Brian's 1999 SC300 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 04:55 PM
Reaper617
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian's 1999 SC300 Build

Hello all,
I think it's time to start my own build thread so here goes. As you may have guessed my name is Brian and about a month ago I purchased a 1999 SC300. It was in ok condition for 187k miles but does need some love. 3 of the 4 struts were shot, it was in what I was told was a "15mph parking lot accident".... Not quite antenna was broken, A/C inop. I've already replaced the valve cover gaskets, spark plugs and wires, thermostat and changed all the fluids. Anyway onto the good stuff.

My plan is to first fix the suspension and cosmetic damage and get the car in well working order before I begin a 2JZGTE VVTI swap. I was very strongly considering going NA-T but being the weaker VVTI motor and having 187K miles I just think that is going to lead to a very dead motor. And I've always wanted a 2JZGTE in something. I'm still on the fence about leaving it auto or converting it to a manual.

onto pics of the car as I got it.

Removed the front bumper cover to see what I was up against

Not quite such a low speed crash, but not too much damage, got a new bumper beam from the junk yard and a new headlight/high beam skeleton from Lexus and a new drivers high beam lens.

A couple days later I ordered A set of Tokico adjustable struts and springs

Unfortunately I came to find that they are just too low for me so I'm going to go back to the stock springs for now. But here is how she looked.

And some wheels I had sitting in my back yard from one of my Z's. I actually like them on this car.

That's it for now. I have some Whiteline steering rack bushings on order and am just compiling a list of what I need/want for the swap. Thanks for lookin.
Old 02-19-15, 05:04 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Brain, good start with the maintenance piece. You'll be able to drive her a bit longer having done this, in the meantime saving up for your swap. Wheels look pretty good too! GL with your build, and keep us posted.
Old 02-24-15, 10:47 AM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

i actually like how it looks man. good luck on the build. the rear could use just a tad more drop but thats my opinion. i dont like cars slammed to the ground but i do like very little wheel-fender clearance. if you dont mind telling us, how much did you get this car for?
Old 03-02-15, 06:10 PM
Reaper617
Driver School Candidate

I like the look of it a lot but it just rubs too much I picked it up for $3000
Old 03-25-15, 05:43 PM
Reaper617
Driver School Candidate

Finally got tires today. Went with 285/40ZR18's on the rear.

I think I'm going to go with coilovers since I still don't care for the tokicos I got. I'm thinking BC's. Are there any fairly smooth riding setups?
Old 03-26-15, 08:24 PM
scblackout
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reaper617
Finally got tires today. Went with 285/40ZR18's on the rear.

I think I'm going to go with coilovers since I still don't care for the tokicos I got. I'm thinking BC's. Are there any fairly smooth riding setups?
I run the BC's and I would call them anything but smooth, but they are indeed a nice budget setup. Just make sure to take the time to adjust preload properly and you will find that on the soft setting they can be 'fairly' smooth. For daily driving I run about 11 steps away from hard setting, so it's firm but not jarring. I am running the heavier supra spring setup from BC and I am only dropped about an inch or two.
Old 03-26-15, 08:53 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good start man, we have TWIN CARS!!! I have a 97 Platinum with Black Interior. I admire your holding out and doing the VVTI swap, should look really good tucked in there. I decided to risk it and go the NA-T route even though I am at 190k, if you care to see you can check out my build thread.

Where in CO are you located, and what shop do you work at? I am out by Parker an I'm a Tech at Infiniti of Denver in Aurora.

Good Luck on the build and keep up the posts! oh and welcome to the forums, I see you are still fairly new here
Old 03-27-15, 05:31 PM
Reaper617
Driver School Candidate

Good start man, we have TWIN CARS!!! I have a 97 Platinum with Black Interior. I admire your holding out and doing the VVTI swap, should look really good tucked in there. I decided to risk it and go the NA-T route even though I am at 190k, if you care to see you can check out my build thread.
I was seriously considering NA-T but having the weaker na motor decided against it.

Where in CO are you located, and what shop do you work at? I am out by Parker an I'm a Tech at Infiniti of Denver in Aurora.

Good Luck on the build and keep up the posts! oh and welcome to the forums, I see you are still fairly new here
Nice, I'm in south east Aurora and work at Autonation Subaru South.

Last edited by Reaper617; 03-27-15 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-27-15, 05:41 PM
Reaper617
Driver School Candidate

I run the BC's and I would call them anything but smooth, but they are indeed a nice budget setup. Just make sure to take the time to adjust preload properly and you will find that on the soft setting they can be 'fairly' smooth. For daily driving I run about 11 steps away from hard setting, so it's firm but not jarring. I am running the heavier supra spring setup from BC and I am only dropped about an inch or two.
Thanks for the input, i was thinking the softer ones (BR series I think) but you're the second person to tell me BC's are not smooth so maybe not.