Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992 SC-300 2JZGTE swap year 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 01:34 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sounds to me like they get a big kick out of failing you guys over and over again. what a huge pain.
I hope you make it through soon. I would suggest just taking it back to the first place and see if they say the same things. air filter is silly just put an oem one in for it and you can probably find a factory air box pretty easy single turbo guys must remove those all the time.
Old 04-07-15, 01:45 PM
4rcedfed
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you are paving the way for people who want to go this route in the future, I know I definitely will and will return to this and Kahns build threads. I will collect parts as I see them for sale, and do a different build on a different SC later. But I been craving for boost the day after I sold my Supra. So for now, gte vvti to hold down my cravings for boost.

Also, on the N/A 2jzge, are there plugs where the oil squirters usually go? I thought I seen them in an old emergency block I had, but I forget. Just wondering because I have some oil squirters somewhere and would like to add them in on an emergency block I will pick up from my buddy, I guess I'll go do a search for info.
Old 04-07-15, 01:47 PM
vigman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this is our 2nd time at bat… last time I considered the PUNCH LIST… reasonable… Today was USELESS.. AND ( here's the IRONY ) David drove ALOT… what about ALL the NASTY emissions he put out over that time???!! So much for THAT clean air POLICY EH? Charcoal canister ordered. Oh and another OH BY THE WAY… Until you pass FULL visual inspection, ANY pervious tail pipe tests DO NOT COUNT ( even though we PASSED last time with FLYING COLORS )
Old 04-07-15, 01:49 PM
vigman
Driver

And IF anyone has a FACTORY AIR BOX…PLEASE IM me
This Monday is the NEXT ROUND !
Old 04-07-15, 04:22 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by vigman
FAILED !!!!
So NOW the plot THICKENS
Pierce college was OPEN
So WHY the HELL did they have my son drive to Santa Barbra !!!
So the Guys in Santa Barbra PASSED the main cat …
Busted us on 2 NEW things
1)The K&N air filter is listed for a 93 and earlier… not OUR engine ( 94 ) AND they want the FACTORY COMPLETE AIR BOX !
2) The Charcoal canister MUST BE for a turbo supra !

Here we go again ! ROUND 3 DING DING DING !
This is getting really stupid. It's beginning to sound like the contradictory answers I would get from three different BAR field technicians over the phone a couple of years ago. If things were signed off on at one location, WHY aren't those determinations put into a case file for the vehicle so that the progress is on record??

Oh wait... I know why... it's because this is an entirely SUBJECTIVE EVALUATION. And because the system is set up more to fail older vehicles to get them off the road and tire out people who try. Why else would such an incompetant discrepancy between different the evaluation policies of two field offices exist?

I'll stop there. It isn't something that can be fought...

So Mike, the charcoal canister cannot be from Airtex/Wells, then? Because I thought that was listed for a 93-98 Supra Turbo?

And the air box issue... again... rhetorical question but why two different interpretations?

Well this is our 2nd time at bat… last time I considered the PUNCH LIST… reasonable… Today was USELESS.. AND ( here's the IRONY ) David drove ALOT… what about ALL the NASTY emissions he put out over that time???!! So much for THAT clean air POLICY EH? Charcoal canister ordered. Oh and another OH BY THE WAY… Until you pass FULL visual inspection, ANY pervious tail pipe tests DO NOT COUNT ( even though we PASSED last time with FLYING COLORS )
And IF anyone has a FACTORY AIR BOX…PLEASE IM me
This Monday is the NEXT ROUND !
^^ Yes, absolutely Mike. By now we know and I hope others reading this understand that while having cats and functioning EGR *DO* reduce emissions over a 1JZGTE or JDM 2JZGTE, this is not really about clean air and never really was. It's about a numbers game. The plus for us is that a route even exists to make our cars "legal". Still, I do agree with your earlier posts entirely regarding how poor the air quality used to be in L.A.

I just feel what you're going through right now isn't part of the solution.

Now the last part you mentioned is complete BS. All past smog tests are invalidated? That's very stupid and mean spirited. I like the Pierce College folks only at this point.

As for the factory air box... you know I have the entire assembly but I can't give that up :/ I am going to look around now. Want me to put a WTB ad on Supraforums for one? Or have you already?

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
sounds to me like they get a big kick out of failing you guys over and over again. what a huge pain.
I hope you make it through soon. I would suggest just taking it back to the first place and see if they say the same things. air filter is silly just put an oem one in for it and you can probably find a factory air box pretty easy single turbo guys must remove those all the time.
^^ It's really just bureaucracy, Ali. Apparently even the BAR field offices simply don't compare notes with each other. It's kind of a double edged sword: you are supposed to be able to visit another BAR office to get a second impartial opinion/evaluation like an appeal case. But Mike and David have just experienced the inverse. They were given the run around due to poor inter-departmental communication and now have been given an even harsher evaluation. With the exception of the catalytic converter.

I've experienced this over the phone with them several times before while doing research but driving that far to get the experience firsthand is just stupid. I agree that Pierce College should be the place they go back to from now on, more for the experience they have than the long drive to get to Sacramento.

Originally Posted by 4rcedfed
Well, you are paving the way for people who want to go this route in the future, I know I definitely will and will return to this and Kahns build threads. I will collect parts as I see them for sale, and do a different build on a different SC later. But I been craving for boost the day after I sold my Supra. So for now, gte vvti to hold down my cravings for boost.
If you can learn from our examples, that's what this is all about Awesome that you have a GTE in there already. You'll have to convert that engine to non-VVT when the time comes.

Originally Posted by 4rcedfed
Also, on the N/A 2jzge, are there plugs where the oil squirters usually go? I thought I seen them in an old emergency block I had, but I forget. Just wondering because I have some oil squirters somewhere and would like to add them in on an emergency block I will pick up from my buddy, I guess I'll go do a search for info.
The oil squirter galleys are not drilled in GE engines. The GTE squirters can be added but it does take some work at a machine shop to do so. There is the argument that they are useful for longevity to cool the pistons but it's been proven they are not necessary for reliability. Also, many extreme (very extreme) high horsepower builds have deleted the oil squirters from GTE blocks or just used GE blocks.

There is a reason they are there and they do have value and use, but they aren't a 100% necessity. Unless I end up modifying my plan and obtaining a GTE block I will not be adding squirters to my GE block.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-07-15 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-07-15, 04:56 PM
vigman
Driver

Craig YES if you could post a WTB add on SF that would help.
Yes the program & inspection is VERY subjective.
But after going on a drinking bender ( of ginger ale ) I've decided to put a positive spin on it
They ONLY have 2 things to ***** at.. and I WILL ram this home. The Air Tex / Wells COVERS all those years
and looks , smells like FACTORY ( but I will let you know ).
The Santa Barbara DUDE was WRONG on the K&N.. his doc only covers up to 93 for OUR filter
OUR paperwork shows UP TO 95 .. but I'm still going to have an AIR BOX prefit & ready to go
Old 04-07-15, 05:01 PM
4rcedfed
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6

^^

If you can learn from our examples, that's what this is all about Awesome that you have a GTE in there already. You'll have to convert that engine to non-VVT when the time comes.

The oil squirter galleys are not drilled in GE engines. The GTE squirters can be added but it does take some work at a machine shop to do so. There is the argument that they are useful for longevity to cool the pistons but it's been proven they are not necessary for reliability. Also, many extreme (very extreme) high horsepower builds have deleted the oil squirters from GTE blocks or just used GE blocks.

There is a reason they are there and they do have value and use, but they aren't a 100% necessity. Unless I end up modifying my plan and obtaining a GTE block I will not be adding squirters to my GE block.

Oh no I do not have the GTE in the car yet. I will soon, as I am craving boost again. I've read that the oil squirters are not necessary, I just thought that I have seen plugs in the GE blocks where the oil squirters would go, but I was wrong. Maybe I seen it on something else. Oh well. Thanks for answering my questions. Very informative threads.
Old 04-08-15, 02:24 AM
KahnBB6

^^ I've been craving boost for years and years. I'd prefer to have an easier and less expensive route just to get it in this car. Just be careful with that swap. I'd almost recommend starting the conversion project now while it's out if that's your ultimate plan! Plus you can sell off some parts such as the TT VVT-i head, harness and ECU since it's becoming more popular in the Supra community now.

Mike... I sent you a PM with a lead on a USDM airbox and USDM MAF that could be shipped to you.

Also, the alternative airbox since you somehow have a USDM wiring working with the JDM MAP sensor (USDM is AFM/MAF + MAP sensor) is the JDM Supra JZA80 TT airbox which looks like this:

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-08-15 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-10-15, 06:15 AM
vigman
Driver

Charcoal canister OH BY THE WAYS.....Blues
Well well.... doing the research we are missing one of the vac nipples on the turbo intake side that goes to the carbon canister. I assume since we have a JDM turbo set up...The forward intake pipe Part Number: 1226246021 had a flat casting but no hole ( and pipe stubbed out ) for the #1 port on the canister. This is the BAD NEWS.. the GOOD news our loacal YO dealer has that pipe in stock AND it's ONLY $12 bucks.... WIN ( we hope ).... Canister SHOULD be here today according to Fed Ex !

Last edited by vigman; 04-10-15 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-10-15, 08:02 AM
vigman
Driver

Default This " nipple "

Is what we are " missing "....
Attached Thumbnails 1992 SC-300 2JZGTE swap  year 2-usdm-front-pipe.jpg  
Old 04-10-15, 08:22 AM
vigman
Driver

Default A better pix of the #1 port to the EVAP canister 2JZGTE USDM

From this thread http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...Removal-How-To
Attached Thumbnails 1992 SC-300 2JZGTE swap  year 2-1-vac-port-better-pix.jpg  
Old 04-10-15, 08:29 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

what car year model is exempted from any inspection / emission tests in Cali ?

I am sorry and pity you guys to be going through all these troubles and at the end of the day after spending tons of money and time still have stock horsepower ? I will find other ways so I can get my car be driven in Cali .......
Old 04-10-15, 08:59 AM
KahnBB6

Mike -- wow, another of the least mentioned variances between the USDM and JDM turbos. At least the upper pipes are compatible. And it does seem as if the factory bypass valves (OEM recirc. bov) are the same.

Glad you found a pipe so quickly. Yeesh. amazing that they didn't see that on two other visits. Any word on the airbox yea or nay?

Gerrb -- Appreciate your sentiment. But I think both Mike and I knew this would be a struggle compared to just about any other JZ swap. As for the horsepower... I'm okay with a ceiling of 350-400whp. Really. I'm not used to that in daily driving yet and I can't see any reason it won't be a night and day difference from 180whp even in upper altitudes.

As for what's exempt: any vehicle 1960 or older had zero smog controls. There aren't many vehicles until 1968-69 that had any smog parts other than PCV to maintain. 1975 and older (used to be 73 and older??) are exempt from smog testing but not from smog itself.... but you can guess how many classic cars use that leeway.

All diesels built before 1998 are smog exempt. While this doesn't sound enticing generally, look up the track record of the Mercedes OM606 I-6 engine. As long as you aren't blowing soot you're pretty much undetectable since the ARB does not have any testing procedures for pre-98 diesels. A friend and his girlfriend both have OM606 powered vehicles.

Beyond this... an LPG, CNG or EV would all be exempt.

Not that I think EVs are any SC owner's cup of tea but for a huge ton of money you could have EV West build you a 400+ horsepower conversion if you like a 2-speed Powerglide to handle the massive torque. Maybe a V160 can handle 1100ft lbs from 0 rpm :/

There is also buying a factory LS1/LS2/LSx car like a GTO. Not that hard to stay fairly legal with one of those.
Old 04-10-15, 03:17 PM
vigman
Driver

The FACTORY part ... NO LONGER AVAILABLE....( Typical toyota BS ! )
BUT we had a FACTORY 90 degree toyota elbow ( off the Old 1JZ engine ) a little drill & tap action for 1/8 X 27 NPT... punch the center, David worked his way up to 11/ 32 made some wrinkles in the aluminum BOOM.... DONE... The charcoal canister came in this AM.. so that's in the process of being installed. We found our paperwork for the K&N and it CLEARLY STATES UP TO 1995 and 1/2 so we MIGHT be able to silde on the air filter ( I HOPE ) .....Another foot note... the HARD LINES that run across the top of the valve cover for the JDM version do NOT have the 5th hard line for the canister, so it's vac hose all the way baby !!!
Old 04-10-15, 03:27 PM
vigman
Driver

Gerrb.....
For me this process is a bit EXTRA painful because we had a lapse in registration..... IF your car is CURRENTLY registered and you pass EVAP & Tail pipe / dyno... Some places do not inspect as HARD as the REF's... We could ONLY go to the REF's...That being said.. it's going to be EASY to bypass some of this stuff to get a WEE bit more ...
But we are building for the LONG HAUL and daily driver.. More HP more FUN BUT more strain on bit's & pieces..
So If we stay "STOCK-ISH" the car will last a LONG-LONG time..PLUS you won't have to throw bones & read chicken entrails for it to pass emissions IF we flip the car. We will know EXACTLY what it needs IF ANYTHING.. and it will be a LEGIT SWAP..And I think that adds value.

Quick Reply: 1992 SC-300 2JZGTE swap year 2