Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

xHyaku's UZS160: The Battleship

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 02:23 PM
xHyaku
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my good buddies dropped by with his air compressor. We went to town and pulled out the a650e. Removing it was a breeze with air tools... I need to invest in an air compressor.

Name:  20150829_120009_zpsytw1iy10.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  408.7 KB

The a650e sitting next to the r154. The plan was to test fit the r154 this weekend, but my swap parts havent come from 1uzfeswapkit.com yet. Oh well, at least most of the hard work was done. Also went to the junk yard and picked an SC parking brake, material is all chewed up, but whatever, racecar. You can see it resting on top of the flex plate.

Name:  20150829_133445_zps2zhgop0w.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  326.1 KB
Old 09-04-15, 01:29 PM
Hyboostn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build man its coming along nicely. Any plans for more horespower ?
Old 09-05-15, 09:08 AM
xHyaku
Driver

Originally Posted by Hyboostn
Nice build man its coming along nicely. Any plans for more horespower ?
Thanks! Not really, only thing remotely close to power will be PPE headers. Keeping her close to stock for reliablility when I'm beating her on the track. If I do happen to blow her up, then we'll do some upgraded internals.
Old 09-19-15, 04:34 PM
xHyaku
Driver

Small update,

After a month waiting for my 1uzfeswapkit.com 1uz to r154 swap kit, it finally arrived today!!

Name:  Toyotav8r154_zpsnmfxhzyw.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  292.4 KB

So first off, my experience with 1uzfeswapkit. After a week since payment, the only email I ever got was the inital order receipt. I let another week go by, and still nothing. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. Finally on the third week I called and left a message, texted, emailed, and PM'd on Lextreme.com. I finally was able to get into contact with him through the PM. All this time, he ran out of R plates, and needed to buy more raw materials to make them. Okay, would have been nice to have been emailed this 2 weeks ago. Anywho, after that, I received my kit the next week. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of communication, but once initiated he kept up with the responses.

The plate was nice at first glance, but the 6 holes for the A650e bell housing weren't tapped all the way through. I had to run a bolt on the backside to open up the 2 accessible holes. My friend is using my tap and die set at the moment, so I won't be able to fix those this week. the ARP 4AG flywheel bolts are a nice touch. Lines and fittings look good. The bag of bolts were filled with 10.9 hardware.

I thought that it was a neat design to have the plate replace the front cover of the r154. I need to remind myself to buy a new front oil seal before bolting everyone up. The r154 is going to need a rebuild, when I pulled the front cover off, metal pieces fell out, I think it may be shift forks. Another delay.

Name:  Adapterplate_zps7rpzrimo.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  235.6 KB

Purdy. The remaining bolt holes are the ones that need to be tapped.

Name:  Plateinstalled_zpsdvq7rtrl.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  234.5 KB

A650e bellhousing bolted onto the 1uzfeswapkit adapter plate that's bolted onto the r154.

Name:  1uzbellhousinginstalled_zpsmvw6odxq.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  243.3 KB

Test fitting next week.
Old 09-26-15, 02:52 PM
xHyaku
Driver

Drilled an inch and a half hole into my transmember today in order to clear my XM trans mount. :Cry:

Name:  20150926_105507_zpscv3mtxag.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  682.1 KB

I need to reinforce it for sure. So with the 1uzfeswapkit and the XM trans mount, you can reuse the original member in it's original orientation, meaning V8 facing towards the front of the car.

The GS has a huge trans tunnel. I had to massage (and by massage I mean destroy) my buddies Cressida to get his to fit. There's only one point that the r154 hits the tunnel, it's on the passenger side. Nothing a 4 pound sledge can't fix.

I'm planning to extend the shifter housing 4". It feels more natural in that area than having it come out of the AT shifter opening. Where I'm placing it will be 2-3/4" forward from the center of the AT shifter opening.

Update 11/09/15: (I made a hole in the trans tunnel so the transmission can clear with the 4" shifter extension. It now sits where it should. The old measurement was 58-1/8", which is wrong on my part.) Output shaft to diff flange length with this combo is 58-1/16".

Going to drop the trans tomorrow and then send it out for a rebuild!

Last edited by xHyaku; 11-09-15 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Updating information
Old 09-26-15, 04:01 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool project - keep up the good work. Will you be running the original ECU?
Old 09-26-15, 05:51 PM
xHyaku
Driver

Originally Posted by black_LS
Cool project - keep up the good work. Will you be running the original ECU?
That's the plan, I think I have the wiring figured out. We'll see when I tackle that next week.
Old 09-27-15, 11:24 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Originally Posted by xHyaku
That's the plan, I think I have the wiring figured out. We'll see when I tackle that next week.
Awesome. Let us know what you do for the AT delete in terms of wiring. Also, will you be retrofitting a speed sensor to replace the one in the old trans?
Old 09-28-15, 08:31 AM
xHyaku
Driver

Awesome. Let us know what you do for the AT delete in terms of wiring. Also, will you be retrofitting a speed sensor to replace the one in the old trans?
It depends.

Right now, I'm not going to be focusing on finding a way to fix it because it's not going to be throwing a P0500 code when bypassing the NSS. One of the 2 criterias is that the NSS is off, but because we are bypassing it, the ecu is going to see that the "switch" is on the whole time.

I'm still confused as to how the vehicle tell's speed. I believe it's the wheel speed sensors, but when reffering to the system description from the repair manual it's pretty damn vague.

I believe the tran's VSS is only looking at the outout shaft speed to determine when to shift or when to put the trans into lock up.

From my experience I've had the speedo inop when I had two wheel speed sensors disconnected.

From all the research I've done, I stumbled onto Cartmill's SC 5 speed swap thread, where he was able to swap his 98' to 5 speed and everything was working besides the cruise control due to the VSS not being connected.

If it's just cruise control then I'm not going to bother since I don't have a cruise control stalk anymore.
Old 09-28-15, 09:04 AM
black_LS
Advanced

There are a lot of factors at play. In my province, for example, emissions testing is done through the OBD2 port and requires the ECU to be in a 'ready' state. The ECU needs to see a variety of speeds in order to get into that state. This means that if it is using the trans speed sensors (there are 2) to determine speed, they must be retrofitted (on the drive shaft, for example). Also, the ECU needs to receive a signal that the transmission is in drive, otherwise it likely won't begin testing.

I've heard some people driving while wired in neutral/park without issue, but others experienced hesitation. In any case, neutral likely won't work for me due to the readiness issues.

I've also read that the GS gets its speedo signal from the ABS system, but can't confirm.
Old 09-28-15, 12:20 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice. Keeping an eye on this thread as I want to make my 430 manual next year.
Old 09-29-15, 06:35 AM
xHyaku
Driver

There are a lot of factors at play. In my province, for example, emissions testing is done through the OBD2 port and requires the ECU to be in a 'ready' state. The ECU needs to see a variety of speeds in order to get into that state. This means that if it is using the trans speed sensors (there are 2) to determine speed, they must be retrofitted (on the drive shaft, for example). Also, the ECU needs to receive a signal that the transmission is in drive, otherwise it likely won't begin testing.

I've heard some people driving while wired in neutral/park without issue, but others experienced hesitation. In any case, neutral likely won't work for me due to the readiness issues.

I've also read that the GS gets its speedo signal from the ABS system, but can't confirm.
Since the 1uz never came in manual, no matter how well I execute the wiring and having all sensors seen by the ECU to start and finish the drive monitors, it will never pass emissions testing in a state like California.

You're correct, I've read that the vvti's don't like seeing that it's in Neutral when the vehicle is driving under its own power. Although there's no proof that the ECU caps the RPMs to 4000, there's alot of posts on the V8 forums about this, but why take a chance?

I rigged up a 5 pin relay that will be wired into the SC hand brake as an on/off switch. Of course the hand brake will be powering up the coil side of the relay. When the vehicle is ready to start, engaging the hand brake will select "P" and when disengaging it will select "D" as shown below.

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/ka...dohmy.mp4.html

The wiring wasn't hooked up to an SC hand brake, I was just grounding out the negative side of the coil. But that gives a good idea of how this is going to be wired up.

I'm not tricking the ECU, I'm just giving it the signals it wants to see.

If all goes well, I'll post up the wiring diagram that I've made. I don't want to post it up now and have someone destroy their ECU because I missed something.

Originally Posted by RichS11
Nice. Keeping an eye on this thread as I want to make my 430 manual next year.
Cheers Rich, hopefully something does come out of this thread to help everyone in the 2gs' V8 community.

Last edited by xHyaku; 09-29-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-01-15, 08:02 AM
xHyaku
Driver

Alright more parts came in; Rear main seal, o rings, front oil seal for the V8 adapter plate, and a Clutch Masters FX250 clutch kit for a 3SGTE. Also pictured is the modified 3VZFE modified flywheel that I forgot to snap a picture of. It came with the swap kit.

Name:  20151001_063849_zpsocuojsvt.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  349.9 KB
Old 10-01-15, 08:07 AM
black_LS
Advanced

Nice! Looks like toyotav8.com makes top notch parts.
Old 10-01-15, 08:06 PM
whiteraven
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work man, I cannot wait to see this thing finished!
What are your plans for a driveshaft?

Quick Reply: xHyaku's UZS160: The Battleship