Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My SC300 Chumpcar Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 11:20 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

On the way to run this car in the first race in the series the car was built for. It is time for DAYTONA! Will see how the car does on the big roval. Fourteen hours on 3.5 miles of superspeedway and infield road course. Should give the old pig a workout. Work done in prep includes (not all, just a few examples):

Cold air intake from Injen
Tie rod ends
New Nitto NT05 275 40 17's
New 6 point harnesses
Window net
All new wheel bearings
Repacked cv axles and new boots
Big vent in fuel tank to dump fuel quickly
New ARP wheel studs
New Stoptech rotors (LS400) front
Coolsuit bracket, wiring, etc.
35w HIDS (flood for corners) and Sylvania Ultras in the stock brights
Fresh set of front pads from Porterfield (LS400)
Fresh dose of 0-40 Mobil 1 and some Lucas anti wear additive

Last edited by RXRodger; 05-16-17 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-03-16, 10:06 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Default Daytona update

Car ran flawless all weekend. The SC is a great platform for Daytona. 127 cars started the race. We finished ninth overall and sixth in the competition classes. Fourth in our class which is 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 liter.

To give an indication of what a good platform these cars are to build on there were four SC's in the top 10. Pretty strong.
Old 04-07-16, 11:45 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Putting these on tonight, will run on track this weekend to try them out. Had to go with something that was non-adjustable on dampening per race sanctioning body rules. Unfortunately the choices were pretty slim and these seemed like the best non adjustable choice.

Old 04-12-16, 07:13 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Ran the car at a track event this weekend with the new coilovers. Disappointing, I thought the car would handle much better with these installed but it really was not improved. I am thinking I have got to get a little more camber. This is what I went out with from an alignment standpoint. Can't get any more camber in the front, maxed out.

Old 04-26-16, 09:37 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Problem with the new coilovers was improper corner balance. My fault, just didn't have it right. Did not do a true corner balance, just didn't have time, but much improved since the last time out.

Probably won't post an update until after the next race on June 18th-19th.
Old 07-14-16, 07:29 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Ran the car at NCM (National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park) back in June. Did not have a good weekend. The car was extremely loose, undrivably loose. Turns out we had major slack in the rear toe arm ball joints. Car was four wheel steering something awful. Not sure how we didnt catch that during alignment, but we didn't. One of the drivers got loose and slapped the wall, did a little damage to the left side of the car. After I got home, I ordered some of these (Megan Racing rear toe arms)

The next weekend I took it to COTA (Circuit of the Americas in Texas) for a track weekend to practice for a race there in August and the car was much, much better. Amazing what a little bit of alignment issues can do to a car's handling. Here is a little video while there playing with some guys in Miatas. After a while a Lotus goes by so I had to go chase him down.

A few other items to be done to the car before the race at COTA the first week in August.

New distributor (oil leaking through inside of the one on the engine)
Tires (Nitto NT05 275 40 17's)
New 3 core Mishimoto radiator (tends to run hot in summer races)
Another front tie rod (just changed earlier this year, but bad again - cheap I guess)
Look for more weight reduction
Install new Porterfield pads all the way around. Have found these to be the best for this car. EBC yellows- not good, Carbotech XP10 front/XP8 rear ok but wear too quick.
Weld up diff bushings solid, and any other rear bushings we can
Change fluids again
Go thru wheel bearings again

Last edited by RXRodger; 05-16-17 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-19-16, 08:03 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Car was dominant at COTA but finished 50th both days in the double 8 hour races. We lost a rear wheel bearing each day. We are just getting too much heat in the rear brakes and boiling the grease, we must find a way to get more air flow to cool them down and use a better grease. Will try RedLine EP2 all the way around for the next race. Here is a little video of how dominant the car was in this race, we were probably one of the top 5 cars in a field of 105 with another SC being in that 5. There were some other fast cars, but we were right there with them. This guy apparently decided he needed to slow me down with a little love tap. At least the car will slide well.

Old 08-19-16, 08:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

looks really fun, keep up the good work. sucks that guy tapped you you had him on the outside easy.
Old 08-19-16, 05:14 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
looks really fun, keep up the good work. sucks that guy tapped you you had him on the outside easy.
Yeah we had talked about watching out for that guy, I just thought I could get past him quickly to stay out of trouble but didn't happen.
Old 10-24-16, 11:19 AM
brawls43
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking car, love seeing other racing the SC's. They're such a great platform. What spring rates are you running?
Old 10-24-16, 08:43 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by brawls43
Nice looking car, love seeing other racing the SC's. They're such a great platform. What spring rates are you running?
I am just running the springs that came with the Tein non adjustable coilover kit. I think they were 12 and 8, but would need to look them up to be sure. They are not great, really didn't improve the handling that much when I took the lowering springs off and put them on. Have been meaning to go to a stiffer spring, but just can't find the time to research and install.

Edit: Front 12 and Rear 7 (672 and 392 lb/in). What are you guys running? Was thinking something in the 18/12 range but would have to find a non adjustable that could be valved to match.

Last edited by RXRodger; 10-24-16 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-29-16, 12:17 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

This is awesome to read. I think the SC has yet to catch on for a track car due to the prevalence of automatics and the weight, but I bet we'll see a lot of them on tracks in the next decade. I've been doing HPDE events all this year with my '92 five speed, and though I'm pretty slow still, I feel like it's a great platform to build on.

Have you played with swaybars at all yet? I'm planning to go to Supra TT sways front and rear, though it may be on my SC400 if I manual swap it and shoot for NASA Time Trials. I've got a lot of spring rate but have been getting some understeer in hard turns. LS400 brakes are the ****, and these cars just feel super solid on track.
Old 10-29-16, 05:23 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

I can't change sway bars because they must remain stock in the class racing we are doing. It just does not seem like sway bars are going to help this car that much but I could be wrong. But like I say it doesn't matter can't change them anyway. I even tried disconnecting the rear one and that made the car super loose. I think the key is just continue to find ways to get weight out of the car. That seems to me to be the reason the car understeers
Old 10-31-16, 06:51 AM
brawls43
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXRodger
I am just running the springs that came with the Tein non adjustable coilover kit. I think they were 12 and 8, but would need to look them up to be sure. They are not great, really didn't improve the handling that much when I took the lowering springs off and put them on. Have been meaning to go to a stiffer spring, but just can't find the time to research and install.

Edit: Front 12 and Rear 7 (672 and 392 lb/in). What are you guys running? Was thinking something in the 18/12 range but would have to find a non adjustable that could be valved to match.
We run I think 800# in front and around 450# in the rear. We're still running cut front springs as our rears. I found a used set of Supra bilstein's on ebay that I sent back for re-valving. Basically doing the gixxer_drew suspension. We need to switch our rear springs and play with them more, that's in the plans for early spring. We might still mess with the front more too and see if we can get a bit less body roll.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...nsion-thread..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-pictures.html
Old 10-31-16, 08:48 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by brawls43
We run I think 800# in front and around 450# in the rear. We're still running cut front springs as our rears. I found a used set of Supra bilstein's on ebay that I sent back for re-valving. Basically doing the gixxer_drew suspension. We need to switch our rear springs and play with them more, that's in the plans for early spring. We might still mess with the front more too and see if we can get a bit less body roll.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...nsion-thread..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-pictures.html

If you guys are still running chump, what are you going to do about the suspension now that the points for the SC went to 500?

Quick Reply: My SC300 Chumpcar Build