Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My 95 SC400 VVTi Swap...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 07:49 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 95 SC400 VVTi Swap...(Now complete!)

Edit: 7/22/16 - Here is the very first drive. I plan on writing up a long post relating to the swap but for now, I'll leave you guys this:

So a couple of months ago I ran across a deal I just couldn't refuse (less than 500 dollars) on a 99 SC400 shell that had a 90% complete VVTi swap in it. Seeing how my 95 has almost 300K and leaks oil like a Mitsubishi (i.e. every possible location), I decided that it's time to start getting this swap rolling.

I bought my car for $1900 bucks last September, and it needed some cosmetic stuff for the interior (which I had), and the paint is rough in places. I haven;t driven the damn thing in 2 months due to expired VA inspection. Damn exhaust flange is warped and I just don't have the drive to replace it, so i'm going to keep the car parked until it's time to take it to the garage for surgery. The only things I have modified to this point is changing the Pioneer system to the Nakamichi (hey, when you have every piece to do it on the shelf, why not?), and switching over to the 96 keyless entry system (so I could have a remote and trunk pop).

The 99 i bought came with the following:

Engine
Trans
Driveshaft
ECU
Cluster
Keys
Steering Column
All relay/junction boxes/computers and wiring from the fuel tank forward
Fuel tank and pump/sender
Full stock exhaust

So far I have had to buy a shifter (thanks SMWallis, you are my hero), and a throttle cable (weirdest damn DBW system I have ever seen).

At some point i'll buy the 3.26 diff, but it isn't necessary to complete the swap. I also need to buy a correct radiator.

My plan is to essentially is to swap every harness from the kick panels forward into my 95. The fuel pump ecu and sender should plug right in.

So the good thing is, when I purchased the shell, the seller had a battery in it. It fired up first crank and ran like it was brand new. I really like the exhaust on the 98+ car (different resonators), it sounds reserved but not afraid to get vocal if needed.

I'm putting together (slowly but surely) a website that outlines some of the information on the swap. Its at http://sc.pogoism9.com/tiki-index.php. It's a slow process due to real life making me do **** that I don't want to do (i.e. work), but it'll get updated every week or so. Right now there are a few manuals and curcuit information posted out there.

I want to have this whole thing done by the end of August.
Attached Thumbnails My 95 SC400 VVTi Swap...-sc400.jpg   My 95 SC400 VVTi Swap...-20150630_223016.jpg   My 95 SC400 VVTi Swap...-20150630_223007.jpg  

Last edited by pogoism9; 07-22-16 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 04:55 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Good Luck !

I like how you can hang your car wiring on your closet doors !

My wife will quickly throw anything car related out of the house .
Old 07-02-15, 07:32 AM
pogoism9
Pole Position

I have 1 room in the house thats all for me. She doesnt touch anything in there. I cant leave parts anywhere else in the house though
Old 07-03-15, 10:04 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Very nice! I always wanted to do this swap. Good luck!

One other thing I was just thinking about, it might be easier if you went standalone. AEM Infinity supports DBW, so it might be something to think about it. You would probably just retain your harness, and add the DBW portion to the ECU. But since you have everything, it should be easier, just more man hours
Old 08-17-15, 04:44 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Picked upa new 99 dash, glove box, console, etc. Also got a 99 column (w/ 3 spoke wheel!), to match the airbags I bought (for 50 bucks each I might add). Also ordered my "project re-seal" engine kit. Just want to change all seals, timing belt, water pump, etc. Work should start in a coupe of weeks with the teardown of the 95 front end for the rewire. Heres a parting shot of the car as it exists now. I just put a tiny bit if gas in her to make the drive of shame to the garage this week.
Attached Thumbnails My 95 SC400 VVTi Swap...-lastride.jpg  
Old 08-20-15, 02:03 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Well, got all of my engine parts in to reseal the VVTI motor. Let me tell ya, that Aisin timing kit is the real deal! Work commences next Saturday.
Old 06-09-16, 11:09 AM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Well, 9 months later (been a rough year), I have some updates. See below:

The whining is the power steering pump, as it hasn't been bled yet. I still have to put the front end back on the car and finish the interior.
Old 06-10-16, 03:15 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

probably shouldn't rev it cold like that lol.
Old 06-11-16, 05:29 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

I was pretty damn excited that the old girl fired up first try. As far as I know, there aren't many 92-97s riding around with a vvti in them (not sure why, other than immobilizer).

It was funny. I put the exhaust from the 99 donor car on it, because mine had several holes in it. I could barely hear the motor from behind, and what little I *did* hear was coming from the front because the hood was off.

Originally Posted by oldManTan
probably shouldn't rev it cold like that lol.
Old 07-22-16, 08:21 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Bump for update
Old 07-23-16, 08:15 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

good job for getting your 2jzgte VVTi running .

some are having problem with that vvti throttle body that is the reason I guess many will prefer the non-vvti.

Last edited by gerrb; 07-23-16 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-23-16, 08:48 AM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
good job for getting your 2jzgte VVTi running .

some are having problem with that vvti throttle body that is the reason I guess many will prefer the non-vvti.
It's actually a 1uz vvti but the throttle body setup should work the same. My swap required transplants of full harnesses all throughout the front of the car
Old 07-23-16, 11:34 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^ oh ok .. I mis-understood , I stand corrected .
Old 07-23-16, 11:56 AM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
^^ oh ok .. I mis-understood , I stand corrected .
As far as I know, the early electric throttle systems used a cable to actuate an accelerator position sensor, which in turn fired the throttle motor. There is a failsafe built in though. If the ecu senses a problem with the electric throttle it cuts power to the motor and the throttle plate is actuated via the cable, but the butterfly will only open approx 30%.
Old 07-23-16, 03:30 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^^ YES , that is exactly how the early VVTI Throttle body operated ...

Quick Reply: My 95 SC400 VVTi Swap...