Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

99 SC300 daily beater 11 second street tire build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 08:08 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Went to a different track (local track to me). It was the first drags of the year so it was very busy. Got 3 runs in. I dropped the boost down as I don't want to go faster than 11.48. Went 12.2 and 11.9 with under 20psi. My wife ran the last run at 12psi and she went 13.5@105. Looking at her logs she was at an average of 50% throttle the entire pass.

We are going back again next week to make some more passes and get her a little more comfortable with racing as the 13.5 pass was her first time drag racing. I'm going to give her another 2psi until I see 100% throttle the entire pass. She did say that the 13.5 pass didn't feel very fast. Car generally runs 12.8@114 on 9.5psi for comparison.
Old 03-22-15, 07:08 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

You have a real cool wife who goes to the drag strip you and even run it down the strip. My wife does not even look at my SC much less drive in it lol. That is cool good to see the car still running good.
Old 03-29-15, 02:12 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the time and build.. Thx for sharing.....
Old 03-29-15, 07:36 PM
4rcedfed
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So im basically going to be doing a build similar to yours, jdm built auto for now. Reading on the first page you used a TT block with the ge vvti head, machine work and a stand alone. The only difference is i want to swap in a complete GTE vvti motor and built auto trans. Would it be safe to say that most of the stock 99 sc 300 wiring will plug into the gte vvti motor (minus the twin turbo vsv, tach, auto trans, and fuel injectors) and work if used a stand alone, with supporting mods, fuel injector resistors, and a single turbo? Will the stand alone control the jdm auto? Or is it best to just get a complete tweakd wiring harness? Sounds like only a few things would need to be rewired, and a aristo maf if i wanted to stay twins for now? Thanks! Great inspiration. Waiting for more updates on your project.
Old 03-29-15, 11:25 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Originally Posted by 4rcedfed
So im basically going to be doing a build similar to yours, jdm built auto for now. Reading on the first page you used a TT block with the ge vvti head, machine work and a stand alone. The only difference is i want to swap in a complete GTE vvti motor and built auto trans. Would it be safe to say that most of the stock 99 sc 300 wiring will plug into the gte vvti motor (minus the twin turbo vsv, tach, auto trans, and fuel injectors) and work if used a stand alone, with supporting mods, fuel injector resistors, and a single turbo? Will the stand alone control the jdm auto? Or is it best to just get a complete tweakd wiring harness? Sounds like only a few things would need to be rewired, and a aristo maf if i wanted to stay twins for now? Thanks! Great inspiration. Waiting for more updates on your project.
Although I cant say for certain. The GE and GTE vvti engines share Most of the same sensors and locations of sensors etc. Three that come to mind that are the TPS1 and TPS2 sensors as well as the DBW motor. The Stock GE vvti harness would have to be extended to reach the locations of the GTE engine. Using the existing harness, would be the easiest way to retain the functionality of the car I believe. You can Piggy back the stand alone off the existing 2jzge vvti ecu. If you swap over the valve bodies from the N/A trans to the Aristo trans, everything in the transmission will function normally as it did when you had the stock one in there. If you decide to keep the twins and want to retain the sequential system, You will need to use the stock aristo GTE ecu.

Lawrence
The following users liked this post:
4rcedfed (11-26-17)
Old 03-29-15, 11:30 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Well, Currently the car is Running and Performing Flawlessly. I have the car dialed in to run 11.6-11.64 Et's at 129mph on street tires. The car still has another 100whp of fuel left in it but that will have to wait a bit as I am at the equipment safety limit currently. I am having fun daily driving and racing the car. My wife is slowly learning to drive and we are going to start working on Launching the car and cutting a light. In her second time ever drag racing, She has now gone a best of 12.8@121 on her setting. Im very excited to see her get into the 11's soon.

Thanks
Lawrence
Old 03-30-15, 11:14 AM
4rcedfed
Rookie

Originally Posted by 93twintrbo
Although I cant say for certain. The GE and GTE vvti engines share Most of the same sensors and locations of sensors etc. Three that come to mind that are the TPS1 and TPS2 sensors as well as the DBW motor. The Stock GE vvti harness would have to be extended to reach the locations of the GTE engine. Using the existing harness, would be the easiest way to retain the functionality of the car I believe. You can Piggy back the stand alone off the existing 2jzge vvti ecu. If you swap over the valve bodies from the N/A trans to the Aristo trans, everything in the transmission will function normally as it did when you had the stock one in there. If you decide to keep the twins and want to retain the sequential system, You will need to use the stock aristo GTE ecu.

Lawrence
Thank you Lawrence for the help! Few more questions if you dont mind? I was going to PM you, but I figure maybe other people that have similar plans might want to get as much info as possible. If you want me to PM you so I dont mess up your thread, let me know.

When you say " piggy back the stand alone off the existing 2jzge vvti ecu" do you mean get a patch harness, run the 2jzge vvti ecu simultaneously with the AEM V2, but only wire in the engine sensors, fuel, map sensor, and timing to the AEM and let the oem 2jzge vvti ecu handle the A/C, Heater, transmission, etc?

Looks like the trans is holding up very well for you, any tips or advice, do's and don'ts? example, roll into power, let off before shifts, or like how you had to 50% throttle it so it wouldn't down shift to dyno etc?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again.

Last edited by 4rcedfed; 11-25-17 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-30-15, 08:26 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Thank you Lawrence for the help! Few more questions if you dont mind? I was going to PM you, but I figure maybe other people that have similar plans might want to get as much info as possible. If you want me to PM you so I dont mess up your thread, let me know.

Same goals as you, Auto trans, daily driver if need to be, a/c, heat, everything. Under 500 whp daily and up to 700 max if the trans can hold. But I want to be able to beat on this one. Pedal to the floor from dead stops, highway pulls, occasion drag racing. My Supra I didnt "beat" but the drivetrain could handle almost anything thrown at it. My 99 gs300 gte vvti, was not beat on, but had to put a few nissan/infinits, 335's, M3 and M5's in thier place!

When you say " piggy back the stand alone off the existing 2jzge vvti ecu" do you mean get a patch harness, run the 2jzge vvti ecu simtaneously with the AEM V2, but only wire in the engine sensors, fuel, map sensor, and timing to the AEM and let the oem 2jzge vvti ecu handle the A/C, Heater, transmission, etc? I wonder if cel's would pop up. Probably wouldnt matter.

The only thing I can think of to change if using the 2jzge vvti wiring harness on the 2jzgte vvti motor is: delete MAF wiring, extend wiring(starter, alt, fuse box, injectors, tps, a/c, etc), maybe resistors for fuel injectors, coil pack wiring if needed, tachometer, and everything else the AEM can handle? So theoretically the gte vvti motor should start up if all the sensors plug in and using the AEM.

I dont know sounds easy on paper, why would people buy a $1700 tweakd wiring harness (they are nice harnesses) if they can run it this way and get a stand alone and still retain all the creature comforts? There has to be something missing in this lol. I guess I will find out by doing it this way first.

Your built Aristo trans, you didnt post who or how. Do you do it yourself or send it out to boost logic, etc? Who do you recommend?

If you do it yourself, can you do mine and how much? Looks like the trans is holding up very well for you, any tips or advice, do's and don'ts? example, roll into power, let off before shifts, or like how you had to 50% throttle it so it wouldnt down shift to dyno etc?

Sorry for all the questions!!! I had a Supra so it was already turbocharged and the 6 spd is almost bulletproof. Also had a 99 gs300 gte vvti, those were easy, but never got into the built auto. New to the SC world!

Thanks again.
No worries. We are all here to learn. One thing with me is, I do not recite things I hear on the forums. I only state what I personally have done and that's it. Too much mis-information on the forums these days.

Not sure why anyone would prefer to have a harness made unless they would like the stand alone to control the transmission. I prefer to let the stock Ecu handle the transmission solenoids, I feel that it does it very well.

As far as the transmission build. It's essentially a stock transmission. I did shim the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators and modify the valve body. I am currently building a 99 Gs300 with this same combo. I have a SP built trans here for the project, but that's the only real difference from this sc300 build. Depending on what year sc300, I can modify the transmission for you. I would need the valve body off the existing transmission and donor TT transmission for the modification.

As far as driving style, I run the car from rolls, digs etc. I don't lift during shifts and generally drive it hard. I had the boost strategy, dropping boost during shifts, but now I am hitting the trans with boost during shifts. Let me know if you have any questions.
4rcedfed (11-26-17)
Old 03-31-15, 08:51 AM
4rcedfed
Rookie

Thank you for the reply!! Iam looking forward to see how the trans hold up with more power later. I think this is one of a very few success stories i have seen regarding the aristo auto and high hp.

Any other mods to the trans that you can share with us? Are you happy with the 3200 stall or are you thinking of changing it? How about your current rear end configuration? Any plans to change that?

I appreciate the help. And great thread!

Last edited by 4rcedfed; 11-25-17 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-31-15, 08:54 AM
atowerlexs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great build! Well done on the results.
Old 03-31-15, 10:56 AM
ems
Lead Lap

I love how clean your pipe routing is. just clean!!
Old 03-31-15, 10:18 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Thank you for the reply!! With the research I have done, most high hp builds using the auto that I read about have failed with less abuse(of course we dont know that, sometimes people omit things or dont really fully disclose thier driving style in thier threads). Thats the reason why I asked, since you are making good power, racing it, daily driving and the trans is holding up well compared to others. Iam looking forward to see how the trans hold up with more power later. I think this is one of a very few success stories i have seen regarding the aristo auto and high hp.

Any other mods to the trans that you can share with us? Like type of cooling setup, certain cooler you use, certain fluids you recommend? Are you happy with the 3200 stall or are you thinking of changing it? How about your current rear end configuration? Any plans to change that and why?(if you do)

So your stock ecu is still controlling the transmission, the factory shift points, and overall drivability is not really affected with the power you are running?? It doesnt over rev before a shift on a hard run?

And on the AEM how does it know when the car is shifting, so you can lower the boost/timing accordingly? Is it just teed into both factory ecu and AEM inputs? I apologize if these are dumb questions. I am just very curious because this is how I want my setup to be, and run like this(but using an gte vvti and modified built trans)

Thank you again Lawrence! I appreciate the help. And great thread! Love seeing how someone is exploring the limits of the aristo trans.
I will do my best to answer your questions. I have found similar stories about TT/aristo trans failures. The common consensus from my reading is that the failure point is 450-500whp or so. I have decided to test that as I have 3 aristo transmissions sitting on the shop floor. I like the 3200 stall but the car spools very fast and could use a tighter stall (2800) in my opinion. The transmission does shift fast and very firm so the stall does a good job of absorbing the shift at low speeds.

The stock Ecu has full control of the transmission. Shift points on the "Etc power" mode is 6725rpm. During logging the transmission shifts between 6,700-6,725 rpm every time during a WOT pull. I did have boost dropping during shifts based on vehicle speed since the Aem is not controlling the transmission. Transmission cooling is using the factory radiator cooling and an additional large B&M cooler. I am currently running Valvoline non-synthetic Dexron 3 fluid. After over 2,000 miles of hard abuse, the fluid still looks like the day I put it in. I have pre-wires the jumper harness for Trans temp and trans line pressure. Just have not removed the trans pan to weld a bung for the temp sensor.

The Aem is migrated into the car via a jumper harness. All extra inputs and outputs are wires into the jumper harness so not to alter the factory harness. A few of the input features are....
-Flex fuel sensor
-fuel pressure sensor
-2 step (triggered off brake pedal)
-scramble boost (26psi) enabled while holding the cruise control switch

I have run the car on the street at 26psi (in 3rd gear) and the trans has not had an issue...Yet. Honestly I am waiting for the trans to fail. I will continue to log mileage and quarter mile passes. Not sure how much power 26psi is but the car makes 619whp and 600+tq at 23psi. I would imagine 675-680whp. I will throw it on the dyno soon to get a HP number at 26-28psi.

Last edited by 93twintrbo; 03-31-15 at 10:25 PM.
4rcedfed (11-26-17)
Old 04-01-15, 08:30 PM
4rcedfed
Rookie

Great info Lawrence thank you. I will be following your thread religously. Im confident with the Aristo trans holding up with modifications. I am pretty confident doing the gte vvti with the factory harness and ecu with the patxh harness and AEM. Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-02-15, 09:33 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Ran a new personal best in the car. 11.33@132. Still on all season street tires.
Time slip

In car video of previous pass
https://youtu.be/X5XxZ0zN2TM
Old 04-03-15, 11:34 AM
ems
Lead Lap

what is the number your shooting for? are you looking at getting into the 10's or are you happy with where its at?

Quick Reply: 99 SC300 daily beater 11 second street tire build.