Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Shorty's '01 GS300 Build for $2k or less!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 03:16 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kyle... Got any parts!? lol...

I do need a few things if you have anything available
Old 03-18-15, 10:38 AM
ems
Lead Lap

go go gadget shorty!! cant wait to see it flexin' next to my sc.
Old 03-18-15, 04:57 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

Just popped that 02 sensor in... no more codes. all clear. runs like a champ, perfectly smooth.

Still have upper ball joints (arms) to do when they show.
I also need the bushings for the rear axle carriers (where the arm meets)

Then all the mechanical is done....

Soon as it warms up and will stay above 60 at minimum I'm on to glassing up this body kit, and finishing all the odds and ends body work..
Old 03-18-15, 05:00 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

By the way ems... this project is moving very very slowly... remember how fast I got that 1950 Chev pickup built? lol

I still need a dang wire feed
Old 03-22-15, 05:25 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

Posting this Question here so it's not cluttering the general walls elsewhere....

I know the rear carrier bushing (TAB-124Z per toyota schem) has been discussed here in great detail, and I've read through a few threads in their entirety.... probably 60+ pages worth of posts dating Waaaaaay back.....

I'm not seeing much for current sources for the Rear Axle Carrier bushing that connects the carrier to the lower control arm.

Here is the only US source I am seeing right now:
http://febestparts.com/ARM_BUSHING_R...EMBLY/TAB-124Z

Is that is for source? I see some Fig bearings/bushings - but, in keeping with a budget build, I'm not looking to spend that kind of money at the moment... later maybe, but not right now.

I could also use a source for the front caster arm bushings - again, I am seeing some Poly ones from Fig - but, again, cost conscious, not looking to spend that at this time, and I also am not sure I want to go with poly anyway - as I don't want my ride that rigid, especially when I get around to wheels and end up with less rubber on the car

Thanks for any input.

The last mechanical things I have before body work are: Rear carrier bushings, rack & pinion bushings, front struts (trying to find this clunk in the front), caster arm bushings, and perhaps front calipers (one was acting up a bit, we'll see if the bleeding took care of it)

Thanks for any links you can provide to these parts!
Old 03-22-15, 05:56 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

ebay will have the carrier bushing for about $30 a piece and I think ROCA makes the caster arm bushings
Old 03-23-15, 11:54 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shorty SMC
By the way ems... this project is moving very very slowly... remember how fast I got that 1950 Chev pickup built? lol

I still need a dang wire feed
Ha Ha you had that truck chopped in half and painted in a week!! It blew my mind you showed up to that BMX track like the next week with it!!! so good!

keep it movin! and tear it up!
Old 03-31-15, 03:58 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

Did the rear carrier bushings (Febest, $18 each)
Did front struts.
Did upper control arms.

Ordered inner and outter tie rod ends. I'll do those tomorrow or Wed.

Ordered rack and pinion bushings.
Ordered sway bar links.

Friday I'm doing the front calipers (one is sticky), rack bushings, and sway links and bushings.

That should be it for my mechanicals for quite some time I think....

That means next week I start body work

I can't wait. This thing currently looks like Craaaaaaaaaaap lol
Old 03-31-15, 08:38 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The right bushings would probably be cheaper but I changed out the whole caster arms to the 03+ oem version that had beefier arms and the upgraded bushings, 01 bushings were already upgraded over the earlier years iirc but the thicker arms would be an option if you don't find bushings you're happy with.

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 03-31-15 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-01-15, 03:52 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
The right bushings would probably be cheaper but I changed out the whole caster arms to the 03+ oem version that had beefier arms and the upgraded bushings, 01 bushings were already upgraded over the earlier years iirc but the thicker arms would be an option if you don't find bushings you're happy with.

bought my pair from Sewell before they closed and i believe they are the upgraded version as well...
Old 04-01-15, 12:28 PM
ems
Lead Lap

you can get them at myLparts.com i think with 10% off using code CL5
Old 04-02-15, 08:20 AM
TableSyrup
Driver

MAN! GRRRRRRRRRR

I thought I would finally have it (After finishing the inner and outer tie rod ends)... have a clunk in my front end on the driver side, mainly at lower speeds hitting bumps... good size bumps...

(Up Front) I've done lower ball joints, upper control arms, inner and outer tie rod ends, struts, rotors and pads (sticky caliper I'll be rebuilding tomorrow)...

I have Rack mount bushings and sway links coming today so I'll be doing those tonight or tomorrow...

I did not get loaded struts.... but the upper mounts are solid as far as I could tell....

So, there are still Caster Arm bushings, and inner control arm bushings, which all look good, and with a bar, don't seem to have any excessive play....

IF the sway links and rack bushings don't fix it, I'm thinking it could be my steering bushing at the firewall, caster bushing, control arm inner bushings, or the upper strut mount on the driver side...

Really a pain cause it is something I can't reproduce without driving....

No shake in the steering wheel.....

Any tips on what to do to try to identify it from being parked, or up on stands?

I really sort of don't mind replacing all this stuff, cause I plan on driving this thing till the dire end...
BUT.... as of right now, I'd really like to move on to body work, and WILL NOT until I have everything mechanical done....

Last edited by TableSyrup; 04-02-15 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 02:47 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

Well, poly rack bushings didn't save the day (Can tell a difference though, over the old worn out wobbly rubber ones)

I was gonna do the sway links today too, but they sent me two rights... S.O.B... figures...

I'll have replacement sway links tomorrow... so those will go in and calipers will get rebuilt.

Interestingly... I can reproduce the clunk while driving at slow speed and violently whipping the steering wheel back and forth....
Definitely on the driver side.... Almost sounds like it's coming from the shock tower (maybe the upper mount is bad)

I can't get it to do it at a stop... only when rolling....

Driving me nuts lol
Old 04-02-15, 03:54 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

end links are the same... if you ordered from Rockauto its the same part x 2...

your GS should ride like brand new... I have tie rods and caster arms waiting to be installed.... been lazy lol....
Old 04-02-15, 04:03 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

There's definitely two different parts.

Looking front to back when installed,
Driver side, the lower bolt goes straight back into the control arm, and the top goes left to connect the sway.
Passenger side, the lower bolt goes straight back into the control arm, and the top goes right to connect the sway.

They are essentially a mirror image of each other
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...300&vi=1373835

Maybe you're thinking of the rear? (I haven't looked at those yet)

Last edited by TableSyrup; 04-02-15 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Shorty's '01 GS300 Build for $2k or less!!!!!