an improvement to the design would be to add sides where the valve covers dip
Old 02-12-16, 03:33 PM
Jermmzz914
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love the look of that spark plug cover, definitely adds a nice touch to any JZ engine bay
Old 02-12-16, 06:11 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Note that is one of the original prototypes . I agree having it angle down would be nice. However that would take the cost up a major notch. Right now it's just able to be laser cut from flat sheet CF (like the front air covers) so it's pretty cheap to manufacture. To make the sides go down would mean added engineering to get the 3rd dimension designed well and it'd now be a form/mold rather than just a simple cut. The goal was affordable, and this was the first concept that keeps it very affordable.
Old 02-16-16, 01:00 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Wow, that looks like a FUN project al least you are not getting rid of the SC.
My brother had a A6 AWD it was fun to drive. It is always good to take a break and do something a bit different, good luck with the build.
It would be really tough for me to get rid of the SC, likely if I had to get rid of something it would be the GX470, but for now I am keeping all 3.
Yeah it will be a fun break, those a6's are fun, really wasn't even thinking about this sort of build until it just kind happened. should be fun doing something different for a bit.

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
That 5 cyl 2.5 liter can handle a lot of power.....

My buddy local to me has a 2.5l rabbit....we converted it over to single 6266 and swapped in GTI 6 spd

On a side note that 2jzge cover looks good....an improvement to the design would be to add sides where the valve covers dip
Yeah, those 5 cylinders are legendary, but that extra bit of length in that chassis is just no good, have to hack up a bunch of stuff and the mounts have to be custom made, and its not like a straight shot it turns out. I would love to have seen the 2.5 with a single turbo in this chassis, but I have a feeling the 2.7 will make up for it nicely. single 6266 must kick up top pretty hard must be pretty nice.

Thanks, I really like the cover as well. I like that it doesn't dip down actually it lets alot of venting happen that way vs keeping all the air trapped in. still 1000x times better than stock look.

Originally Posted by Jermmzz914
love the look of that spark plug cover, definitely adds a nice touch to any JZ engine bay
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Halon
Note that is one of the original prototypes . I agree having it angle down would be nice. However that would take the cost up a major notch. Right now it's just able to be laser cut from flat sheet CF (like the front air covers) so it's pretty cheap to manufacture. To make the sides go down would mean added engineering to get the 3rd dimension designed well and it'd now be a form/mold rather than just a simple cut. The goal was affordable, and this was the first concept that keeps it very affordable.
Yeah I agree with those points, plus as I mentioned I kinda like that it doesn't dip down.
I didn't have time to paint the valvecovers but will likely just leave it alone as it looks fine.
Old 02-16-16, 03:46 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

The venting is important, especially for those of us using some sort of COP ignition. That's the main reason I also threw some vent slots on the top as well to help let the coils located on the ends vent a little. And glad ya like it!!
Old 02-17-16, 09:39 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah I really like how it fills in all the gaps on top, reminds me of a 1JZGTE valvecover that is more squarish than the rounder 2jzgte setup.

And I get to keep the 2jzge valve covers which let me run 2 big filters right on top so no catch can needed (still have not had a drop of oil come out at 18 psi).

I truly feel that the GTE doesn't have anything on Na-t now. Amazing what some carbon fiber can do.

Now I just need to get that stupid power steering reservoir in the stock spot or by the radiator so I can actually reach things under the intake again, will see when I get some time to mess with it the engine for the Audi is likely getting pulled this week from a parts car A6 (that I also bought) and I have to go strip down the rest of the car for little parts. Apaprently getting a whole parts car saves you a ton of money and I will have things like seats and whatnot to flip or make some chairs out of for playing Forza.. lol.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-17-16 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-17-16, 11:12 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Funny you mention being able to reach things under the intake. I actually have some extruded aluminum sitting at home. If I can ever find some time to do it, I might build my own FFIM that's not as massive. Just removing my oil filter now is a pain. Don't really feel I need a plenum that is that large of volume. Wonder how these XS style plenums compare to stock TT ones volume-wise. Seems like they have to be like twice the volume, probably a bit unnecessary for us street folks.
Old 02-17-16, 11:23 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah the D plenum is really oversized. you could probably even use 3" round aluminum, or RMR also sells a "Half round" plenum which is smaller than the D plenum. I thought about making it out of that once but decided to just go with the D like everyone else.

I did have a project I was working on with the lower half of the stock planum, and for the top a 4" aluminum tube with like the bottom 1/3 cut out of it, but it never came to fruition cause I put the current FFIM on and haven't had time to mess with it.

if you check out on the gte stock plenum, there used to be an upgrade where they cut the top half off and weld in like a 3" pipe or was it 4", I forget but I want to say it was 3" and even that was an upgrade over stock. people still get close to 1000hp on the stock intake manifold, so I dont think its needed its more of an aesthetics thing at that point.

I kinda of like that PNT intake from phillipines that has the entrance a little angled so you can keep the factory power steering reservoir... but it was a bit too pricey for just keeping the reservoir compared to making your own.

I think I may just brake down and relocate the oil filter to by the transmission/starter. that with moving the power steering reservoir I should be able to get to everything I need then... even with the massive plenum.
Old 02-17-16, 11:49 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I'll have to look at that. My design plan was actually quite simple and basic I have some 4" square aluminum tube. I planned to cut the bottom off at an angle to give it a taper. Then just weld a bottom on it with holes to line up with stock lower runners. And weld a plate on front for TB bolting. Extremely simple. I could angle that TB plate a bit so the TB sits at an angle rather than straight ahead, maybe letting me put my PS Reservoir back in the stock location.

For example sake, I came from the DSM world and this was one of the commonly purchased aftermarket intake manifolds. I ran this same one on my Talon. Square, tapered, simple, effective.

Quick Reply: Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread