Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Thumbs up

Congrats on the Build Scott..!!

Where will it be displayed at SEMA ??

Joe Z

Originally Posted by boostedGS
Hey guys, here is an update with pics - Kit installed, exhaust installed. I'm sorry, but video will have to come later, I mean a month later. I'm very busy, I will be in Taiwan and Japan for rest of November after SEMA.

I will post videos/sound clips later on soon as I get back from my Asia trip. I will also get it dynod ASAP once I'm back! I know you guys are waiting for that, I just don't have time right now. I wonder if BP Auto has videos/sound clips, if so, please post up since I won't be able to for a while. If not, I'll eventually get to it once I'm back. Thanks again!!

Hope you guys like it!

Old 11-01-15, 08:42 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Congrats on the Build Scott..!!

Where will it be displayed at SEMA ??

Joe Z
Sadly, as of now, I'm not sure. When this project took off several months ago, it seemed like I would definitely have a place at SEMA according to BP. As of yesterday, I was told that the chances are now 50/50 and I would have stand by in case they do have a space for me.

I was told that 400+ cars were denied this year because I guess SEMA's set up is now different. I guess all cars have to be at a booth or something and not in the open space? I'm not quite sure about the exact details because I have never been to SEMA and this would have been my first. Less than 2 days until it starts, I have no clue if my car will be at anyone's booth. I feel bad for Novel because they were really excited that this car was "going" to SEMA. One of my friends that had his car at SEMA few times said that this has happened before and it's all politics. And Maybe I don't have enough stickers on my car. Haha

The worst part is, I made plans around SEMA thinking I will be going 100%. Like I said earlier, I'm headed out of the country for several weeks, and my gf wanted to meet some old friends in Taiwan during this week since they are only available during this time, but since I had to push the trip back 1 week because of SEMA, that won't be happening. And now, looks like SEMA might not even be happening for me, which means, I could have made it to Taiwan this coming week and could have linked up with my gf's friends in Taiwan. Now, I'm in the dog house. At the end of the day, I'm not butthurt if my car won't be displayed, it's all good!

Last edited by boostedGS; 11-02-15 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-01-15, 10:08 PM
suppliedra
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Scott, I have been talking to Taku a lot as well my car and yours are the only 2 RCF with the exhaust system over here in the United States. My car will be over at the Zito Wheels booth but I am sure they will figure something out for you. I am a little salty you got the diffuser before me though haha I wanted it to go with rocket bunny kit I have to wait for the second one now lol.
Old 11-02-15, 02:18 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by suppliedra
Hey Scott, I have been talking to Taku a lot as well my car and yours are the only 2 RCF with the exhaust system over here in the United States. My car will be over at the Zito Wheels booth but I am sure they will figure something out for you. I am a little salty you got the diffuser before me though haha I wanted it to go with rocket bunny kit I have to wait for the second one now lol.
Lol! I'm in love with the exhaust note! Honestly, the videos doesn't do the sound justice. Completely different in person, so much sicker!
Old 11-02-15, 03:59 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Car is looking good! I've been talking with a lot of shop owners and companies about their SEMA builds and they all said that SEMA is going to be extremely packed this year and some people are having trouble getting their original spots. Hopefully it all goes well
Old 11-02-15, 06:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Don't be discouraged Scott...!!!!

Agreed this year, spots outside of Vendor booths are being done differently and space is an issue...

ALSO, sometimes I wonder how some builds even make it into SEMA

SEMA is not for the public.. It is closed to the Public...

In reality it's a Convention for the Aftermarket Industry people Only..

If I were you, I would start locking in a spot for your car NOW, for the LA Auto Show..!!

Now that's a Great Place for the car to get some Love & Attention

~ Joe Z

Originally Posted by boostedGS
Sadly, as of now, I'm not sure. When this project took off several months ago, it seemed like I would definitely have a place at SEMA according to BP. As of yesterday, I was told that the chances are now 50/50 and I would have stand by in case they do have a space for me.

I was told that 400+ cars were denied this year because I guess SEMA's set up is now different. I guess all cars have to be at a booth or something and not in the open space? I'm not quite sure about the exact details because I have never been to SEMA and this would have been my first. Less than 2 days until it starts, I have no clue if my car will be at anyone's booth. I feel bad for Novel because they were really excited that this car was "going" to SEMA. One of my friends that had his car at SEMA few times said that this has happened before and it's all politics. And Maybe I don't have enough stickers on my car. Haha

The worst part is, I made plans around SEMA thinking I will be going 100%. Like I said earlier, I'm headed out of the country for several weeks, and my gf wanted to meet some old friends in Taiwan during this week since they are only available during this time, but since I had to push the trip back 1 week because of SEMA, that won't be happening. And now, looks like SEMA might not even be happening for me, which means, I could have made it to Taiwan this coming week and could have linked up with my gf's friends in Taiwan. Now, I'm in the dog house. At the end of the day, I'm not butthurt if my car won't be displayed, it's all good!
Old 11-03-15, 01:42 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Don't be discouraged Scott...!!!!

Agreed this year, spots outside of Vendor booths are being done differently and space is an issue...

ALSO, sometimes I wonder how some builds even make it into SEMA

SEMA is not for the public.. It is closed to the Public...

In reality it's a Convention for the Aftermarket Industry people Only..

If I were you, I would start locking in a spot for your car NOW, for the LA Auto Show..!!

Now that's a Great Place for the car to get some Love & Attention

~ Joe Z
So update, 9am Monday morning, still didn't have a spot locked in. After hearing this, I pretty much changed plans as if I'm not going, I didn't want to drive up 4 hours and be on stand by and not get in, especially with the amount of cars that were denied and may be in the position I was. So, I cancelled my hotel reservation, made other plans for the day/week, etc. I got a call around 2:30pm saying that there is a spot available for me. Damnit! Oh well. Not butt hurt.

I actually thought about the LA car show, that would be nice, but I won't be able to make that either. During that time, I'll be in Japan.

Thanks Joe!
Old 11-03-15, 03:54 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats! On your build. Are those stickers permanent? The BPAuto stickers looks nice but the Novel sticker looks big and plain. Novel sounds pretty awesome. But It's like a company car of Novel...
Old 11-03-15, 10:25 AM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Car is looking good! I've been talking with a lot of shop owners and companies about their SEMA builds and they all said that SEMA is going to be extremely packed this year and some people are having trouble getting their original spots. Hopefully it all goes well
Yes, you're absolutely right. This year was a bit hectic for everybody. Unfortunately there were a handful of really nice builds out there that got rejected even after they were accepted so some people were literally kicked out of their original spots like you said. It's unfortunate.

Originally Posted by ba2sy
Congrats! On your build. Are those stickers permanent? The BPAuto stickers looks nice but the Novel sticker looks big and plain. Novel sounds pretty awesome. But It's like a company car of Novel...
To address your questions, those stickers are all vinyl decals so they can easily be taken off any time. We initially did the large NOVEL vinyl for SEMA. By the way, thanks for the kind words on our BP Auto stickers haha . We like them.

At the time we were talking to a couple of our partners to coordinate SEMA booth spots for this car so the livery was intended for SEMA use. The OP liked it but it's up to him if he wants to keep them or not. I personally really like the NOVEL logo because it is simple and clean. It looks good because it's not too crazy or aggressive. Technically this car is like the US NOVEL demo car too. The car has the full NOVEL carbon lip kit, including the new prototype rear diffuser system that hasn't been released yet, and the full header back NOVEL variable valve exhaust system. This car has pretty much the full catalog of NOVEL parts to help bring exposure to the brand in the US. The whole thing turned out really nicely. The OP had a pretty clear vision of what he wanted and was up for anything. In the end, I think everybody was happy with how it turned out.
Old 11-04-15, 11:37 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

@BPauto: Ah... okay... Too bad he changed his plans after being waitlisted then accepted last minute. I guess after SEMA season, he can change it into a small vinyl wrap sticker under/next to Side Fender "F" so, it won't look like a company car unless Novel bought it... lol!
Old 11-05-15, 11:33 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

That kit really completes the look of the car with the 20's, great job guys. So many good builds going on right now
Old 11-06-15, 04:49 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

UPDATE:

Dyno'd the car today, I'll post up the graphs once my friend emails them to me. It was dyno'ed on a Dynojet. Elevation was set to actual at 299 ft above sea level. This particular Dynojet I was on is an older model with larger drum, so numbers will read less than on a newer Dynojet with a smaller drum. Also, these were all 4th gear pulls.

EDIT: Car had ARCO 91 octane. Maybe it may pull better numbers with Shell, Chevron, 76, etc? I hear a lot of people saying ARCO gas is crap.

Pull 1 : ~ 370rwhp, ~330 tq
** couple minutes in between**
Pull 2 : ~ 350rwhp, ~310 tq -- getting heat soaked fast, numbers are dropping.
** we let the car cool down for 20 minutes**
Pull 3 : ~ 390rwhp, 347 tq.

Looks like the engine gets heat soaked very fast! We were running two fans to help cool down. The 390rwhp dyno can be seen on IG @kaizen_motorsports.

I think to make sure we are comparing apples to apples, oranges to oranges, if any one of you are comparing your numbers, make sure you dyno'd on a Dynojet as well. Also, here are several other questions regarding dyno factors I'm interested in knowing the answers to:

1) What was your elevation set at during dyno?
2) Was it an older or newer Dynojet? (Small vs. larger drum)
3) What gear did you pull on?
4) Did you dyno pull on a slightly colder/not so freshly driven engine?

^ I'm just wondering if my numbers would be a bit higher on my dyno if I didn't drive 35+ minutes to the shop, then dyno'd the 2 runs, and the 2nd being significantly less than the 1st. Just letting it cool down for 20 minutes after the 2 runs made a huge difference in numbers.

What if I were to let the engine cool down for couple hours and do a fresh pull? I'm sure it will be 400+ rwhp, but then, this won't be an accurate measure of the actual power level since you will be driving on the streets with engine that has been fully warned up. So I think the 390hp/347tq is a conservative and more accurate number while the car is being driven than a dyno run on a fresh start up/warm up.

Last edited by boostedGS; 11-06-15 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-06-15, 09:56 PM
kareemRCF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting..

I drove 20mins to the dyno shopped, strapped my car on the dynojet and first run got 408whp then 410whp then 414whp and 375whp all in the space of minutes. The car was making more power and torque by each run. Temps were hot and humid too. I also believe the runs were made in 4th gear.

Only mod: GTHAUS catback exhaust.

My advice is to drive the car more. Let your ECU figure out your exhaust system and then dyno again after 2 weeks. I'm 100% sure you will be making more power. Your torque numbers look low too.
Old 11-06-15, 10:23 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kareemRCF
Interesting..

I drove 20mins to the dyno shopped, strapped my car on the dynojet and first run got 408whp then 410whp then 414whp and 375whp all in the space of minutes. The car was making more power and torque by each run. Temps were hot and humid too. I also believe the runs were made in 4th gear.

My advice is to drive the car more. Let your ECU figure out your exhaust system and then dyno again after 2 weeks. I'm 100% sure you will be making more power. Your torque numbers look low too.
This... Had my runs back to back today, no heatsoak issues.
Old 11-07-15, 11:41 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kareemRCF
Interesting..

I'll try that out. I'll be leaving the country later today for the rest of November, so when I get back, I'll drive it around more and dyno it few weeks later to see if the ECU "learning" the mods is the culprit of my low numbers.

Originally Posted by RCF500
This... Had my runs back to back today, no heatsoak issues.
You guys dyno'd on a Dynojet, right? Can you ask your tuner if this is an older model or newer? (Larger drum vs. smaller)

Also, what was the elevation set at on the Dynojet while doing the pulls? Mine was set at 299 ft above sea level. A lot of shops do not adjust accordingly.

I'm just trying to figure out why my numbers are really off and I'm trying to figure out the other variables ^ that will affect HP/TQ numbers.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Novel RCF Build thread - Molten Pearl w/ Perf. Pkg/TVD