Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

Not quite an LS400 / engine conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 01:51 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

While ECU is still on its way (it's already cleared by the customs though) , found some spare time to test the line pressure mod. Will post all the info in the dedicated thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...g-dial-10.html

Also, occasionally found unusual coolant leak. I do highly recommend to check if you have one there (coolant hole lid, part. ref. 11492-50010 , needs applying new sealant)
https://f-a.d-cd.net/d1a0e72s-960.jpg
Old 07-21-15, 01:41 PM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

So I eventually got this part, and rushed away from the work with the magic box

opened it

sticker on the ecu shows part number for order at Tom's

Connected it on table and, no big surprise, it has the immobilizer. And what's worse, the immobilizer chip is hidden under the add-on board. Which is mounted on 4 bolts and some sticky stuff. Only razor sharp Katana can undo it. ok, a decent box cutter works just as well. Undoing the add-on board and seeing the modified main board

add-on board, top:

add-on board, bottom

desoldering the immo system's memory chip

its content is just what one expects for any 1uz-fe vvti

uploading the proper dump and assembling everything together with my immo bypass device (shown on the picture is a special version which additionally includes sub o2 sensor emulation, St1- signal generation from STP signal (for cruise control) and 2nd fuel pump relay bypass)

Road test. It starts the engine, operates the transmission and that's enough for today as it's rainy and dark as hell now. Things I immediately noticed are
-my idle up device still works
-hydro fan works as expected
-the car is overall more responsive.
-the transmission did NOT become jerky
-in normal mode ( ECT switch position) the trans operates just normally, you still have to depress the pedal way more to get any downshift
-power increased both in low rpm and mid rpm range. Had no place to test high rpm
-speed limit cut:unknown (didn't test)
-rpm limit: have no idea (no tachometer in cabin)
-cruise control speed limit: didn't test
-power/snow modes: untested
Old 12-24-15, 12:05 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

Fitted new gear set for the axle, while retaining the Detroit TrueTrac differential
Old ratio : 4.1
New ratio : 3.54

The car feels way better now. Less jerky transmission shifts, better use of 1-2 gears, not to mention lower RPM at highway cruising

Why do I post it here?

There's an opinion that shorter ratio will help to get quicker off the line. That's not true, at least for 1uz-fe vvti with its factory 5a/t. By fitting a longer diff I didn't lose a fraction of the performance while gaining a lot of comfort in normal driving modes. In fact I even have a feeling that I can accelerate quicker now. Somehow I feel more torque in the low RPM range.
Old 04-14-16, 04:15 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

TransGo shift kit for the 5-speed Lexus transmission is finally installed
Feels better. Sometimes A LOT better
Both comfort and performance improved

I used spare valve body that I took from failed transmission sitting in mate's garage. The VB was ok with no signs of grease etc, all solenoids are functional too so I did not replace them.

top valve body (is not affected by the upgrade) and its bolts

bottom valve body (contains lots of *****)

Yes I had to take everything apart to grind that bloody rod down a bit

And it's important to not forget to install shifter rod properly

Surprisingly, VASTLY improved acceleration from standstill. I can literally feel the difference but I have no idea how it was affected. Slipping / too long engaging 3rd gear are all but gone. Completely gone hesitation when going uphill about 60-70 km/h . Earlier, the transmission would shift to 5th and quickly shift back to 4th without accelerator pedal action.

Low RPM, low gear range feels better now. Like there's more connection between accelerator pedal and actual acceleration.

Another problem this kit seems to have eliminated is jerky feel / harsh engagement when accelerating after braking to 5...10km/h . Earlier, you would move accelerator padal but nothing happened. Then, after a while , 2nd gear would engage with decent kick sometimes. This problem is also all but gone.

Overall, the kit seems to be worth its price