Old 03-25-15, 01:12 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Got it, thanks! That intake tube ought to be on its way to you by now
Old 03-26-15, 01:35 AM
vigman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig I need 1 more pix…. a look as DEEP onto the 02 hole as possible… the " discussion " is is the 02 looking at the front of the CAT BRICK or is it just a baffle or chamber??
Old 03-26-15, 01:43 AM
KahnBB6

You caught me *just* before turning in for the night, lol. They're being that critical of the O2 flange?

Okay then... I'll shoot you a shot in a minute.

Update:

Here are a couple more of shots of the cat: 02 closeup and overhead orientation (but what you would see if looking up at it standing under the car on a lift)

The rest is hard to photograph with my small iPhone camera. If you absolutely need a better shot of the inside I'll use my Canon with a tighter lens focused on the honeycomb itself.

What I am seeing is that the O2 sensor flange is pointing the cylindrical sensor at a diagonal in the direction of the honeycomb AFTER the catalyzing process. The area just after the honeycomb appears to be a big chamber area. imagine the honeycomb as almost box-shaped inside of the exterior casing you see pictured.

There is no "baffle" area in there. It's just hollow with the honeycomb in the middle. The O2 sensor gets a nice, free range angle to sample the exhaust gasses.

Unless the O2 sensor is far longer than I recall, it isn't right up against the honeycomb. There would be perhaps 1/2" to 3/4" of clearance between sensor tip and honeycomb.

But as far as I know this 3rd O2 sensor does the same thing that the same sensor in all Cali-spec SC300's and Cali-spec MKIV NA's do: it's a kind of checking sensor that is less involved than the two front O2 sensors near the turbos (or header in an NA). That's as much as I know about it's function-- if that helps with what they are looking for. What I know for certain is that this sensor has no bearing on the air/fuel mixture calibration from the ECU which does require the front two O2's to do that in order to fire properly.

Whether it has any active bearing on the operation of any of the other emissions equipment up front I have no idea.

I assumed it is just there to verify the #2 catalyst is functioning within spec.

Isn't there a slight bit of distance leeway of the O2 sensor which they will allow for legal replacement universal cats?

It's an awfully tough bend to replicate on a standard weld-in aftermarket cat.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-26-15 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-26-15, 12:17 PM
vigman
Driver

wen't to the HOLY GRAIL of knowledge (Pierce college) spoke with Jack
AANNNDDDD I have the WRONG CAT ! I HAVE a 338105 and NEED a 338135…
2 problems
1) The BUNG is round threaded VS a 2 hole plate ( ref's don't care about the attachment OF the O2 ) as long as the POSITION and ANGLE VERY CLOSE ( THey said they would sign off on this ).
2) ( and here's the funny bit ) The FLOW of that cat looks reversed so the O2 would be on the OUTPUT not the INPUT.. and they didn't care about THAT ! It let's them off the hook since there is an APPROVAL LETTER STATING AAAAAAAaaaaaaayyyy it's OK !

My muffler GUY is scrambling to find that DARN CAT~
( oh and previous posts are corrected for the right CAT number )
Old 03-27-15, 04:57 AM
vigman
Driver

Still waiting on word back from Magna Flow… ( cost delivery time etc etc )
I think this weekend
A/C recharge.
Rework the intake/ air filter setup.
Backup lights ( still not hooked up )
Fix the Avic stereo ( the slide out screen .. isn't ) I think David used to long screws to mount the unit back in the dash…

Not much else to report at this time
Old 03-28-15, 10:25 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

where did they get the info that the exhaust looks wrong? from the manual? some of those manuals just have the generic exhaust picture and not what it actually looks like. there was a thread on supraforums someone was having trouble trying to figure out why theirs looked different as well. looks like you are close keep up the good work!!
Old 03-29-15, 03:50 AM
vigman
Driver

Monday, back to the muffler shop to change the rear cat…
Magna flow DID have ONE in stock.
Car got a BATH yesterday ( 1 official bath in ~ a YEAR!!! )

The INFO came out of ALLDATA which used the Supra shop manual " graphic "…
and is a VERY GRAY area since it's a CUSTOM exhaust so any deviation from
..Well the Supra LOOKS like this.. and THIS part # is the correct one ( and the ONLY one ) CARB approved.
… and you need to make that change or NO sign off… So we are STUCK between the ROCK N hard place !
The muffler shop is going to eat the cost of the CAT exchange, but we will pay for labor.. I have a long standing relation ship with these guys. I just want to keep em happy and NOT take to much of a bath on this mistake.

Mike
Old 03-29-15, 12:37 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by vigman
Monday, back to the muffler shop to change the rear cat…
Magna flow DID have ONE in stock.
Car got a BATH yesterday ( 1 official bath in ~ a YEAR!!! )

The INFO came out of ALLDATA which used the Supra shop manual " graphic "…
and is a VERY GRAY area since it's a CUSTOM exhaust so any deviation from
..Well the Supra LOOKS like this.. and THIS part # is the correct one ( and the ONLY one ) CARB approved.
… and you need to make that change or NO sign off… So we are STUCK between the ROCK N hard place !
The muffler shop is going to eat the cost of the CAT exchange, but we will pay for labor.. I have a long standing relation ship with these guys. I just want to keep em happy and NOT take to much of a bath on this mistake.

Mike
Mike, if I am understanding correctly, there is exactly ONE approved cat from Magnaflow in model #338135 but even as a special order they had only one in stock at their warehouse? Did you get the impression they won't have any more batches of that model cat in the future or that this sale to you marks their cue to make more of them? And is the same model used for #1 as well as #2?

I still can't believe there aren't any *legal* high flow alternatives but that's how it is. Plenty of non-legal alternatives. The OEM TT cats are very good at keeping emissions output in spec but are very, very restrictive. Based on what I've been told, they will flow up to about 360whp, or in simpler terms-- not even quite what is considered "BPU" (which involves replacing your #1 cat with a downpipe). I'd be willing to bet you'll see just a bit more out of that Magnaflow.

It doesn't surprise me that it's a gray area :/ Most deviations from stock on this motor configuration seem to be. Although the FMIC passing muster was a welcome surprise. It really does back up what you said about this particular flavor of legal engine swap being extremely rare in Cali. Although I'm sure Supra guys request these cats too.

You're so close. Rooting for you and David this coming week! Your swap has given me a big boost of hope with mine
Old 03-30-15, 07:35 AM
vigman
Driver

There is one approved FRONT and 1 approved REAR ( part # are earlier in the post )
the PRE ( front ) is a generic 2.25" cat in a small barrel form.
The MAIN is more of a flat pack cat with heat shield WITH a bung in the bell for a threaded O2
( not the 2 bolt flange style ) .. the thinking is IF you replace the CAT you need an O2 as well..

IN other news...

Well the AC is charged and blowing COLD BUT ( GAH ! ) the AC door position sensor is causing and error code in the AC head unit…. So IF David keeps pressing the little BLUE button climate control button the compressor stays engaged… Me thinks when he replaced the expansion valve , he forgot to reconnect a rod going from the motor to the sensor...
Old 03-31-15, 09:46 AM
4rcedfed
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the refs actually check the operation of the turbochargers vsv's? Or is it just visual? I dont think I read anything in your posts about it being visual or actually testing the vsv to pass. Great thread by the way. I would love to go this route, but lately I have not seen any front clips or usdm gte motors for sale. So gte vvti for now.
Old 03-31-15, 12:25 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by 4rcedfed
Do the refs actually check the operation of the turbochargers vsv's? Or is it just visual? I dont think I read anything in your posts about it being visual or actually testing the vsv to pass. Great thread by the way. I would love to go this route, but lately I have not seen any front clips or usdm gte motors for sale. So gte vvti for now.
^^ 4credfed, I can't comment (yet) on your questions but as to your last comment:

It is indeed hard to find USDM GTE front clips or fully original long blocks at time of this writing. 2JZGTE VVT-i's are great engines and have the same overbuilt bottom ends as the non-VVT versions (2JZ-GE VVT-i's are another story-- weaker bottom ends than before), plus the VVT head and system are supposed to be better in the hands of a good tuner.

But you can't make a VVT head Cali legal since it has no EGR port.

To get a USDM in your car without buying a USDM you have two options:

1.) vigman's route: buy a non-VVT Aristo (or Supra MKIV) 2JZGTE complete engine and swap to a USDM GTE head with EGR and the sensors/VSVs required.

2.) my route: start with an early non-VVT 2JZ-GE block (or any 2JZ-GTE block) and add not only the USDM GTE head but pretty much all the hardware you don't already have.

Edited because I later discovered that due to the lack of drilled oil galleys on 2JZ-GE blocks that would feed the JDM or USDM sequential twin turbos it makes the process MUCH easier to just start with a full 2JZGTE engine or build up any year 2JZ-GTE block regardless of what car it came from. It is possible to feed sequential twin turbos with a lot of extra external oil feed hoses made of braided steel but this adds far more complexity than is necessary. It isn't usually an issue for most people because MOST people don't build their 2JZ-GE or 2JZ-GTE blocks to use the JDM or USDM sequential twins. Most go right into a single turbo build. But that's not going to pass BAR inspection in CA.

Both options are very tedious but it's probably going to be easier to go with route #1. Either way you will want to go through any engine with a fine tooth comb and replace necessary components.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-13-18 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Edited after discovering that it made more sense to begin with any 2JZ-GTE block when planning to use OEM twin turbos
Old 04-06-15, 07:23 AM
vigman
Driver

There is NO turbo test .. all of those emissions " test's " are visual. That being said they do have the shop manual and have seen a few TT supra's… PLUS when on the dyno doing the 15 & 25 mph tail pipe tests.. they MUST be used to cars with NO GUTS.. there was just a bit of SPOOLIN when on the dyno LOL. But the RULE IS … the power plant MUST BE as CLOSE to factory as possible, ALL after market BLING MUST HAVE A CARB LETTER or you will get written up and MUST FIX IT !
Old 04-06-15, 07:33 AM
vigman
Driver

And tomorrow we go for the FINAL inspection BUT here is the LOO-LOO..
I guess the guys at Pierce College are going ( assuming on vacation ) SOMEWHERE..
To keep tomorrow's appt David has to go to SANTA BARBRA…
FRACK!!!!!
The next " available " appointment @ Pierce is on the 20th !!!
I will not be able to go on that …David's suspension is just TO RIGID and will completely F -up my back !!!

I think he has springs over 2X4's
Old 04-07-15, 01:22 PM
vigman
Driver

FAILED !!!!
So NOW the plot THICKENS
Pierce college was OPEN
So WHY the HELL did they have my son drive to Santa Barbra !!!
So the Guys in Santa Barbra PASSED the main cat …
Busted us on 2 NEW things
1)The K&N air filter is listed for a 93 and earlier… not OUR engine ( 94 ) AND they want the FACTORY COMPLETE AIR BOX !
2) The Charcoal canister MUST BE for a turbo supra !

Here we go again ! ROUND 3 DING DING DING !

Quick Reply: 1992 SC-300 2JZGTE swap year 2