Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

tenac2215's '93 SC400

Old 02-21-15, 02:53 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tenac2215's '93 SC400

Hey ClubLexus! so i have had my car and been on the forums for almost 3 years now, and i guess its time i finally started a build thread for my car!

So i got my car in March 2013. the car was owned by some old lady and the car only had 84000 miles on it!

only 84k!

interior had been redone before i got it
Old 02-21-15, 02:57 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice, really clean SC...you have a lot of mileage left to be put on that engine-what's ur plans? Manual swap that 8?
Old 02-21-15, 03:01 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

in June 2013 i picked up a set of supra twin turbo rims, which totally changed the look of the car i feel.

Shiny!

i bought some dunlop direzza dz101 tires for the supra wheels in 255/40/17 and 235/45/17
the tires were great for the price and i lasted about a year and a half on them (mostly due to burnouts lol). the 255's on the rear also seemed a bit stretched, even though that is the oem size for supra tt rears. next time i will get 275/40/17 for the rear to fit the rim better.
Old 02-21-15, 03:03 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Nice, really clean SC...you have a lot of mileage left to be put on that engine-what's ur plans? Manual swap that 8?
eventually! probably not for a while though, it is my daily driver car as well, so im gonna need a second car before i tackle that w58 swap haha
Old 02-21-15, 03:27 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

in late August 2013 I decided to do the BFI mod for my intake...

made a template out of cardboard like most other people do for the intake cover

this is some 1/16" abs textured plastic that i got from ebay for a couple bucks. thick enough and easy to cut

i cut the covers and the box using a regular dremel and a reinforced cutting wheel.

made a little sheild to block off engine heat and bolted in on using the preexisting bolts for the powersteering mount

the finished product: i used door trim guard from pep boys to clean up the edges of the cover and some ford push-pins to hold down the front.

after the mod i could immediately feel an increase in throttle response and a little more high-end power. i'd say the mod is worth it cause it is easy, cheap, and offers modest performance gains. plus you can hear the intake now when you open the throttle! WOOSH!
Old 02-21-15, 03:28 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

in September 2013 i got in a bit of a fender bender. messed up the bumpers, the exhaust and needed a new hood...

the car was restored to its former glory after about a month without a trace of the accident thankfully
Old 02-21-15, 03:57 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

since the exhaust got all bent up after the accident, i took it at as an opportunity to have a new one built for me!

i found a set of greddy/trust mx axleback mufflers on ebay. these are pretty rare too from what i understand.

i had my local service shop make a 2.5" exhaust system off of the cats (which are hollowed out now) into an x-pipe, then out the trust mufflers. the guy the i bought the mufflers from sent me the rest of the greddy/trust catback which is actually for an sc300. so put on the 2 new pipes and the axlebacks on and took it to the shop for them to make the new center section with the x-pipe off of the cats. i drew out this diagram for the shop...

this is how the mufflers look on the car:

heres a video of the exhaust sound. really smooth, and plenty loud! i really like it! I also felt a pretty solid increase in power, especially in the high end

also got a soarer badge for the front end around this time, which i think is really cool looking

Last edited by tenac2215; 02-21-15 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-21-15, 04:15 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

in April 2015 i found out that my EGR valve was going bad, so instead of replacing it i decided to go for Lextreme's EGR delete kit. the kit included block off plates for the egr module and the egr tube, and resistors so there would not be a check engine light.

the kit i got actually looked a little different from this; the plate for the module actually blocked off the pcv valve hole as well, so i needed to get a breather for the pcv valve.
since the egr tube is extremely difficult to remove, i just left it on there and put the top egr tube block off plate in between the intake plenum and the tube.

i painted the block off plate black with exhaust paint. i also didnt use the resistors cause i could not get them to remover the check engine light for the egr not being plugged in. instead, i just plugged the top plastic part of the egr module into the plug and stuck it under the intake manifold, and got rid of the check engine light!

the car have gained another horsepower or two bydeleting the egr and the pcv from the the intake, but i mainly did the delete cause my egr module was broken and i didnt want to spend a few hundred on a new one. the delete also makes the engine bay look a little cleaner/nicer.
Old 02-21-15, 04:40 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

in July 2014 i picked up some BC racing coilovers from clublexus member shayy and some new front control arm bushings from prothane. as many of you know, the only way to replace the control arm bushings yourself is by burning out the old rubber ones with a blow torch. this was one of the worst experiences ive ever had lol. it was so messy and dirty, and on top of it, it was like the hottest week of summer in Maryland, so i was sweating my A** off! the whole job took me about six days (starting at 7pm each day, staying up till 2-3am due to work).

bushing burning fun!

it was all worth it though! right after the work was done:

lower:

there we go!

ride was definitely a lot stiffer, as i have the dampers at max stiffness, and there is very little body roll now. the first time i really puched it down a back road with the new coils, i was amazed at how much better the car cornered. these coilovers are great and are very affordable. definitely a recommended mod that really transforms the sc400 from a floaty boat into a performance car
Old 02-21-15, 04:52 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

i realized after the coilovers were installed, the wheels, especially up front had quite a lot more camber, which made them sink in to the wheel wells too much.
so in November 2014, i purchased and installed some ichiba spacers. 15mm for the fronts and 10mm for the rears.

the spacers came with extended studs, which was a bonus! getting the old studs out were a lot of fun, theres just something enjoyable about knocking out old studs with a sledghammer!
this job only took about 2-3 hours, and was totally worth it...

the spacers brought the wheels out right where i wanted them; nice and flush with the fenders
Old 02-21-15, 05:02 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice changes, especially the wheels and exhaust system! She sounds good too!
Old 02-21-15, 05:32 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Looking good 92-94 SC For the Win!!!!!
Old 02-21-15, 06:02 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

seeing as the car is my daily driver, and Maryland had a pretty bad winter last year, i decided to get set of winter wheels. when i got the supra rims i sold off the stock rims, so i needed to get some new winter wheels. i found a set of 1st gen gs300 rims (16x7.5). after some research i decided that i would try out General Tire's Altimax Arctic tires in 225/55/16.

didnt get too much snow until earlier this month. drving in 1-3 inches, the car is great with these tires! doesnt get sideways unless you want it to, and if you do, it is very easy to control. very pleased with these tires!

i dont think the GS rims look too bad either, and the Altimax's treads look nice and aggressive!
Old 02-21-15, 09:46 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

you did a great job with this car, very tasteful.
Love the perfect condition chrome TT's. They complement the silver spruce very well.

In for more pics with spacers and TT wheels
Old 02-23-15, 07:18 AM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
you did a great job with this car, very tasteful.
Love the perfect condition chrome TT's. They complement the silver spruce very well.

In for more pics with spacers and TT wheels
Thanks! Unfortunately the chrome actually chipping realy bad on the passenger side lol. That's why I only take pics of the driver side! I am going to refinish the wheels in someway before it get warm again. Thinking about just sanding down and painting silver

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tenac2215's '93 SC400