Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Project: Lenor. The 1999 GS300 Winter Beater

Old 07-02-15, 08:30 AM
McCloudsZJ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project: Lenor. The 1999 GS300 Winter Beater

Just picked up a 1999 GS300 For $2,000. It's not perfect inside or out, but it's been maintained at the same Lexus dealership since new. Mechanically, it has a leaky valve cover gasket and a CEL for a bad O2 sensor and evap leak. Seats are a little rough, carpet is a little rough... It's definitely a big difference from the SC400 I used as a winter beater last year.

Plans are tentatively: MS3, BFI, exhaust, and giggle gas.

Old 07-02-15, 11:53 AM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Giggle gas...nice, that deep voice, lol. Sounds good man!
Old 07-02-15, 03:52 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice what part of VA are you in. whats the mileage
Old 07-06-15, 07:25 AM
McCloudsZJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by nelson09
Giggle gas...nice, that deep voice, lol. Sounds good man!
Gracias. Tuning is

Originally Posted by nyc80rick
Nice what part of VA are you in. whats the mileage
I'm actually in Colorado now. I got the GS as a winter vehicle because my Jeep was useless in the snow and Colorado gets a lot of snow.

A little off topic, but... I was the second lowest static ZJ Grand that actually got driven. Eibach springs, Bilsteins, UHPs, 5.9L V8, long tube headers, big injectors, solid motor mounts, all polyurethane suspension bushings, big TB, 3" exhaust, custom tuned by me. Lots of fun unless it rained; terrifying in the snow.

Name:  20150309_180600_zpsjpyqwrsa.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  350.6 KB
Old 07-06-15, 07:28 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You went from a jeep to a gs3 for a winter car?
Old 07-06-15, 07:32 AM
McCloudsZJ
Rookie

Back on topic, I'd like to take care of the the Christmas lights all over the cluster. I have CEL, BRAKE, and the brake light out indicator lit up. CEL pulls codes for bank 2 O2 sensor and evap leak. From reading around here, the VSV seems suspect? I ordered a OEM VSV and o2 sensors.

The BRAKE light is probably a bad contact somewhere. I verified that the parking brake (and release) do actually work.

The brake light out indicator looks like it's from the stupid LED tail lights the PO put in.
Old 07-06-15, 07:37 AM
McCloudsZJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by luda42688
Yessir. The mostly-stock Lexus is so much better than a go-fast Jeep in the snow. It's not the first time I've done it, either. Two years ago I sold this Jeep:

Name:  101_1202_Snapseed_zps1c4b4e12.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  146.7 KB

For this winter-duty SC400:

Name:  101_1261_zps5fb5183d.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  105.6 KB
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...er-beater.html
Old 07-07-15, 12:07 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by luda42688
, like really? Thats like saying I sold my turbo'd prius to get a Hummer to save on gas LOL. The GS SUCKS in snow compared to FWD cars, I cant imagine how horrible your Jeep is in the snow, if your saying the GS is better. I cant believe you made a car that was once really good in snow, the complete opposite and then bought a GS, which ISNT meant for snow, to use in the snow. LOL
Old 07-07-15, 12:12 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

but on another note, have fun in Colorado you lucky bastard! Thats my dream place to live, for obvious reasons... :-)
Old 07-07-15, 12:17 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I dont know how you do it, I was scared I was going to slide off the mountain and I was driving an AWD Audi when I was there, the GS in the snow on colorado mountains is a legit cheek clencher.
Old 07-07-15, 02:45 PM
McCloudsZJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by DMPesso
, like really? Thats like saying I sold my turbo'd prius to get a Hummer to save on gas LOL. The GS SUCKS in snow compared to FWD cars, I cant imagine how horrible your Jeep is in the snow, if your saying the GS is better. I cant believe you made a car that was once really good in snow, the complete opposite and then bought a GS, which ISNT meant for snow, to use in the snow. LOL
What can I say... I like to do things the most difficult way possible. But really, the Jeeps were useless in snow. Literally stuck in the garage useless. The SC and GS were bought to be exactly what I needed--winter beaters . Something comfortable for $2,000 that'll get me from A to B without worrying about road salt or idiot drivers.The SC bulldozed me through 20" of snow through the Virginia mountains. It wasn't fun, but I made it out alive.

My wife drives a lifted Jeep--if the weather is ever actually bad enough to be dangerous, I'll probably take her car.

but on another note, have fun in Colorado you lucky bastard! Thats my dream place to live, for obvious reasons... :-)
It's pretty nice, alright. It was 90F on Sunday, so we drove up into the mountains and had a snow ball fight. In July.

I dont know how you do it, I was scared I was going to slide off the mountain and I was driving an AWD Audi when I was there, the GS in the snow on colorado mountains is a legit cheek clencher.
The GS has a button for snow, though, so it's gotta be better, right? One day I would really like to have a clean Lexus build. This one isn't it, though.
Old 07-07-15, 02:52 PM
McCloudsZJ
Rookie

I ordered a cheap double din head unit with some fancy bells and whistles. Something else to do this weekend.
Old 07-08-15, 02:46 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ
I ordered a cheap double din head unit with some fancy bells and whistles. Something else to do this weekend.
Just in case you aren't already aware, aftermarket head units require a few extra steps to install than typical cars. You have to bypass the factory amp to make the speakers work. This will also get rid of the factory subwoofer, so you'll have to add an amp to get the bass back.

It's not difficult if you have the Pioneer ("Lexus Premium Sound") stereo, the amp is just behind the glove box and you can use two standard Toyota wiring harnesses so that you don't have to cut any factory wiring. There's a few helpful DIY threads and I just did this a few weeks ago, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Seems like a solid "beater," best of luck with the project, dude!
Old 07-09-15, 09:11 AM
McCloudsZJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by mveale
Just in case you aren't already aware, aftermarket head units require a few extra steps to install than typical cars. You have to bypass the factory amp to make the speakers work. This will also get rid of the factory subwoofer, so you'll have to add an amp to get the bass back.

It's not difficult if you have the Pioneer ("Lexus Premium Sound") stereo, the amp is just behind the glove box and you can use two standard Toyota wiring harnesses so that you don't have to cut any factory wiring. There's a few helpful DIY threads and I just did this a few weeks ago, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Seems like a solid "beater," best of luck with the project, dude!
I did see that when I was shopping on Sonic. I probably have enough stuff laying around to redo it all... Wires, speakers, crossovers, etc. I have a couple subs, but they're all in boxes better suited for open air set ups. We'll see what happens.
Old 07-10-15, 09:43 AM
McCloudsZJ
Rookie

Leaving here for reference

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project: Lenor. The 1999 GS300 Winter Beater