The Walrus - 1992 SC300 Black 5-speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 12:51 AM
aharlor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Walrus - 1992 SC300 Black 5-speed

Hey All,

First things first, I don't have any kind of extra money to throw at this project, so progress on this build will likely be agonizingly slow. That said, I do have big plans, so it will be interesting to see how far I actually get. My money is on "not very", if I had money to bet that is...

She's called the The Walrus as it's a black SC, and when I'm driving it "I be sailing the black, arrr!" (I'm a dork, I know, but I'm okay with it)

I've never built a car out before, so if you see any mistakes/ignorance please point it out, and help guide me in the right direction. I'm so green I don't even know what I don't know. Also, any numbers are based purely on my initial internet research of what should be possible, and not necessarily hard and fast numbers I have to get to. Overall, my goal is to build a reliable fast car. In other words, if part A gives me 50 HP, but needs to be replaced every 3 years, and part B only gives me 20 HP, but lasts forever, part B is the choice for me. It's a Lexus, it should last forever, and these are the type of parts I would like to use if possible. But again, I am coming from a place of ignorance, so I don't even know what is possible.

I see this being broken into several major phases (which I will open up discussion threads as I get to them to work out the details) and looking something like this:
  1. Mechanical grip:
    1. New rims and tires. Right now I'm thinking Drag DR-48 in 17 x 9 with a +38 offset with 265/40 R17 tires. I believe these should fit with no mods to the fenders. For the tires I'm thinking Nitto Motivo right now, as they seem like the best all weather tires. That said, I am open to suggestions if better options are out there, but I may need to drive in the wet, so all weather is important.
    2. LS400 BBK. I already have a set of calipers, just waiting on the rims to fit them. I might be able to get away with a spacer for the wheels on it now, if so, this will move to the top of the list. Also, if I can find them cheap enough I might do the LS rears with the stock SC pad carriers for weight savings, but I'm not building a racecar, so cheap is the key word here as cutting weight is not really a priority. But it is unsprung weight, so if the price is right, probably worth it.
    3. Gixxer Drew Suspension set up, with the 600/375 spring rates as suggested by flash9. I don't plan to slam my ride and these seem the best option if getting low is not a priority.
    4. Daizen bushings. These seem to be what everyone recommends, but if there are better options I'm open to suggestions.
    5. Probably replace the LCA while I'm at it, 25+ years and 250K+ miles, the stockers have to be tired.
    6. Sway bars and links. Not sure what to do here, but I'll likely let whatever shop does the aligning and tuning of the rest of the suspension match these up, but a discussion is probably in order.
    7. Supra TRD LSD.
    8. Strut tower brace. The efficacy of these seem to be debatable, so if/when these go in is unsure at this point.
  2. Go fast phase 1: (this is where I will need the most help)
    1. There doesn't seem to be a lot here, but any engine upgrades to improve HP, as well as any upgrades that I will need when I add the turbo, but functions just fine NA, if such things exist. Side note, I understand that the CAI for these cars aren't really an upgrade over the stock intake, so I'll likely forgo this, but if I misunderstand, please elucidate me.
    2. Exhaust. There doesn't seem to be a "go to" system/brand here, so I'll likely again defer to what the shop is selling, but I'm thinking 3" pipes and high-flow cats (CA kid here, have to pass that smog check), but if there is a better recipe, I'm glad to hear it. I don't necessarily care about loud, but I do want a good note, and flow.
    3. Start collecting the rest of the stuff I'll need for the turbo, bits and pieces not covered in the first step, fuel control, turbo control, plumbing, FMIC, etc.
    4. Once all the pieces are collected, turbo and tune. As I understand it, the weak spot in the stock drive train is 3rd gear which blows up at 460 WHP with hard driving, so I'm hoping to get over 400, but stay under 450.
  3. Appearances:
    1. Black interior. Either find one of the stock black interiors and swap, or paint, dye, and reupholster the existing one. Most likely the latter.
    2. Color match the yellow on black & yellow CA plates for racing stripes.
    3. Also color match the same yellow for the calipers.
    4. Tint the windows. However, in bright light there is a pretty bad glare on the windshield, so this is likely to be moved up the priority list.
    5. Clear side markers.
    6. Clear tails.
  4. Electronics:
    1. Mount and hard wire radar detector on rear view mirror.
    2. Android head unit.
    3. Reverse camera, and possibly dash cam.
    4. Upgrade cabin speakers.
    5. Add amps, subs, and processing.
  5. Go fast phase 2:
    1. Grannas Racing T56 6-speed swap.
    2. Grannas Racing Ford 8.8" rear end w/ LSD swap.
    3. New clutch to hold the power.
    4. Crank the boost and see how high we can take it. I'm hopeful to get it over 600 WHP.

So that's my road map, as unrealistic as it may all seem right now. Time to start ticking them off, as funds allow.