Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Kahn's USDM 2JZGTE swap thread (aka The "Not Easy" Way)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 12:20 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SC42
See I couldn't Live in CA ,NY and VA..

I like the states where after 20years , you car is consider historic so no inspection , no emissions!!

You are one patient man, I got a lot of respect for you!
Thanks a lot, 99SC42! The patience is not easy, let me tell you. The hardest part is not being able to assemble anything yet. But that's okay. I've still got plenty left to buy :P
Old 04-09-15, 05:27 AM
vigman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig, Got your E mail about the air box.. going to run that up David's flag pole today ( we were busy getting the AC back together in the 300ZX TT ) So that's all good… But then Brandon takes it to SMOG and that failed too!
FRACK.. I'm waiting to get the report back from Smog.. Now this will be an interesting case in point ( Ca BS rules ) … 5 + years ago when we did the "BUILD" the smog REF's stated the CATS had to be for the VIN of the BODY, NOT the power plant ( DURH ) . I was WILLING at the time to put in the PRE's but the muffler shop would NOT sell em to me NOR install em.. so we went in with ONLY the 2 main cats. So NOW the car got " Approved' By CARB and got the under hood sticker. TODAY the car NEEDS the PRE CATS to 100% KOSHER. Here is the punch line .. NO ONE MAKES REPLACEMENT PRE CATS !!!! I ASSUME a universal one will work.. but I will inquire MONDAY during round 3. IN OTHER NEWS Our CARB " approval letter" for the K&N lists up to 95 for our filter. So we will go in with the new charcoal canister AND the letter back to Pierce and let the dice ROLL. I don't think there is enough time to get that air box N stuff & fit it PROPERLY prior to Monday ( based on our other commitments ) …
That's the PLAN….
Old 04-14-15, 10:28 PM
KahnBB6

^^ I'm still amazed at how poorly supported obviously popular models are with emissions gear. Hopefully for your friend Nissan still sells TT front cats for the 300ZX. They'll be horrendously expensive of course. I also still don't understand this ridiculous nonsense about muffler shops not selling cats or installing them under certain circumstances. A repair is a repair.
Old 04-15-15, 08:37 PM
vigman
Driver

So on the Z there are NO precats available for AFTER MARKET.... what they NOW sell is a JUMBO main cat...
PPffttthhhhhhhh......
Old 04-15-15, 09:13 PM
KahnBB6

^^ That's really stupid. I hope this doesn't affect your Z32 any time soon. They're original classics...
Old 04-15-15, 11:38 PM
KahnBB6

Today's update:

New Hypercoil 500FR/250RR linear springs came in. Pictured with the required helper springs and mounting rings for the helpers I picked up last year.

These will step my car down from 600/325 linear springs to better suit the often poor roads we have out here in L.A. Not sure when these will be swapped in since I have no garage. I may get help from a close friend who has a shop beachside.

A new 2JZGTE Supra rear-sump oil dipstick was also put on order. Refreshingly not expensive.

Old 04-16-15, 07:22 AM
vigman
Driver

Nice SCORE ~
About the Z it's actually MORE FLOW than before… so not a big deal…..
Mike
Old 04-16-15, 02:30 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by vigman
Nice SCORE ~
About the Z it's actually MORE FLOW than before… so not a big deal…..
Mike
That's good. OEM cats are pretty restrictive anyway. So long as everything physically fits into a custom exhaust system. By the way, have you seen this Jalopnik article?

http://jalopnik.com/i-imported-a-nis...les-1698000720

In the comments, DeMuro mentions that even with the older series GT-R's it's very common to disable or eliminate the Hicas AWS system. Very interesting that the wear and tear issue affects pretty much all older Nissans with Hicas.
Old 04-16-15, 02:34 PM
KahnBB6

Update:

Put a 2JZGTE Non-VVT-i crank gear/pulley on order and got a new GTE throttle body #1 TPS sensor for a good price. At this point an Aristo long block would have made more sense to start with but at least everything electronic will be 90% new and reliable. There is so little left to collect now that it just doesn't make sense to buy used electronics.

The master parts list on page 1 will be updated very soon. I still need to go back through my purchase records and include used odds and ends from 2013-early 2014.
Old 04-24-15, 06:06 PM
KahnBB6

Small update:

The 13052-46010 2JZ-GTE 24-tooth crank gear came in, as did some oil pump o-rings and the new TPS sensor #1. I got an amazing price on a new OEM Toyota 2JZ-GE VVT-i oil pump coming in from Dubai-- insane exchange rate.

Still bit by bit for now but I think I will start work assembling the rest of my intake side and figuring out how to re-thread/repair a vacuum port location on the inside of the USDM GTE intake manifold. It came partly stripped and I need to get the exact thread measure to set it right before the assembly goes onto the car.

Pictures of this to follow shortly.
Old 04-24-15, 09:25 PM
KahnBB6

This is the section of the GTE intake manifold I need to re-thread. The area with the round vacuum adapter. Does anyone happen to know what tap and die size I would need for this?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-24-15 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 04-27-15, 07:56 AM
vigman
Driver

Silly question.... why do you need to re tap it? Is the original sender stripped??
If the intake side is stripped, you MIGHT have to helicoil it.. not sure if they make pipe thread helicoils
Old 04-27-15, 08:54 AM
KahnBB6

Mike, indeed it is the intake threading that needs to be re-coiled. I don't know how someone did this but it was like this when I bought the manifold. I thought at first this was just the way the vac sender was supposed to sit but realized later that, of course, half the threads had been damaged.

I can screw in the vac sender halfway but not full in. Two vac senders sit exactly the same way-- one used and one that I bought brand new.
Old 04-27-15, 10:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

typically those small holes are a 1/8 bspt which is a british standard pipe thread, or they are a small metric size like a m8 but that is more usually for bolts than vacuum stuff.
I am not positive for hte sender it could be either really.

I would try and use the sender to confirm at a place that would have a 1/8 bspt nut or metric nut and you can see if it will go in a couple turns. if they dont have BSPT you can try on a 1/8 NPT fitting (Us version national pipe thread). the design on the 2 standards are different but a bpst should thread a few times into the npt and get tight. if that is the case you can just order a BSPT chaser tap or if you want to avoid all that...

another option is to forget the factory thread and just use the next size up like a 1/4 npt drill and tap it and then you can use a 1.4 npt to whatever adapter fitting or just use a 1/4 to hose barb to a vac line. you can see if 1/8 NPT would work but if it really is a stripped 1/8 bspt likely wont be enough meat left to tap but not a bad place to start. be sure to clean the intake thoroughly after that obviously.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-27-15 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-27-15, 08:36 PM
KahnBB6

^^ Ali, thank you very much! Your suggestions are where I will begin. I would like to try to repair the threading to factory spec to continue using one of the two vac senders I have. The new one is a compact Toyota three-nozzle type TT owners like to use.

Quick Reply: Kahn's USDM 2JZGTE swap thread (aka The "Not Easy" Way)