Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-16, 09:17 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Well one day before getting my new tires, I decide to take the SC out to pick up the fender roller...

AND RAINSTORM!!! my bald rear tires + grooved road + rain = rear end super f'in twitchy.
Had to pull over and wait it out FML!!

Old 07-19-16, 02:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Got tires mounted
Still need to get lugnuts and roll/pull the fenders. hopefully tomorrow evening.

Old 07-19-16, 02:45 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

nice ... will make the car go faster !
Old 07-20-16, 08:20 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

I finally read through all the pages of your build and it makes me really want to go na-t in the future.

With your new wheels, I think you could get away with completely shaving the rear fender or rolling it flat. I don't think a pull will be necessary. I had 18x10.5 +36 with a 285/35/18 michelin pilot sport which is basically the same fit as your 18x10 +30, and I still had room. If you're car is still at the height in your car accident photo, then you'll have no clearance issues after a roll.
Old 07-20-16, 11:07 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

You should totally go na-t!!! unless you want something that just works then do a gte swap

Thats good to know about the wheels thanks, It seemed like it would just be a hair inside the fender when I test fit the rim alone, but I didn't put the car down so it was hard to tell exactly where it would tuck.

That would be great if I can just roll it flat, that is what I am going to start with and hopefully that does it like you said. My car is at that same height its only got the tanabe springs, I may do coils later but I don't really tend to slam my cars cause I literally will hit everything underneath here in denver.
Old 07-20-16, 11:31 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

My fenders aren't even flat yet in these pictures, so there is still plenty of clearance if you were to bottom out. I obviously can't drive at this height though, but a car with decent power should never be this low.

Old 07-20-16, 01:51 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gerrb
nice ... will make the car go faster !
haha yeah, maybe from the extra traction finally

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
My fenders aren't even flat yet in these pictures, so there is still plenty of clearance if you were to bottom out. I obviously can't drive at this height though, but a car with decent power should never be this low.

Wow, thats some serious fitment there, nice work. yeah if mine tucks in when I put it on the ground I would be happy, not looking for it to make love to the fender all the time
Old 07-20-16, 04:14 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
haha yeah, maybe from the extra traction finally
exactly ... regardless of how much power or torque a car has , without traction it will all be useless .
Old 07-20-16, 04:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gerrb
exactly ... regardless of how much power or torque a car has , without traction it will all be useless .
Traction is def a good thing most of the time, who knows maybe I will be lucky and the extra grip will shatter the w58 so I am forced to upgrade right away
Old 07-21-16, 08:05 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

So I feel like an idiot... I never test fitted the front rim, only the rear...
turns out it does not clear the ls400 brakes by quite a lot...
Apparently this wheel has the wrong disc fitment.

Cant use a spacer cause it would push it out way too much.
looks like I will be finding new rims and transferrnig the tires over...
massive waste of time, oh well. this time I will be sure to check firtst

good news is I did roll the fender lips up anyways, went pretty well only a couple paint chips on the edge so will get some touch up paint to protect the metal for now.
Old 07-21-16, 08:26 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

^ Damn, that's frustrating. I just did a minor version of that, swapping wheels between the two cars and forgetting to swap the rear brake pads while I was at it. Only wasted time on my part, not money, though. It's times like that I wish I had multiple jacks and lots more jack stands, and a flat place to work!
Old 07-21-16, 09:15 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3

So I feel like an idiot... I never test fitted the front rim, only the rear...
turns out it does not clear the ls400 brakes by quite a lot...
Apparently this wheel has the wrong disc fitment.

Cant use a spacer cause it would push it out way too much.
looks like I will be finding new rims and transferrnig the tires over...
massive waste of time, oh well. this time I will be sure to check firtst

good news is I did roll the fender lips up anyways, went pretty well only a couple paint chips on the edge so will get some touch up paint to protect the metal for now.
I've found that 15mm allows most rims to clear the LS brakes. The wheels will can still fit with a 15mm spacer, but since your car isn't that low there isn't enough natural camber and it'll poke out too much.

It'll basically look like this with the spacer. This setup was 18x9 +12 with a 245/40/18 if you wanted to keep them.

Old 07-21-16, 10:55 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
^ Damn, that's frustrating. I just did a minor version of that, swapping wheels between the two cars and forgetting to swap the rear brake pads while I was at it. Only wasted time on my part, not money, though. It's times like that I wish I had multiple jacks and lots more jack stands, and a flat place to work!
Yeah tell me about it, I made time to use my parents garage and wanted to see those wheels on so bad, but yeah stopped right in my tracks. rear pads isn't too bad one day I need to get in there and put some new ebrake shoes on also. I have like 2 jacks (1 low profile aluminum one and 1 beefy steel one) and like 2 huge jackstands and 2 small jacstands and 2 ramps, so I am pretty covered on lifting cars at least

also my brother has a 2 post lift in his garage so I go there for the hard stuff.

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I've found that 15mm allows most rims to clear the LS brakes. The wheels will can still fit with a 15mm spacer, but since your car isn't that low there isn't enough natural camber and it'll poke out too much.

It'll basically look like this with the spacer. This setup was 18x9 +12 with a 245/40/18 if you wanted to keep them.

Yeah thanks for that, I thought about it but I just dont want to do spacers in general and it will poke too much at my height, unless I did overfenders. really I am just out the mounting fee, and whatever the cost for unmounting and remounting is. hopefully I can flip these wheels though.
The worst for me is the waste of time cause I have so much going on, didn't really need this but oh well. might just order some supra fitment wheels on ebay and call it a day.
Old 08-15-16, 11:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Bahahah so a TL tried to umm "race" me I think... (in mexico of course)

Sitting at a left turn light with 2 left turn lanes, I am in far left.. and the Tl is in the one next to me.
I notice his hood and fenders are covered in giant AEM stickers and he has wheels, exhaust etc... looking the part.

So the left arrow comes and I was just adjusting my radio not really thinking about going for it, and the TL just takes off into a wide left
Get through the intersection and he is about 1 car in front of me cause I just went slowly in first not sure if was serious or not.

He continues to hammer it and I realize he was serious (lol), about 2-3 cars ahead of me now and for sure he was full throttle at this point.
So I just lay into 2nd and wind out the turbo to redline... I start to pull on him like he is standing still...
I slam into third right about when I got next to him (Give him a taste of the tial blow off valve )
about most of the way through third gear he is many car lengths behind me clearly wondering what just happened...

I wish he had held up through third, fourth would have been even more fun

Moral of the story kids... Stickers on your car look even worse when you get spanked by a sleeper.
Be careful who you rev at with all 'dem stickers!!!

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-15-16 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-15-16, 12:14 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ali you should be fine....I have 18x10+25 and I can fit a 275/35/18 pretty easily....I do have rear lip rolled completed flat with a slight pull....

What tire sizes did you end up going with....?

Look forward to seeing the new wheels and tire setup....but please ditch those JNC center caps....lol

Quick Reply: Ali SC3's "Workin on it" thread