Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

The fall of Lexi(RIP) and the rise of Pheonix - swap motor, suspension, diy

Old 09-27-15, 08:19 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[SIZE="4"]Passenger fender off mods - engine build - part 1 - passenger harness relocation[/SIZE]

Passenger side is pretty much done the same as the drivers side

Before

After

Modification notes
• ABS will be deleted, so the two plugs to the ABS will remain unused or deleted
• Need to extend and reroute the O2 sensor clip
• Already extended and rerouted the sensor to the AC line

top view

fit the harness through this oem spot

Last edited by chnk; 05-17-18 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-27-15, 08:26 PM
Bflatsharp
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you!
Old 09-28-15, 06:17 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Chris , if you are deleting ABS, then take out the abs / track relay box you have bolted under the wheel well on the driver side. You don't need that. Clean up your wiring. Remove the unnecessary wires to make it even cleaner.
Old 09-28-15, 07:15 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gerrb
Chris , if you are deleting ABS, then take out the abs / track relay box you have bolted under the wheel well on the driver side. You don't need that. Clean up your wiring. Remove the unnecessary wires to make it even cleaner.
did you just slip them and tape off the ends so they don't touch? Or trace them all the way back to the source and remove them from there.

Also, gerry have you noticed in the 97s there is no air bag harnesses or is that just me?
Old 09-28-15, 07:32 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chnk
did you just slip them and tape off the ends so they don't touch? Or trace them all the way back to the source and remove them from there.

Also, gerry have you noticed in the 97s there is no air bag harnesses or is that just me?
remove the whole wiring from the source (fuse box) to the inside of your car so cleaner and no danger of live wires getting shorted with the body.

I left the wiring of my ABS sensors on each wheel though since I use those wirings for my traction control with ProEFI.

Never realized that of the airbag. They have I guess gone through that car and gotten what they needed.
Old 09-28-15, 12:17 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

remove the whole wiring from the source (fuse box) to the inside of your car so cleaner and no danger of live wires getting shorted with the body.

I left the wiring of my ABS sensors on each wheel though since I use those wirings for my traction control with ProEFI.

Never realized that of the airbag. They have I guess gone through that car and gotten what they needed.
The 97 shell I picked up is also missing this harness on both sides, so idk if its a 97 thing
Old 09-28-15, 12:54 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

The 97 shell I picked up is also missing this harness on both sides, so idk if its a 97 thing
if it is same with the other 97 then probably so. ... but the 97 platinum I parted 3 years ago had same wirings as all of my 92s not unless I am not understanding which wires you are referring to.
Old 09-28-15, 01:48 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

if it is same with the other 97 then probably so. ... but the 97 platinum I parted 3 years ago had same wirings as all of my 92s not unless I am not understanding which wires you are referring to.
the yellow ones that run under both fender to what I want to say is a yellow impact sensor
Old 09-28-15, 04:09 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

the yellow ones that run under both fender to what I want to say is a yellow impact sensor
oh..even the 97 sc300 5speed I have with me do not have those yellow sensors anymore.
Old 09-28-15, 10:52 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

oh..even the 97 sc300 5speed I have with me do not have those yellow sensors anymore.
They changed sensors from what I hear from the other 97+ sc owners in GA

quick update, finished the abs delete with connecting the front two lines into a corolla T and connecting one of the rears into a T also. Hid the lines behind my catch can.

Modification notes
• there are 12mm bolts inside the fender well holding the abs bracket to the chassis
• break the brake lines off the abs motor before unbolting the motor off the bracket
• bend the lines one by one before bolting them into the corolla Ts

Still working on the clutter on the firewall

Last edited by chnk; 05-17-18 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 08:25 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

[SIZE="4"]If anyone wanted to send their turbo to precision for rebuild/repair here is how my 6262 pte went...[/SIZE]

Quick update on the precision rebuilding process if you send your turbo to precision. For those who missed it, my turbo started to get shaft play kind of out of no where after 4 years of use. Called precision got a rma number, filled their form out, and shipped it to them next day.

They received my turbo and called me confirming it on the September 4, 2015

So after a long time of waiting on precision I finally hear from them on the 16th business day October 2, 2015. Apparently my 6262 PTE turbo bearings were damaged and starting to fail. The turbine was fine and able to balance so that saved me alot for the rebuild cost. Of course they replaced the journal bearings and seals in the turbo.

so between 09/04/15 and 10/02/2015 that is 16 business days, and 4 weeks of waiting

The cost of the turbo comes at $287.13 + $10 precision shirt(fan boying sorry lol) + $15 fed ex ground shipping.

Here is the break down of the invoice.

Last edited by chnk; 05-17-18 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 08:32 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Alright time for some updates.

its been a minute got the car running

Facebook Post

the car did not want to start for a while wasn't getting power to the fuel pump or even getting spark. Turned out I forgot to clip in two body plugs near the ecu on the passenger side

Oh well lots of relays and fuses were replaced while I was at it.

Still lots of things to do before she is road worthy

[SIZE="4"]Onto the intecooler piping mapping and design [/SIZE]

my engine bay is looking a little empty without the piping

I wanted to have the intercooler
•run under the headlights for the shortest distance possible,
•wanted it to clear the head lights,
•clear the fan shroud

I already had a nice intercooler with 2.75" input and outputs. After much mocking and experimenting I was able to clearify that the intercooler piping will clear the headlights and the bumper cover support. So I went and pulled the trigger.

So here is what I did for the passenger side I ordered
• 1 x 2.5 90 degree 4 ply silicone coupler + T clamps - $11 shipped
• 1 x 2.75 to 2.5 reducer 90 degree 4 ply silicone coupler + T clamps - $11 shipped
• 1 x 2.5 45 degree 610mm length aluminum intercooler piping - $18 shipped
• 1 x 2.5 45 degree 300mm length aluminum intercooler piping - $16 shipped

After over laying the pipe and cutting where the pipes overlapped with a hack saw

I ended up with this beauty

and the top view

After I clean up around the edges and make is perfectly flat with a table bench sander I will be paying my welder a visit and adding bevels to where the pipe goes in the couplers

The drivers side did not go as smoothly and required some modifications.

For the drivers side I ordered
• 1 x 2.75 45 degree 610mm length aluminum intercooler piping - $20 shipped
• 1 x 2.75 90 degree 4 ply silicone coupler + T clamps - $11 shipped
• 1 x 2.75 45 degree 4 ply silicone coupler + T clamps - $11 shipped
• Tial Q 50 mm BOV - purple $258 shipped

First I removed the plastic covers on the harness that runs through there and rewrapped everything with electrical tape for a slimmer profile. The 2.75" pipe was going to be a tight fit where the 2.5" fit easy. Using a sawzall I cut the head light opening up for more clearance. Also moved the ac canister down some more and bent the hardline to go around the silicone coupler. Not sure if I like this can always change it out later.

Here is what it looked like factory on the left and on the right after the hacking lol

After cutting the pipe some and trimming some of the silicone couper here is what I ended up with

Head light clearance check - we are good

Intercooler piping design finished. Just need the bov to get here and get some welding done and I can finally throw the front end back on

Last edited by chnk; 05-17-18 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 08:59 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far pretty good bro.. I'm about to put my sc down for awhile maybe ever
Old 10-19-15, 09:06 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

[SIZE="4"]For those wanting to buy the cheap driftmotion manifold, ebay manifolds, or cheap cx racing manifolds, here is some food for thought [/SIZE]

So with my precision turbo dying recent and the ordeal you go through to get it rebuilt by precision which honestly went pretty smoothly for me compared to my other friends I did alot of reading on why turbos would fail. Two things caught my attention that I didn't even think about, due to my ignorance and assuming anything would work.

Turbos need proper drain and feed depending on ball or journal bearing this may differ. My Precision 6262 is just a journal bearing turbo. For years this turbo has been reliable on my old T3 manifold set up with a T3/T4 adapter and ghetto improvised drain and feed lines that leaked some. But what I didn't realize was that the drain and feed worked well for the turbo.

When I switched to the driftmotion T4 divided 1jzgte manifold set up two very import things changed. I bought a cx racing drain kit off ebay to work with this manifold also. Here is where I probably made my two fatal errors for my precision.

issue 1
•The driftmotion manifold by design can only fit a -10 an 90 degree fitting because the 1st and second runners are really close.
•in theory if you get a nice 90 degree fitting that is a nice bend and not a sharp bend the turbo may drain fine.
•but the general rule of thumb in any turbo chassis - the straighter the better
•if you look at more expensive manifold designs such as the cx racing thick manifold for $500 the 1st and 2nd runner are not in the way of the drain and allow a straight drain/return
issue 2
•The CX Racing feed and return line kit I bought used a -4 an line and -3 an restrictor plate which isn't the best for journal bearing turbos.

So in theory these parts may have been the fatal issues to my turbo but then again my turbo is more than 4 years old and lots of daily driving miles it could just be old. So I decided to work with what I have and try to prevent these problems from happening again. So here is what I did,

[SIZE="4"]Issue 1 - resolution[/SIZE]

I found a solution to this that will work getting a 45 degree fitting in there, and this is probably the best you can do I don't see a 30 degree being possible

Here is a close up of the 90 degree fitting there is no fitting anything, pretty poorly designed manifold but I can work with it. I did call driftmotion and their response was we have sold hundreds of these manifolds and no one really has had a problem

So I went and got a 1/2 T4 spacer from my friend Matt at JEI and got some different length and size 45 degree -10 an fittings from another friend. The spacer only cost me $25 and the fittings were free

Using the shortest 45 degree fitting and the spacer and clocking the middle of the turbo about 10-15 degrees I was able to fit the 45 fitting.

Here is some pics of the 90 degree fitting - as you can see the runner is in the way no possible way of getting a straight fitting there

Here it is with the 45 degree fitting and spacer - haven't bolted the turbo on fully yet

Kind of hard to see but here is the turbo senter clocked about 10-15 degree - please correct me if you think this is more than 15 degrees kind of hard to tell. From what I read 15 degrees is about as much you can safety clock it

[SIZE="4"]Issue 2 resolution[/SIZE]
This was simple fix

Last edited by chnk; 05-17-18 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 09:07 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
So far pretty good bro.. I'm about to put my sc down for awhile maybe ever
Thanks I hate putting my sc down for this long, but so much work has been accomplished so its worth it lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The fall of Lexi(RIP) and the rise of Pheonix - swap motor, suspension, diy