Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

The evolution of my GS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 01:13 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Thanks Pete! Basically have the new dash in, at least the difficult part. Good to know the SEM stuff you used is a good match, I used some duplicolor flat black vinyl coating on a few little pieces since that's what was available the other night, seems to match pretty well. I'm gonna try to do my steering wheel and airbag and I think I'd trust the SEM durability a little more for some reason. If it doesn't hold up I'll have to get a black wheel and redo the paddle shifters.
Yeah, mine (SEM) has been on for a couple years now and hasnt even faded or peeled or nothin. It's well worth it.
Old 12-01-16, 12:14 PM
cooper197
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seat covers, door inserts, and probably the matching floor mats (with a new driver's side) will be FS once I pull everything out, not sure on the time frame but I'm hoping to move quickly once the weather turns bad up here. I'll keep you in mind when I'm ready to sell!

I'd second this one. I'd be interested for sure when you're ready to sell.
Old 12-24-16, 09:47 PM
Michelex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the kick panels

hello want to know how hard is to build the kick panels like your...
Old 12-25-16, 04:09 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cooper197
I'd second this one. I'd be interested for sure when you're ready to sell.
I've got the covers off, just need to give them a cleaning and inspection to verify the condition, everything seems to still be in great shape though.

Originally Posted by Michelex
hello want to know how hard is to build the kick panels like your...
They're really not too difficult if you're familiar with fiberglass. There's diy tutorials out there but here's the quick version. The backs are fiberglassed in the car with the carpet protected, a wood baffle is then made for the speakers. It's mounted with plumbers strap or similar and the speakers are aimed. Dowels are used to secure the baffles in place and thenot fiberglass is used to connect the baffle to the back piece. Body filler is used to smooth things out and then finish with carpet or vinyl, etc. Hope that helps, Google should give you some tutorials with pics that would help make it more clear.
The following users liked this post:
Michelex (01-03-17)
Old 12-25-16, 04:20 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Not much of an update but waiting on Clazzio and working on a new rear deck cover at the moment.

Headliner and pillars are wrapped in black suede. Lead me to be able to start this project that really only works with a black headliner. Got some serious time ahead of me on this job but excited to see how it turns out.

Old 12-28-16, 07:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

nice, you see a lot of people in the LS and VIP scene do this but I don't think I have seen but 1 Gs with this... nice Kyle. also the black interior fits well, welcome to the black on black club
Old 12-28-16, 08:03 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
nice, you see a lot of people in the LS and VIP scene do this but I don't think I have seen but 1 Gs with this... nice Kyle. also the black interior fits well, welcome to the black on black club
Is that some type of passive lighting? My wife has something similar on the doors of her 2014 BMW and I always wanted something like that for my 2gen GS.
Old 12-28-16, 08:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alphaman19
Is that some type of passive lighting? My wife has something similar on the doors of her 2014 BMW and I always wanted something like that for my 2gen GS.
not my thread so I'm not gonna steal Kyle's thunder. its fiber optics...ages ago we talked about this and their are some links I provided in this link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/447555-starlight-headliner.html

I
love the template Kyle has designed of the star constellations.

just doing some basic reading on these if you kink them Kyle the light will shine at the kink so be careful and have fun this will be a cool update
Old 12-28-16, 10:31 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Brian is correct as always. �� Basically a night sky, starlight headliner. 200 fiber optic cables in 3 sizes with a led light engine. Started the "fun" part of placing the cables last night, mapped out the area of the sky around Orion as accurately as I could so for the perspective of a rear seat passenger. Decided to just use the back section of the headliner since they won't work on the sliding moonroof panel and it didn't make sense to me to put any next to it and leave it blank.
Old 12-28-16, 02:41 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Brian is correct as always. �� Basically a night sky, starlight headliner. 200 fiber optic cables in 3 sizes with a led light engine. Started the "fun" part of placing the cables last night, mapped out the area of the sky around Orion as accurately as I could so for the perspective of a rear seat passenger. Decided to just use the back section of the headliner since they won't work on the sliding moonroof panel and it didn't make sense to me to put any next to it and leave it blank.
I dunno Kyle I would think if you carried the theme along the sides and the front of the headliner it would probably look ok also. I just wonder if you will like it being bare up front also... I dunno if the sunroof area could be made to work or not, feasibly that is. I personally would probably do them on the sides and the front but that's just me. start with what you have and see how you like it.

are you pushing a hole through the front and then fishing the fiber optics through the back (so the hole is inward and not outward) that would make sense why your template is on the front?what are you securing the fiber optics with? I have honestly heard you can hot glue them. man I really do like this idea and cant wait to see how it turns out. your kiddo should love this too
Old 12-28-16, 09:23 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I thought about putting a few along the sides, I have a feeling you'd run into that kinking and breaking issue you mentioned on the moonroof cover when it opened. Correct, I'm poking the hole through from the front with a nail for the big strands and a large pin for the smaller ones, then pushing them through from the back. Using the hot glue at the point where it goes through and then electrical tape to bundle them together. About 5 fairly lazy hours in and 3/4 done.
In the meantime I've been sitting on these for a while waiting for the seats to get redone. Using the Jaguar table brackets, they were made from a solid walnut board, stained and high gloss glaze coated. I'm leaning toward wrapping the bottom side in vinyl and chrome edging like the front table and rear console, partially taking the easy way out over staining the other side...the pour on glaze can be a pain to get right!
Old 01-03-17, 12:32 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Got the headliner back in, just have to mount and wire tge light engine. Wasn't as bad as I thought it might be going into the job, took some time but not nearly what I thought it might. I like the way it turned out, don't know how often it'll actually be used but a cool show piece.
Fiber optic strands routed on the back of the headliner.

Back in the car, ready to cut the strands flush.

Finished!

Old 01-04-17, 06:56 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

legit!!!
i would wrap the bottoms of the tables and for sure do the chrome trim to match the front.
Old 01-04-17, 07:45 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Got the headliner back in, just have to mount and wire tge light engine. Wasn't as bad as I thought it might be going into the job, took some time but not nearly what I thought it might. I like the way it turned out, don't know how often it'll actually be used but a cool show piece.
Fiber optic strands routed on the back of the headliner.

Back in the car, ready to cut the strands flush.

Finished!

Nice.
Question: When you say that you will cut the ends of the fiber optic strands flush... What keeps them in place/flush? Won't the little strands stick out like a five o'clock shadow, so to speak?
Also, how are you powering the light strands?
Old 01-04-17, 10:56 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

looks great kyle, what does the little man think?

Quick Reply: The evolution of my GS400