Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 09:51 AM
nuturf87
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work Ali! Your car is an example of a clean daily. And its a 5 speed. Im working on my build also, but being a truck driver over the road can make it a bit more complicated. My time is money lol.
I love the fact that you are a true car enthusiast and geek lol. It takes time, passion, and love to do what we do to our cars. You are an example of that. Also very grateful for your support and help on the forums. I look forward to your build thread. BTW how do you know to setup launch control on aem v1 and not on map ecu? lol
Old 12-08-15, 10:29 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Thanks nuturf, It's definately alot of hard work, time and having a passion for it helps make it fun instead of boring, definately been lacking on the time as of late so I totally understand. I just started out one thing at a time and I like to experiment and understand how things work, it really bothers me when I don't know how a part works or why its the best part to go with, and if I can't figure it out through research then I just start experimenting.

I know how to do launch control on the aem v1 because i used to have it and tuned it etc.. and launch control is pretty easy to setup on those there are only like 5 settings on that thing. with the piggybacks like the map ecu its tougher because you have to wire up extra ignition stuff and likely more stuff like switches I am not aware about. the aem is easier since its a standalone it doesn't need extra wiring its already got all the signals it needs from the main harness.

I know this isn't a truck forum, but toyota guys are toyota guys so I'll put it out there for anyone who has an opinion.
I am 90% decided on building a FJ40 Landcruiser next year and I have been going back and forth on the engine to use.
I am currently leaning towards a 1jz vvti swap, but in the back of my head I am thinking a 1uz would be a good choice for that chassis as well.
going to try and squeeze one of those engines in there with a r150f manual 4x4 transmission. its a short chassis and a long transmission so it should be interesting to say the least.

I have not seen a JZ powered FJ40 yet, so I am thinking that is the more unique swap. almost every other one over here in colorado has a GM v8 swap, and its not really my style.
positive thoughts and opinions are welcomed =)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-08-15 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-08-15, 10:47 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

JZ ...and nothing else ..

and give them a run for their money ! Surely people will be surprised with what you got in there .
Old 12-08-15, 12:36 PM
nuturf87
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Thanks nuturf, It's definately alot of hard work, time and having a passion for it helps make it fun instead of boring, definately been lacking on the time as of late so I totally understand. I just started out one thing at a time and I like to experiment and understand how things work, it really bothers me when I don't know how a part works or why its the best part to go with, and if I can't figure it out through research then I just start experimenting.

I know how to do launch control on the aem v1 because i used to have it and tuned it etc.. and launch control is pretty easy to setup on those there are only like 5 settings on that thing. with the piggybacks like the map ecu its tougher because you have to wire up extra ignition stuff and likely more stuff like switches I am not aware about. the aem is easier since its a standalone it doesn't need extra wiring its already got all the signals it needs from the main harness.

I know this isn't a truck forum, but toyota guys are toyota guys so I'll put it out there for anyone who has an opinion.
I am 90% decided on building a FJ40 Landcruiser next year and I have been going back and forth on the engine to use.
I am currently leaning towards a 1jz vvti swap, but in the back of my head I am thinking a 1uz would be a good choice for that chassis as well.
going to try and squeeze one of those engines in there with a r150f manual 4x4 transmission. its a short chassis and a long transmission so it should be interesting to say the least.

I have not seen a JZ powered FJ40 yet, so I am thinking that is the more unique swap. almost every other one over here in colorado has a GM v8 swap, and its not really my style.
Well at least we have something in common. Lol. I think a 1uz with a turbo setup, a 5 spd and 4x4? Cant go wrong. I'm looking forward to this.
Old 12-08-15, 01:10 PM
jshooter55
Driver

do you have any photos for the vacuum lines on the iacv i am using the same one out of an sc400
Old 12-11-15, 06:58 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

There are several. I just saw one for sale recently.
Please do this. That would be my dream truck. I want one badly but every one thats not a rust bucket is 30K.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/this-o...for-1560408476
Old 12-12-15, 01:17 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Ah there's a SICK FJ40 in my neighborhood somewhere, I see him drive by here and then. If you decide to go with the 1JZ VVTi I'll send you everything I have on the wiring. I doubt you'll need any help but, I've got a binder full of pictures, pinouts, clips and connectors all in color. As I'm sure you're aware everything otherwise is either in Russian or Japanese.
Old 12-13-15, 04:55 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

An FJ project? That's awesome!

My vote goes for finding an imported BJ40. Same exact thing as an FJ40... but with a Toyota diesel engine They might have been RHD only too. Plenty of them are legally registered beyond 25 years by now.

As for JZ's in these things, I also haven't heard of it being done. The R150 would be a great fit if it can be made to work with the FJ transfer case. However it does remind me of the 1JZGTE powered 4Runner (or maybe it was a first gen Tacoma, can't remember) which had a factory R150F. The 1JZ had it's turbos removed and instead had a supercharger bolted on. It was an experiment to try to get better immediate response for crawling, I think. The project was still in progress when I last saw it. This was back at Grip Industries in Florida.

Also, what about the 1FZ, Ali?
Old 12-14-15, 09:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gerrb
JZ ...and nothing else ..

and give them a run for their money ! Surely people will be surprised with what you got in there .
I had a feeling you would say that
Yes I think since it originally had an inline 6, its the best way to pay homage to it, and the vvti should give it plenty of low end power it needs. Im just debating 1jz vs 2jz now but its amazing how reasonable a 1jz vvti is with a remote shift 154 combo, thinking the remote shift r154 can go in my SC to keep it all original like, and the 1jz vvti can go in the fj40 with an r150f.

Originally Posted by nuturf87
Well at least we have something in common. Lol. I think a 1uz with a turbo setup, a 5 spd and 4x4? Cant go wrong. I'm looking forward to this.
Yeah that would be sick as well, I think others have done it but then the issue is that a stock 1uz does not interest me so then I would have to turbo or supercharge it along with engine management etc.. its definitely the harder route but could be worth it.

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
There are several. I just saw one for sale recently.
Please do this. That would be my dream truck. I want one badly but every one thats not a rust bucket is 30K.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/this-o...for-1560408476
you are right I remember seeing that page actually, but there isn't that much info on it.
I guess its done before but not very common at all. and who puts an intercooler on top of a beautiful JZ motor, I would never do something so hideous, mine will be silly clean when I do it.

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Ah there's a SICK FJ40 in my neighborhood somewhere, I see him drive by here and then. If you decide to go with the 1JZ VVTi I'll send you everything I have on the wiring. I doubt you'll need any help but, I've got a binder full of pictures, pinouts, clips and connectors all in color. As I'm sure you're aware everything otherwise is either in Russian or Japanese.
Yeah, whenever I see a clean one it just takes me back to simplicity and pure fun,, they have shot up in value and over here its sort of like cult status among the 4x4 guys so its hard to get them to part with them for a good deal unless it needs restoration, which I am sure mine will need a little body and paintwork, they all pretty much do at this point unless you get a restored one.
Thanks for the offer, might have to hit you up on that when the time comes, I haven't thought out the wiring but plan to just sort of wing it, I mean its an FJ its got like 4 gauges and connect it to power so it seems doable but English pinouts would be awesome. yes the everything in Russian or Japanese really is painful to follow at times but I know a few people who can translate it for me if it comes down to that. maybe a 1jz vvti made easy thread will be in order later.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
An FJ project? That's awesome!

My vote goes for finding an imported BJ40. Same exact thing as an FJ40... but with a Toyota diesel engine They might have been RHD only too. Plenty of them are legally registered beyond 25 years by now.

As for JZ's in these things, I also haven't heard of it being done. The R150 would be a great fit if it can be made to work with the FJ transfer case. However it does remind me of the 1JZGTE powered 4Runner (or maybe it was a first gen Tacoma, can't remember) which had a factory R150F. The 1JZ had it's turbos removed and instead had a supercharger bolted on. It was an experiment to try to get better immediate response for crawling, I think. The project was still in progress when I last saw it. This was back at Grip Industries in Florida.

Also, what about the 1FZ, Ali?
Ahh the BJ40, I thought about grabbing a cruiser from canada its not that far to drive over and I can get some more rare models but just seems like a pain. I am not really a diesel guy I know alot of people love them with the import diesel motors but I like my pump gas turbocharged or supercharged fun. What I did want to get was an fj45 I would drive to canada for one of those but extremely rare to find one in good shape without paying an arm and a couple legs. the 45 is basically a fj40 with a small truck bed, that would be the perfect vehicle for me but last time I checked there was like 1 for sale in the US and they wanted like 30k for it. maybe I can just bob a fj40 frame and drop the truck bed on it lol, in the very distant future.

I plan to use the JZ motor to a r150f 5 speed from a mini truck roughly years 87-94 (think 3vz v6 toyota pickups/4runner) with an aftermarket JZ to r150f bellhousing (they make them a little shorter due to the early r150f had a shorter input shaft than a r154). this is the right trans to use cause the transfer case drops to the passenger side, I would not be adapting the fj case to it most likely as that sounds difficult.

If I used a later model r150f (96+ tacomas and 4runners) the input shaft is longer and you can just use an r154 bellhousing, but the transfer case is a drivers side drop for IFS, and all the toyota solid axles like the FJ are a passenger side drop.

The only issue with using an early r150f as I mentioned with the passenger drop, is that the transfer case output to the rear is centered, and the original fj case is more towards the passenger side like the front axle, so to complete everything I would also be swapping in a rear axle from a 87-94ish which is good cause I can use the v6 one with disc brakes and a wider wheel base.

so engine, r150f, and minitruck rear axle seems to be the minimum, and probably a lift while the rear axle is off via new leaf springs and shacles, then the front axles always needs attention on these old yota's as the stock steering is terrible (like really realy horrible), so likely matching lift up front and then go crossover steering and all the little stuff that goes along with it. It will be quite a bit of an assembly process to say the least.

I learnt my lesson with the toyota axles when I had my 85 pickup, simple but time consuming, I will tackle most everything else but I will be having a shop rebuild the axles for me. heck I might just throw in the front matching axle from the minitruck if I can find one.

It would have been nice if the rear axle on the FJ had a cenetered input I could have avoided the axle swap, but from what I hear the later v6 axle is desireable anyways so I think my combo will end up great all around, that is if I can fit that r150f in length wise with a reasonable length driveshaft.

1jz supercharged is interesting but from what I hear the vvti 1jz spools up incredibly fast so no need to convert for torque response. I used to drive my 85 pickup over all kinds of things, and that had a 80hp 22re with a slightly blown headgasket, I just revved that thing up and let the clutch out and it would get where it needed to go, all with a whopping 70 ft/lbs of torque (If I was lucky), so Im not too concerned about having gobs of power down low cause I can gear it appropriately later if I don't like it, but itll get moving one way or another and itll have top end power like no other fj40, which is why I need better steering =)

I love the 1fz motor, been dying to slap a turbo on one of those, but I dont want to put that large of a motor in there, if you had a large ship, you could probably use that as your boat anchor. I had planned on na-t'ing a fzj80 though with a 2jzgte ecu, but this gx470 fell in my lap and I cannot seem to give up the nicer interior and v8. maybe when I get bored of the 40 series.

I had kicked around the idea of 2jz swapping a tacoma or a tundra as I originally wanted a truck, but something about the JZ powered fj40 just seems more fun as a build and winter driver / drive over anything I want sort of way.

The tacoma or tundra swaps would be the easiest by far as both those cars came with the later model r150f that I can just bolt a r154 bell on and not worry about axles or anything like that, basically just an engine swap and wiring and of course a lift but its easy on the new trucks.
Thanks for all the opinions though I am fairly certain its going to be a JZ motor now no matter what chassis its going into.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-14-15 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-15-15, 11:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Well after some more researching and whatnot, I decided to leave the fj40 build for later down the road, its just too involved to get it the way I want it for the time that I will have to work on it.
I have decided I do want a truck that will handle the JZ power, steer well, stop well, all the good stuff.

so I am pretty set on a 2005+ tacoma double cab with a long bed, and I am going to put a 2jzgte into it and make it obd2 compliant via the obd2 supra ecu, itll be a headache but if I do it right it should be able to even pass emissions which is usually what I aim for even if it doesn't work out. Going to throw an r155F behind it from the 2005+ 4 cyl tacoma's with an r154 bellhousing (I hope we shall see), and the best part is these transmissions have the full electronic transfercases like the 4runner v8's do, so what I am hoping is that I can bolt up a 4runner v8 transfer case and make it full time AWD.

so in the end it would be a 2005+ Tacoma double cab long bed 2jzgte 5spd 4x4 with full time AWD. I really can't think of a more perfect truck than that and it will be BPU with some USDM twins if I can find a good pair. stay tuned it will start in mid 2016, I will post a thread somewhere. at the same time the SC300 will be getting some updates as well, thinking larger turbo, quick spool valve and a better manual transmission.
Old 12-15-15, 12:07 PM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

Is there any reason you want to stay manual trans? Sounds like it'll be a blast no matter what.
Old 12-15-15, 12:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah hoping it will be a blast, I want to get everything I want in this truck build, JZ, manual trans, and full time awd is just awesome if I can get that my Gx has full time AWD as it got a torsen t3 in the transfer case which does all kinds of fun stuff while turning, same as the 4runner v8 but the 4runner TC is all electronic mine has a lever for high/low.

I just do not enjoy driving automatics, I mean what will I do with my left foot and right hand

I wont rule out doing the same exact thing to a double cab tundra. its pretty hard to find a double cab tacoma long bed that isn't silly expensive but either way itll be a double cab toyota truck cause I want to keep it for a very long time, will likely sell the GX470 once the truck project is complete. I know I keep going back and forth but I promise I am building a JZ powered 4x4 something.
over here you need a 4x4 there is almost a foot of snow on my GX right now.
Old 01-22-16, 09:03 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

So its time to start refocusing on the SC (forgetting the 4x4 stuff for a little while), started out planning and collecting parts for round 2 of my na-t adventure this winter, and by summer I should be able to start installing parts for stage 2 of the "build".

I just picked up an aem ems v1 for a good price, I love the tt ecu mod but since I do not daily the car anymore and I will be going more aggressive on this round I can use the extra features/outputs it has and live with the harder starting. I will still be keeping my jdm supra ecu and map ecu as backups or for another project.

Once the weather warms up I will be compression testing the engine to make sure its all good before going forward, if there is an issue then I want t know before I start so I can address it early on. Its a good habbit to develop and I am starting to do that now on all my cars... believe it or not I have never compression tested this motor because it ran so well I never suspected anything can be wrong but its been turbo for a while now so its getting the "test". will post the results whenever that happens.
Old 01-24-16, 10:58 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ali,
Do you expect the starting to be harder because it's a V1, or any AEM unit?
Old 01-24-16, 09:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the v2 is probably a bit better, but i had some issues with the v1 in the past. I don't drive it as much anymore so its not that much of a factor at the moment will just see how it goes as i said I plan on keeping my tt ecu mod items.

got some new spark cover pieces but haven't had any time to install it. will post pics when that happens.

Quick Reply: Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread