Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

2006 IS 250 AWD 2jz swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 03:25 AM
Lgarcia394
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 IS 250 AWD 2jz swap

I was wondering if I could get some input on a few questions I have.
1.) exactly how difficult is this swap and how long could I accomplish it in?

2.) Being AWD, id like to keep it that way. I know the R34 Skyline has a very similar transmission. Would that fit the 2jz? Not bolt on necessarily, but little modification.

3.) Any ideas for the ecu other than piggybacking it?

Any other inputs would be great! My current budget is $15k and can increase to $25k in a few months. I wouldn't mind just having the stock 2jz in for a while if my whole budget is consumed by the swap itself. I guess my main goals are to swap in the 2jz, convert to manual, keep the cabin functionality (a/c, radio, tc etc.) , and keep AWD. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-27-15, 09:40 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The project you are trying to undertake is a bit larger than you may expect..
I'm assuming by 2JZ you're referring to the GTE (turbo) not GE -- regardless, both are a ridiculously large undertaking for any isx50.

1)As far as I know, there have only ever been a couple of 2JZ swaps for the is250/350 platform. I know one took a guy over a year to finish. The ideas which you have put forth in your post are reminiscent of many swaps people have tried/actually accomplished with the is300 as it already comes with a 2jz (yes its the GE), but many many people have done a GTE swap with a suitable toyota transmission (other trans options exist). And as far is interior and instrumental functionality, it won't be "factory" any more.

2)You can't exactly mate this nissan transmission (which wouldn't even fit in the tunnel) with the 2JZ. No "adapters" exist for this idea. (Adapters exist for other applications) Toyota's 2JZ is best mated with a toyota transmission. The R154 is okay, V160/161 Getrag are the strongest (all manual) (Getrag's cost about $6k each) -- again even if you were to secure these parts, you would have a VERY tough time getting it all to work. Everything from mounts to just space in the first place would be a problem and don't even think about the wiring -- thats going to be a whole other issue in itself. The closest anyone has come to mating a 2JZ with a nissan transmission was with a 350z trans and an is300..it didnt fit.
And if you are automatic right now, the pure expense and time it would take it even consider manual conversion is ridiculous, specifically with a car such as the is250

3)When most people do engine swaps they pursue a standalone ecu. Overall management and relative "ease" of wiring is the reason. HKS fcon and mapecu3 exist for our cars, but as far as tuning is concerned, they are quite limited as piggybacks and are in no shape to manage a "swap"

A lot of what you are thinking about has been done (except the r34 transmission) on the is300 platform. If your budget is expected to be at $25k, I would strongly encourage you to find an is300 and do an engine swap and transmission swap on there. I am in the process of parting out my is250 awd to pursue building an is300 myself.

If you're committed to making your is250 awd "different" and add a kick, look at a supercharger kit. HKS has one up on their website under the is350, but I'm pretty sure, with some minor changes, it'd work here as well. This is a very expensive upgrade for a very minimal power gain FYI. It has been done a bunch of times before on this forum.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. I really encourage you to research these sorts of things.

Last edited by Nixcision; 10-27-15 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-27-15, 01:17 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

To add, there would be lots of fab work, mechanical and electrical work involved, and costs for time and material add up significantly when 1 or 2 additional people start working on it. For example, custom motor mounts would be required to mount the 2JZ in the 2IS chassis and an adaptor plate would need to be engineered for the 2JZ to mount to the skyline transmission along with custom transmission mounts and driveshafts. You may be able to save by simply dropping in the RB26DETT that's intended to mate with that AWD transmission. Then, there's the time and engineering in marrying the wiring to the chassis and would recommend getting OBD2. Just more food for thought and welcome btw
Old 10-28-15, 02:16 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't know if the car still up forsale but it's a is250 rwd in Florida with jz swap turbo for 32k. Sale your plus the 25k and you got a running car all set to go save the head ach and time but that just me.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...48k-miles.html