Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Shorty's '01 GS300 Build for $2k or less!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 04:08 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

yes i was thinking of the rear... i remember now that it was 2 part numbers for the front...
Old 04-04-15, 07:08 AM
TableSyrup
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the links... as I removed the driver side link, the sway bar kinda popped and shifted in the 'frame' mount.

I could never get it to play before.... and they look like new aside from looking 'dusty'... no checking, curling, shrinking, nothing....

So, I immediately ordered new ones, and for or shiggs and gits, I pulled the driver side bushing apart and wedged a chunk of spread open rubber hose in it and clamped her back down.

No more clunk.

So, now I am left with another dilemma... having replaced so much already (Which I wanted to, not just from trying to eliminate the clunk).... I'm feeling like maybe I should do the caster arm bushings and inner lower control arm bushings. lol

Lower control arm bushings I don't mind so much.... I have the tools to do it.... The caster though... I don't have anything big enough to press em out.....

I really wanna get an alignment and just move on to body work... so... I think the plan is gonna be to order the caster arm and lower control arm bushings....... start body work..... then, right before paint, go buy a 12 ton press, do the bushings, then I will let myself spray it It will be good incentive. lol

Anyway... for now, it is on to body work

Bodywork dilemma..... do I scratch this Duraflex kit and get something that doesn't totally suck at life?

My thought is, for now, run it... I can always swap it for something I like.
I am still in the car cheap enough to meet the $2000 budget (no kidding) if I can find wheels cheap enough ... or maybe be a couple hundred over.....
(In case you didn't catch it, this car was bought for $800, and it's purpose was a $2000 budget build goal) - at least initially.

So, I may just sorta get the kit fitting better.... as in, pretty good, but not perfect... with the intent of replacing it later.... I can see I will have clearance issues in the winter.... this kit sits LOW !

Outside Duraflex, who makes cheap kits for these? Preferable NOT fiberglass....
(I'm actually pretty dang good with fiberglass and I've done a ton of it, but with clearance issues, I don't want to be doing it every weekend)
Old 04-10-15, 02:36 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

This may or may not be a trunk full of fiberglass supplies and tools, ready to go for tomorrow and sunday...

I may or may not be super stoked to finally start body work

She drives like a brand new car now, but she looks like crap.... this is about to change
I'm gonna customize this kit some too.... Aside from it really not being my first choice of kit, there's a couple things about it that I really don't like, so, I'm gonna fix that
Attached Thumbnails Shorty's '01 GS300 Build for k or less!!!!!-fullsizerender-1-.jpg  
Old 04-13-15, 01:48 PM
TableSyrup
Driver

And it begins....

I'm on stock suspension.... the front bumper is so low I ended up dragging all the time, so I raised the lip an inch and a quarter.....

Also fixed some cracks in it and also laid up around the headlights so shape them better... the fit sucked really bad.... I've got the one side trimmed and fit, with the other side setting up right now... later today I'll back it all again from the inside to thicken/strengthen it up some more, then tomorrow will be final skim coating and sanding ....

Also have final skim coats setting up on the 1/4 panel that was smacked... pulled it out and filled the rest of the way to smooth things out... not perfectly happy with having mud in there... but it's a cheap project, and it will be fine.... last time I did a similar repair it lasted the 5 years the car was driven, and went into the scrap yard still without issues...

So, basically, the work I've started just needs final tweaks, then I'll do the skirts, then she'll be ready for paint.... but, if you know body work, you know that final fit and finish stuff ... the last 5% of the way takes 95% of the time lol....

In the meantime she'll just get touched up with silver so it's not raw exposed filler or primer....

I'm hoping to get her into color within 3 weeks, but we'll see if the weather plays friendly or not.....
I'm thinking charcoal, with black hood ...... hmmmmm

I really need some wheels now lol...
Attached Thumbnails Shorty's '01 GS300 Build for k or less!!!!!-img_3511.jpg   Shorty's '01 GS300 Build for k or less!!!!!-img_3526.jpg   Shorty's '01 GS300 Build for k or less!!!!!-img_3529.jpg   Shorty's '01 GS300 Build for k or less!!!!!-img_3530.jpg  

Last edited by TableSyrup; 04-13-15 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 09:40 AM
ems
Lead Lap

I saw the car just after you got it and seeing it in person and all the work you put in is staggering, even though you were "sick" on that second day of body work you got mad progress in.
Old 08-01-15, 06:38 PM
ELLeon
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

TableSyrup I almost bought this car for the black interior. I just didnt have anywhere to put it. You must have gotten a great deal because the seller was desperate. Kept calling and lowering the price. Good buy, I am guessing you will be needing that black interior right??
Old 09-04-15, 09:23 AM
TableSyrup
Driver

Yeah, I sorta need the interior lol...

Been a while.... here she is in one color..... not perfect body work... not a show car.... but she's coming along....

I've got some 18's I might put on... or grab some different ones... they would need tires anyway....

Anyhow... after the wheels... it's gonna be tint, then intake and exhaust
Attached Thumbnails Shorty's '01 GS300 Build for k or less!!!!!-screen-shot-2015-09-04-at-11.24.56-am.png  
Old 09-10-15, 03:22 AM
ELLeon
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TableSyrup
Yeah, I sorta need the interior lol...

Been a while.... here she is in one color..... not perfect body work... not a show car.... but she's coming along....

I've got some 18's I might put on... or grab some different ones... they would need tires anyway....

Anyhow... after the wheels... it's gonna be tint, then intake and exhaust
Nice work man, I remember when I stopped by to see it. Mine will soon be in the garage ready for its makeover. Nice to see other MN people here. Good work!!