Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My SC300 Chumpcar Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 09:29 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Update on the transmission issues. The 1st/2nd gear shift fork was broken. I ordered a replacement from TRD Elmore Toyota. While in the trans, I noticed the countershaft drive gear has a lot of wear/pits in it, so I am going to have to replace the input shaft/countershaft drive gear (which is all in one piece). All other gears look good but going to have to check clearances per the W58 rebuild instructions so I'll replace all of the bearings and syncros while it's apart although they all syncros were still barely above minimum wear clearance I just figure I want to start all new.

Input shaft countershaft drive gear, notice pits in the gear face. All others in this W58 look ok.
Old 01-08-17, 11:14 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

The pits in the countershaft drive gear look to be in two perfect lines, an equal distance in from the ends. And they don't look to be damaged, being just smooth recessions not chipped. That makes me wonder if they aren't that way by design to somehow assist engagement.

That or they were rubbing against something built in the valleys of the opposing gear.
Old 01-08-17, 03:49 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by t2d2
The pits in the countershaft drive gear look to be in two perfect lines, an equal distance in from the ends. And they don't look to be damaged, being just smooth recessions not chipped. That makes me wonder if they aren't that way by design to somehow assist engagement.

That or they were rubbing against something built in the valleys of the opposing gear.
Look a little closer, you'll see what I mean. The indentations you refer to are in all the gears, either in single row or two rows like this one. Must be part of the machining process, but the pits are on the face of the teeth.

Old 01-08-17, 09:43 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Look a little closer, you'll see what I mean. The indentations you refer to are in all the gears, either in single row or two rows like this one. Must be part of the machining process, but the pits are on the face of the teeth.
Right, that's what I meant but maybe wasn't clear about. It seems intentional, being so even that it would have to be caused by protrusions in the gear valleys. Maybe that's engineered failure as a wear indicator, but that seems unlikely since few people will ever open up their tranny to inspect for wear.

The question that leaves is whether the pits in the teeth are also machined in or worn down. I would lean toward the former, as it seems like it would be tough to get solid engagement if they didn't solidly engage the valleys from the factory.
Old 01-09-17, 12:59 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Wait your'e rebuilding a w58... are you feeling ok?? It's probably going to happen again if you can afford it go for the ar5
Old 01-09-17, 09:08 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by t2d2
The question that leaves is whether the pits in the teeth are also machined in or worn down. I would lean toward the former, as it seems like it would be tough to get solid engagement if they didn't solidly engage the valleys from the factory.
This is what is called spalling. The pits you see are failures of the material. Here is a link to gear tooth spalling for your reading pleasure if you would like to know more than you ever wanted to know about the subject. (http://products.asminternational.org/fach/data/fullDisplay.do?database=faco&record=1748&trim=false)

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Wait your'e rebuilding a w58... are you feeling ok?? It's probably going to happen again if you can afford it go for the ar5
I don't have any choice, the race series we run will not allow a swap of any kind without penalty for the SC. They raised the point value of the car this year to the maximum due to how well it performed in the races in 2016 and there is no room for a swap. I have to stay with the W58, no choice. So, as we say in the south, gotta dance with who brung ya.

Last edited by RXRodger; 01-09-17 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 08:31 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXRodger
This is what is called spalling. The pits you see are failures of the material. Here is a link to gear tooth spalling for your reading pleasure if you would like to know more than you ever wanted to know about the subject. (http://products.asminternational.org/fach/data/fullDisplay.do?database=faco&record=1748&trim=false)
That link didn't work, but maybe this one will...

http://products.asminternational.org...co&record=1748

I wasn't familiar with spalling, so I actually looked it up last night when I saw the email notification. I found a few similar pages about it but was scratching my head at the description, as it appears to refer to stress fractures not surface wear like yours. E.g.:

http://thermalprocessing.com/article...how-gears-fail
Old 01-10-17, 11:48 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

oh ok, that makes sense then. In that case check out the Marlin Crawler website, they have parts for the W and R series transmissions.
I know they have billet shift forks for the R series trans but not sure about the W series.
Alot of people aren't aware because they mostly work on truck stuff like the w56 and whatnot but alot of the W series stuff is interchangeable and they will know what works for the w58.. so you might be able to get some upgraded parts for it to hold up better while you have it apart

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-10-17 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 08:15 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
oh ok, that makes sense then. In that case check out the Marlin Crawler website, they have parts for the W and R series transmissions.
I know they have billet shift forks for the R series trans but not sure about the W series.
Alot of people aren't aware because they mostly work on truck stuff like the w56 and whatnot but alot of the W series stuff is interchangeable and they will know what works for the w58.. so you might be able to get some upgraded parts for it to hold up better while you have it apart
Wish I would have posted this update before I ordered my parts or I would have checked with them. Oh well, I will just put together with the parts I have and hope it stays together.
Old 01-16-17, 06:11 AM
brawls43
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that spalling doesn't look so good. Good plan on the rebuild, good luck with it. Trans builds always have scared me.
Old 01-16-17, 04:45 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by brawls43
Yeah that spalling doesn't look so good. Good plan on the rebuild, good luck with it. Trans builds always have scared me.
Yeah I am already stuck at the step of pulling the mainshaft 5th gear and bearing off. Every puller I have tried won't budge the gear and bearing pulling them together. I my try a little heat, the assembly with the sandwich plate won't fit in my press, so unless heat works I may have to take it somewhere.
Puller set up to pull 5th gear and bearing. Won't budge.
Old 01-17-17, 11:47 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Good Luck bro i'm sure you'll figure it out.
Old 01-23-17, 06:33 AM
brawls43
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly why I hate opening transmissions. Good luck dude. Got a back up transmission?
Old 01-25-17, 06:46 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by brawls43
This is exactly why I hate opening transmissions. Good luck dude. Got a back up transmission?
Yes I have one in the car, we had to change it the night between race segments that we won back in December. It's not shifting great, but it's ok until I can get this one together. I am also in the middle of an engine tear down, hope to get it all back together and in the car before the next race. Took the engine out of my parts car and going through it now.
Old 03-07-17, 06:04 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

It's been a while since I have worked on the W58, finally got motivated to get going again. Tonight I had to make a puller to get the last gear at the sandwich plate. Let's hope the rest of the teardown and build go as smooth.

Engine build is in progress, man building an engine the right way is expensive no matter what you do. My buddy that races with me in the SC is doing that project. Hope to update soon on that project.

Quick Reply: My SC300 Chumpcar Build