Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

97-SC300 Single Turbo Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-16, 04:40 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 1A1
Tuan? I have the R888s on my 6-speed car as well. Tune by with boost by gear and traction control by Larry at SP on all 5 boost settings in the PRO EFI. Each one more aggressive from 1-5 settings. In the warm weather here in southern IN from about late May-Late Oct I can run setting 5 no issues. It makes low 900whp on a 6766 fully built motor, etc. Our cars are pretty close except I am running 10/1 compression and have the PHR intake manifold. I have a really good alignment from a race shop called Track One in Nashville. That along with the traction control and boost by gear makes it hook wonderfully with no drama. I had the 315/30/18s and upgraded this year to 305/35/18s. Those are the size I recommend as they are 1 inch taller than the 315s and that allows you to hold each gear longer and also provides a more front to back contact patch vs the 315s.

Steve K.
Thanks Steve for the info, will definitely come in handy next spring. Will talk to Larry next spring to add a tune like that to my car, sounds interesting.

And yes, Tuan
Old 12-15-16, 07:20 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I just read the entire thread and all I can say is..............................................AMAZING, ...............................just AMAZING.

I have read some threads on here, but none to the extent, time, dedication, service to the SC community, unlike this build. I applaud you man. Just plain amazing. The attention to detail was overwhelming, down to every nut and bolt. You must be single, because my wife nearly divorced me after my small build, compared to yours. lol

Although I have sold my SC to another MKIV Supra lover, I have to give credit when credit is do.

I actually spoke to the new owner of my old SC a few weeks ago. He stated that the tuner blew up the BW S366 on the dyno, and he has replaced with something better, thinking Precision ball bearing. He is having some issues with the wiring, due to the erratic idle, and will be ripping the old wiring out and purchasing a new Tweek wiring harness.
Old 12-15-16, 08:10 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

how the hell can someone blow a Borg Warner S366 ? ... only thing I can think of is oil feed / return problem or a foreign object destroyed the wheels.

you know .. you would have been welcomed to my place up north if your wife divorced you because of your build , lmaol ...

I am almost there with you if I don't stop accumulating more SCs. Nah... my wife can't do that to me . She will be sorry .. hahahaha.

Glad to see you around again buddy !
Old 12-19-16, 07:46 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I just read the entire thread and all I can say is..............................................AMAZING, ...............................just AMAZING.

I have read some threads on here, but none to the extent, time, dedication, service to the SC community, unlike this build. I applaud you man. Just plain amazing. The attention to detail was overwhelming, down to every nut and bolt. You must be single, because my wife nearly divorced me after my small build, compared to yours. lol

Although I have sold my SC to another MKIV Supra lover, I have to give credit when credit is do.

I actually spoke to the new owner of my old SC a few weeks ago. He stated that the tuner blew up the BW S366 on the dyno, and he has replaced with something better, thinking Precision ball bearing. He is having some issues with the wiring, due to the erratic idle, and will be ripping the old wiring out and purchasing a new Tweek wiring harness.
Thank you man! Much appreciated.

I've been thinking lately how I need to move south so I can enjoy my cars year round. Right now I got two cars I cannot (or don't want to) drive in the winter season up here. Not practical, probably not safe, and would get them exposed to road salt.

Texas (or that area) sound good right about now!
Old 12-21-16, 03:38 PM
nuturf87
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have followed the countless pages of this build for a while now and all I can say is pure EXCELLENCE!!! Btw also saw the dyno results over from SP. Only greatness has touched this car. Keep up the great work.
Old 12-23-16, 05:32 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

anyone have any input on converting to a dual electric fan set up vs. the oem mechanical fan? i may be thinking of doing this
Old 12-23-16, 06:41 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

OEM IS300 fans (which I use in two of my cars) are the only ones I will use for electrical fans aside from the OEM clutch fan.

Wire them this way though instead of AEM inputs .. use your ProEFI inputs

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...wire-them.html
Old 12-23-16, 06:45 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I recently did the IS fan conversion. However the car hasn't ran yet since I did it so I can't comment too much on how they perform. But it sure does look better than the clutch fan. The built in overflow reservoir is nice.

I had to fab some brackets to mount it to the SC radiator. I put up the CAD file on here of the brackets I made. All said n done, I wonder if it may have been easier / cleaner to instead just mount them to an IS radiator, and custom mount the IS radiator in the car.
Old 02-05-17, 12:24 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerrb
OEM IS300 fans (which I use in two of my cars) are the only ones I will use for electrical fans aside from the OEM clutch fan.

Wire them this way though instead of AEM inputs .. use your ProEFI inputs

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...wire-them.html
i would run the spal fans with the phr shroud instead of the is300 fans. The spal flow way more. I have done both fans kits on supra making upward 1300whp and 1500whp that are driven on the street in houston. Definitely spal fans with a solid state relay controlled by the computer.
Old 02-06-17, 09:20 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jwin
i would run the spal fans with the phr shroud instead of the is300 fans. The spal flow way more. I have done both fans kits on supra making upward 1300whp and 1500whp that are driven on the street in houston. Definitely spal fans with a solid state relay controlled by the computer.
I saw that from a PHR thread at SF , having brought it out last year. I guess their IS300 fans setup was very expensive for most so they made an alternative and cheaper electric setup.

But I am the type of person that as long as a part serves my purpose , I stay with the more proven one . Besides if one will do their research well they can get the IS300 from $100 to $200 where as that PHR spal setup is $600.

Last edited by gerrb; 02-06-17 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-06-17, 11:12 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

One thing I personally really like about the IS300 fans is the overflow built into the shroud design.
Old 02-06-17, 12:58 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Dont change things if it aint broke....IMO.

The stock fan does the job well
Old 02-06-17, 08:21 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerrb
I saw that from a PHR thread at SF , having brought it out last year. I guess their IS300 fans setup was very expensive for most so they made an alternative and cheaper electric setup.

But I am the type of person that as long as a part serves my purpose , I stay with the more proven one . Besides if one will do their research well they can get the IS300 from $100 to $200 where as that PHR spal setup is $600.
the shrouds both cost the same from phr whether it's is300 or the spal shroud but the Oem fan blades and motors are crazy expensive. We have used the aftermarket is300 fan motor and blade it just doesn't flow the same as the car was starting to get hotter than normal. Granted the motor is a 3.4 half filled motor but it didn't get hot before. After we brought new Oem motor and blades the car doesn't even get hot. Even on full power mode on the is300 fans the spal fans just moves a lot more air and it's a cheaper setup. You can definitely go on eBay and find used is300 fans and just buy the shroud from phr or adapt the Oem shroud to fit.
Old 02-19-17, 09:32 AM
wright2383
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey 97-SC300,

Quick question about your CCW's (I probably read it in here but cant find it again) I remember you saying in this thread that CCW doesn't disclose offsets, and that you have 18's in front, and 17's in the rear, but what are your wheel widths and tire sizes?
Old 02-19-17, 10:27 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wright2383
Hey 97-SC300,

Quick question about your CCW's (I probably read it in here but cant find it again) I remember you saying in this thread that CCW doesn't disclose offsets, and that you have 18's in front, and 17's in the rear, but what are your wheel widths and tire sizes?

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-2014-a-3.html

Post #34 in the above link answers your question
The following users liked this post:
wright2383 (02-19-17)

Quick Reply: 97-SC300 Single Turbo Build Thread