Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 03:55 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Yeah hoping it will be a blast, I want to get everything I want in this truck build, JZ, manual trans.
finally decided on a JZ on the truck ? Just hard to put them aside knowing what the power train can do huh ?

I see you want to venture again on that AEM again .
Old 01-25-16, 08:14 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I did decide on the JZ for the truck if I do end up going that route, it just has too much potential not to use one and so easy to teardown and throw back together compared to the UZ. also I think I want twins =)

I am currently torn between getting the tacoma/tundra and doing the 2JZ swap like above, or another option for me is to convert the gx470 to manual with r150f with a full time AWD transfer case, and putting a vortech supercharger on it on low boost (unless i build the motor also).

No one has a manual gx470 in the states and I know it would be really fun to drive that thing around, but I keep thinking its nice and reliable as it is and the auto is good for traffic so I should just a truck to play with... oh the decisions. If I come across a clean chassis truck for a good deal it will probably be the tipping factor... Ill keep you all posted as usual.

One thing I am certain of is the SC300 is getting a quick spool valve and a s362 or s366, the RMR q45 throttle body, more fuel related stuff, lsd rear end, and transmission I am leaning towards the bmw ZF 6 speed setup although the new shifter for the 350z trans is making me think about that one again... a 6 speed is the goal though.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-25-16 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-25-16, 08:58 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice turbo choices. I'm on I guess what you might call an S361. Tons of potential, should crack 700 once I turn it up.

Also very cool on BMW swap. The next time I have to remove my 350z setup, I'm going to be thinking long and hard about switching to that trans as well (I'm looking at the 5-spd variant myself).
Old 01-25-16, 09:37 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

S361 would be good for me as well, I was thinking I want fast spool and if I loose some top end HP I will be alright with that. I figure a s362 with a quick spool will be about the fastest spool I can get on a good sized turbo.

Yeah the collins adapter for the ZF 6 speed has me very interested, and I hear the flywheel has an integrated ring gear also so no flex plate plus flywheel setup which is a small bonus.

I'm a little confused on the input shaft according to my research there should be the pilot bushing in the middle of the flywheel for th ZF so I am waiting to see pics of the collins flywheel to get a better idea. The PMC kit does not appear to have a pilot bushing spot on the flywheel as its meant for the 420g getrag but I still wonder how the input would be long enough to get to the crank, probably make more sense if I had the adapter and transmission but I am going with the ZF and not the getrag, I hear the bmw getrag has synchro issues more often than people care to admit... or none of the bmw crowd can shift properly.. lol hard to say.

but yeah the 5 speed and 6 speed ZF are a solid trans, and the shifter can be placed anywhere with factory shift feel. IMO it has the most attractive features besides throwing down the extra $$ for a v160.

it is interesting thing to note on the 5 peed box is that 5th gear is 1:1, so the 5 speed has no overdrive. this works out pretty fun for aceleration, but for long drives unless you go with a lower diff ratio it could be annoying, like you are going in 4th in your current trans. the difference in price is not that substantial, and they are different length so different drive shaft is different, I am not sure about the mount, basically if you think you might go 6 speed eventually just wait and do the first round alot of bw guys swap the 6 in place of the 5 speed just for overdrive.
Old 01-25-16, 09:38 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ali i am thinking about doing 2jz swap to my tacoma or might try out that Cxracing turbo kit...I would add my own turbo and wastegate...

But i'd love to put 2jzgte into it...front sump clears the front diff easily....since it already has r150f transmission....all need is 1jz bellhousing, clutch, flywheel

Check out this guys photobucket.....

http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/mm...?sort=2&page=1

Last edited by CatManD3W; 01-25-16 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-25-16, 10:50 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting about the 5spd not having OD. Totally didn't expect that, and yeah that might have me looking at 6spd then too, bummer.

http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...-75-turbo.html

There's a link to the "S360" I almost bought (and sometimes wish I would have gotten instead). The actual name is an 8375. I ended up with the ever so slightly larger 8475, so just a tad bigger, but also different exhaust wheel meant for better top end. Depending on your goals, either of those might be your best choice to keep good street response compared to say an S366 (9180).

Or pony up for the EFR 8374 and have the best of all worlds!
Old 01-25-16, 12:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Catmandew, that is a nice swap for sure, I remember coming across that when doing my research. It seems the most challenging parts are the mounts (engine and trans), but it seems pretty straight forward still.

2jz tacoma would be pretty sweet and you already have the correct transmission in there, although the 5vz is a good motor I was not even aware there was a turbo kit for it, interesting how it uses a crossover pipe for the cxracing... I still dont get why they wont make one for the 1uz. I would probably go 2jz still though just off of potential, but either setup would be nice. I would check out what rods are in the 5VZ, if its the skinny rods then keep the boost low.

Halon, yeah the 5 speed is a bummer about the overdirve, I have driven an m3 on a few occasions and never realized it myself, although I was always impressed by its raw acceleration on the highway... after learning about the no overdrive I kinda figured out why it felt so powerful, gearing was the secret there but I think they do use a lower rear end to compensate a bit. the 6 speed is where it is at no question they re available under $1k still which I think is pretty good, and you dont have to worry about revisions all the ZF 6 speeds were strong.

I'm not going to write off the CD009 swap jut yet though, the new shifter has got me interested again. Whichever seems like the better adapter combo will work its way into the SC at some point.

S360, interesting might have to put that in the running as well. I want to be able to hit 600hp on the turbo but have good spool so that might fit the bill better than the 62. I will check out the EFR 8374 not sure what that is but best of both worlds makes me think its pretty expensive lol. (edit: oh wow just looked it up it is like 3 regular turbo's pretty sure I'll be choosing one of the regular ones)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-25-16 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 12:52 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Yea it makes it so you are feeding turbo with all 6 cylinders. Havent seen much info on the kit....other than what is online...

I guess not to many people have tried the CX racing kit for the 5vz yet......internally the trd supercharger is usually good for around 8-10 psi.....wouldnt really push it much past that without doing rebuild on engine....mine has 155k on it
Old 01-25-16, 01:44 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the kit looks fine but I do worry about those crossover designs as the rear of the cylinder head on the passenger side could heat up and could cause issues like the 3vz had with the stock crossover exhaust (restrictive and had a bad habit of cooking valves on drivers side head where it dumped passenger side into drivers). I think on the 5vz they corrected the issue by moving the junction further away from the head. there are always little issues to figure out when turbocharging a motor, but still nice to see a bolt on kit. maybe on the 5vz its not an issue at all couldn't tell ya but the guy who did the 2jz swap above had a supercharged 5vz and still got rid of it if that speaks for anything.

I looked it up and it appears the 5VZ has the weak rods so you are talking about a setup where the tune will have to be perfect and boost low and still a chance of sending a rod through the block so it starts to make less sense unless you can work within those means. same sort of dilemma with the 2uz and 2jzge vvti, the rods are weak so the tune has to be perfect or else you have large problems. a small amount of boost would be fine but if you can get a 2jz in there then the sky is the limit, although with less torque off the line. I don't think 155k is much for those motors, i bet it has solid compression still if it was maintained decently, its just they were not overbuilt like the older generations. I Want to say a 3vz has strong rods, but with all the other issues and the heads are not that efficient, not many people were modding them although I have seen a few 3vz na-t setups online that looked interesting.

I wish someone made a mount kit for the 2jz > tacoma, that would make things much easier.
I think some version of the Xcessive manufacturing 2jz mounts might work to get it close although I am not sure which one yet for that chassis. they make some versions slotted so you have more of a chance of it lining up, if that does not pan out, then probably looking at custom mounts.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-25-16 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 03:16 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Yea man....nothing would be more fun than a 2jz 4x4 tacoma

But you can build up the 5vz pretty easily.....check out LCE performance....based out of Arizona.....search for 5vz

I really need to pick up a welder and start practicing be much easier to build custom stuff that would be needed for the swap

Last edited by CatManD3W; 01-25-16 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 03:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Well this is clublexus and I feel like I have made too many posts without any pics so here we go

Carbon fiber plug cover and clear Greddy "style" upper timing cover.

together

Catmand3w, I totally agree it would be a perfect combo. LCE performance is a good place to get truck parts I ordered a fair amount of stuff from them when i had the '85 pickup, they do have a lot of selection and quality parts I gotta say.
If I build anything though, it will be a 2uz and I will demand ridiculous power out of it... I still have bad memories of taking the cylinder head off twice in a row though when one of my GX's dropped a valve seat and its not the easiest engine to work on (saying the least) so I am a bit weary to attempt it. maybe 2017 I will have more patience lol.. but that is where the 2jz shines, you can have it apart in literally half the time.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-25-16 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 03:31 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen much on the bmw transmissions, that does sound interesting. Have you looked into swapping one of those 4.5 motors out of the lx450? I think CX also makes a kit for them.

I'm patiently awaiting a drop in the 350z swap kits or a local r154.
Old 01-25-16, 03:50 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Just waiting to see what the collins kit for the bmw to 2jz looks like, will likely be going that route if its a solid 1 piece flywheel that uses standard bmw clutches.
the 6 speed ZF from a e46 apparently puts the shifter at 30" so might not even have to modify it at all just mount it, but even if you want a different length on a BMW all you have to do is shorten or lengthen the shifter rod and you can have it very short or very long with a good shift feel.

they are reasonably priced, and once I figure out how to install it, replacing it if ever needed would be easy and inexpensive, but i don't think I will have to replace it ever cause its a strong transmission. If you track your car that might be a different story.

I really like the 1fz out of the lx450, but If I work on one of those I will just get a 80 series landcruiser and have fun with that. it would be quite heavy for most non landruicser platforms although might be able to get away in a tundra or with the right springs in a tacoma. I know those guys stuck it in a supra but I bet it had some interesting handling characteristics. I would still prefer the 2jz swap overall but yeah those 1fz's have some major potential... but no one really pushes them that much.
Old 01-25-16, 05:17 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

What kinda fuel you planning to run for your 600hp goal? Any sorta boost you'd like to be making that at? I bet you'd break 600hp on E85 at less than 30psi on that s360.
Old 01-25-16, 09:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I just want the turbo to be capable of 600- 700hp for when I upgrade the fuel system I don't want to have to upgrade the turbo again. I will probably run E85 and a flex fuel sensor for the future, if I can run E85 all the time I will just do that.

I would like to keep boost to the mid 20's if possible, 30 psi seems like alot. I figure the quick spool valve halving the a/r should let me step up a little bit to a higher flowing turbo and maybe a s362 would be a good balance for me. I originally wanted to go S366 but just not sure any extra lag is worth the tradeoff unless its not that noticeable.

If I run E85 majority of the time I could even put the compression back to 10:1 and make more power with faster spool, ironic that I would be changing it back to 10:1 though, havent fully decided on this. I have also been kicking around the idea of going to a vvti head as well (eveybodys doing it), but I would have to yank the motor to change out the oil pump for the crank sensor... might be worth the extra effort though seeing as I will be changing the trans out I could do it all in one go. high compression E85 vvti setup with a quick spool valve... sounds kind of tempting and would fit my goal of fast spool and reasonable top end, will probably come down to time and motivation lol.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-25-16 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread