Niceeeee. what part of SC are you from?
I'm in Columbia. Pot hole city...
Old 03-22-16, 05:19 AM
Shaud843
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scunyon
I'm in Columbia. Pot hole city...
yes, SO many potholes, was there last weekend. Down here in hilton head the second a pot hole appears it gets filled..
Old 03-22-16, 06:12 PM
scunyon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shaud843
yes, SO many potholes, was there last weekend. Down here in hilton head the second a pot hole appears it gets filled..
That's the beauty of your area code!
Old 04-25-16, 06:27 PM
scunyon
Rookie

Ahhh, haven't updated my build in a while. I got a new position at work so I've been busy with that. Anywho, the starter finally shat the bed and died so I took it to the stealership today to get it fixed. Hopefully I will have it back by tomorrow. I thought about attempting to do it but after reading the DIY threads I figured there was no way I'd have the patience for that.

This is going to hurt... And they won't even kiss me first.
Old 04-26-16, 07:27 AM
scunyon
Rookie

Default Thank you, sir! May I have another?

Hi Todd, this is the stealership - we noticed that you need valve cover and oil pan gaskets... we can go ahead and take care of that for you while we have your car torn down to replace the starter...
Old 04-26-16, 01:48 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Others have mentioned also checking knock sensors and EGR pipe while they're in there. I did my starter last year too so hopefully, being in SC, you will get off cheaper than I did in CA which was $900. Nice build so far.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 05-02-16 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-26-16, 01:58 PM
scunyon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Others have mentioned also checking knock sensors and EGR pipe while they're in there. Oh, I did my starter last year too so hopefully, being in SC you will get off cheaper than I did in CA...$900. Nice build so far.
Thank you for the compliment! But in the great state of SC, **** ATM withdrawals at the service line are common. They're charging me $1200 for the starter and another $750 for the valve cover and oil pan gaskets. If I'd known they would be piling on I would've told them to do the timing belt and water pump, too.

I'll cross my fingers that the ER pipe and knock sensor are good to go because I'm sure if they could add another $500 or so to the bill they would. What I should've done was tell them to plug that leaking power steering pump. I think I'm just gonna get a new one and plug it before installing it. That sure cure my leaks. Still have the timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, rotor buttons and distributor to go.
Old 04-26-16, 02:13 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scunyon
Thank you for the compliment! But in the great state of SC, **** ATM withdrawals at the service line are common. They're charging me $1200 for the starter and another $750 for the valve cover and oil pan gaskets. If I'd known they would be piling on I would've told them to do the timing belt and water pump, too.

I'll cross my fingers that the ER pipe and knock sensor are good to go because I'm sure if they could add another $500 or so to the bill they would. What I should've done was tell them to plug that leaking power steering pump. I think I'm just gonna get a new one and plug it before installing it. That sure cure my leaks. Still have the timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, rotor buttons and distributor to go.
I won't ask how much you paid for the car since it really doesn't matter if you're willing to pay the price to "save" it. That does seem a bit high though.

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 05-02-16 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-26-16, 02:38 PM
scunyon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Wow! I won't ask how much you paid for the car since it really doesn't matter if you're willing to pay the price to "save" it. That does seem a bit high though.
it was an $80 car. It was actually my Dad's and he had it since it was almost brand new (one of the dealer management cars). He always had issued cars for work so the car sat as much as it was driven. Once he retired he drove it for a while then decided the LS460 was sexier and so he went and bought one. This one was sitting at the house not being driven so he sold it to me for the basically the tax,title and tag cost. So that's why I'm fond of it. Besides, no car payment, insurance is cheap and it's a Lexus and when maintained, will run for a LONG time.

I am trying to find a gently used Lexus to put my wife in because I'm sick of her VW Passat. Great when it's running but a **** when it breaks down.

I've got 226k on the clock and it's never been on a tow truck or left me on the side of the road. Thankfully I was at home when the starter shat the bed. So I don't mind paying now to save later!

Besides, even at 20 years old, it's still one of the sexiest body lines you'll come across and that view from the rear with a nice wide set of tires is sweet! Once I get this motor tightened up and some suspension work, I'll be sitting pretty.

It's as close as I'll get to a "restoration" for the time being until I can find a '68 Torino with a Cobra Jet 428 under the hood!
Old 04-27-16, 03:13 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking good, even if you have to put a little money into it for $80 you have that luxury, lol. I'm in Augusta, not too far from your way...
Old 04-29-16, 08:45 AM
scunyon
Rookie

Well, I'm out $2k... really put a dent in upgrades and the new guns I was planning to buy. But my baby has to run right so it's well worth it. The stealership put in the new starter, valve cover gaskets and new oil pan and gasket. Runs great! Once I do the timing belt, water pump, engine and transmission mounts, she should be back to near new silkiness.
Old 04-29-16, 12:16 PM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maintenance always stings but you gotta pay to play. Nice call on OEM parts.
Old 04-29-16, 02:48 PM
scunyon
Rookie

Default The Frustration is beyond unbelievable

So I go to pick my kids up from school and the rpm's begin to fluctuate, check engine light pops on and smoke starts billowing from under the hood. I make it to a parking space, let the motor cool and this is what I find.

When they removed the intake to replace the starter, the nipple for the vacuum line to the power steering broke off and this was the attempted repair. JB Weld, zip ties and a nut.

Needless to say I called the service desk and politely unloaded on them for billing me 2k for repairs when they broke something that needed to be replaced but on their dime and I wasn't told. They sent the tow truck for my baby. The first time in nearly 20 years and 226,700 miles it's ever been on one.

The first time this car has ever been on a tow truck. 😤

We'll see how this plays out. If you hear of a Lexus owner snapping at a dealership, it will be me.
Old 04-29-16, 05:22 PM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God damnit dude, that sucks. I work at a Toyota dealership and I'm constantly amazed at the bull**** dealership work I see happening on here and the 4Runner forum I'm on, it's disgusting.

Hound the service manager, don't let up. You know they ****ed up and you can prove it. The service dept should have an "account" that they can use to "SMAP" (warranty) things, make those ****ers use it.
Old 04-29-16, 05:41 PM
scunyon
Rookie

Originally Posted by I'mStock
God damnit dude, that sucks. I work at a Toyota dealership and I'm constantly amazed at the bull**** dealership work I see happening on here and the 4Runner forum I'm on, it's disgusting.

Hound the service manager, don't let up. You know they ****ed up and you can prove it. The service dept should have an "account" that they can use to "SMAP" (warranty) things, make those ****ers use it.
Oh yeah! I was pissed because I just dropped right at $2100 and it came back with something broken that was fine when it went in. I'm not the smartest guy, but common sense should tell you that you can't be heavy handed dealing with 20 year old plastic in an engine bay. I don't want anything but my car fixed. This is a pretty large dealer and I'm sure they don't want bad publicity that may lead to more people coming forward about shoddy repair work.

The lady in the service lane emailed me back that the tech admitted he tried to fix it and it didn't hold. Too bad that wasn't covered in a phone call or on the notes and recommendations part of the receipt. I have no plans to pay a penny.

Quick Reply: Todd's LS