Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

GS430 from Across the Pond

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-15, 12:59 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Good God I love the two tone! I've been tossing up either switching out my tan interior to all black or go two tone black/tan and now I'm convinced.

And I think the height it's sitting at in the pics with the Fiesta looks great, I'd leave it like that if it was mine.

Nice job mate, keep it up.
Thanks dude, much appreciated
Old 03-28-15, 12:59 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Well it's time for an update. I have been busy but it's mainly maintenance work at the moment. The rear lights and grill are still coming along nicely, the grill especially, but today I also have an update in regards to my wheels as I finally bit the bullet and decided to test fit them. I was nervous because being 18" and the style that they are, I didn't want them looking too small.

In regards to maintenance I have done the following today:

- Replaced the engine oil and oil filter
- Aligned the exhaust up so they sit perfectly
- Replaced the diff fluid(man was that black and gunky. Never been changed most likely!)
- Sorted out the loose air filter the best I can until my new one arrives
- WD40'd the LCA bolts ready to change both LCA and front, rear trailing arm bushes tomorrow
- Adjusted the heights on the coilovers now the system is settled in

I am going to be working on the bushes tomorrow so I may do a DIY write up but it looks straight forward. I am also waiting for the parts below....

- NRG Quick Release hub adapter
- VSV solenoid valve from Japan
- Mercedes E Class grill

So onto the main event (well it was for me), did I have the wheels I wanted or would I be selling them on! After todays test fit I am more than happy with them. They look perfect in my eyes and I think a lot of that is down to the colour wheels and the colour car. I have ordered radinox lips for all four corners, (the fronts being a thinner dish so that the wheels won't poke out so much). Before anyone states the obvious, they are too small for the VIP look, but I am not going for that look and never have. I wanted VIP styled wheels but on a practical 'street' look. The car will still be practical and as I do give her a good run from time to time, I wanted OEM camber and wheel alignment and I think I will get that with these wheels and some minor arch modifications.

Pictures....

Thanks for looking.
Old 03-28-15, 01:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

great update... the wheels sit perfectly flush from the pics.... A DIY would be great if you have the time...
Old 03-28-15, 02:00 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
great update... the wheels sit perfectly flush from the pics.... A DIY would be great if you have the time...
I'll see what I can do Tony. I will have the time so I'll take pics along the way and thanks for the compliment
Old 03-28-15, 02:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by RichS11
I'll see what I can do Tony. I will have the time so I'll take pics along the way and thanks for the compliment
what brand LCA did you go with?
Old 03-28-15, 02:09 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

I'm using the OEM arms, etc. I just purchased new bushes.
Old 03-28-15, 02:13 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

I'm using the OEM arms, etc. I just purchased new bushes.
cool.. keep us posted....
Old 03-29-15, 04:42 AM
PeteGS300
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lookin good rich.
Old 03-30-15, 05:52 AM
RichS11
Intermediate

Thanks Pete.

Well another little update, well more of a DIY for those looking to change their trailing arm bushes.

Car jacked up and wheel off. You can see the trailing arm popping out from behind the caliper on the right hand side and then looping under the car....

This is one end of the trailing arm. The two 19mm bolts can be seen connected to the LCA. All bolts will need soaking in WD40 or something similar as there is every chance they have never been undone since the factory....

The other end with the bush that needs replacing....

The end I started at, with both bolts removed (they are in very, very tight!)....

At the bush end, remove the 19mm nut holding the bush onto the chassis. Then with a 14mm socket, remove two of the bolts holding in the lower supporting bar (not sure on technical name but it looks like a sway bar of sorts)....

The trailing arm on the floor. You will need a vice, a punch of some description and a mallet.....

This is where I got to as the bushes sent out to me were 60mm in width and the GS430 requires 65mm bushes. The new bushes are on order, but now I have two brand new 60mm bushes with nowhere to put them. I may make a FS advert for them if there's any interest.

That's it for now until Thursday where a new batch of parts including my E Class grill, snap off steering wheel adapter and bushes will arrive, amongst other things

Thanks for looking.
Old 03-30-15, 07:52 AM
RichS11
Intermediate

Well with thanks to the mail man, I wasn't finished with my updates today....

Fitted....

Sticks out nicely with my driving position....

Wheel off....

I am one very happy chap. She is now a lot more secure than before, not that I need to worry about it in my area of the World, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.
Old 03-30-15, 11:15 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good i like it, may i ask what radio unit is that?
Old 03-30-15, 12:29 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by juvi22003
Looks good i like it, may i ask what radio unit is that?
It's not quite to the standard of your build dude. I can't wait to take on a big project like a manual conversion.

It's a JVC unit. I'll have to check the model number when I get home. It's probably a little dated now.
Old 03-30-15, 12:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

cool update.... the whole front end is jacked up correct to replace the trailing arm or one side at a time? thanks Rich
Old 03-30-15, 12:52 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
cool update.... the whole front end is jacked up correct to replace the trailing arm or one side at a time? thanks Rich
Yes dude. Two axle stands each side with a trolley jack to support the side I'm working on. I did both sides because I knew I'd be replacing both. You don't have to though.
Old 03-30-15, 01:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Yes dude. Two axle stands each side with a trolley jack to support the side I'm working on. I did both sides because I knew I'd be replacing both. You don't have to though.
i bought full replacements from Sewell so i'll be doing both sides... from the older DIY looks like you need a large wrench to turn the arm so you can tighten the main bolt down ... i think that is the trickiest part from the pics i've seen... can't wait to do mine...

Quick Reply: GS430 from Across the Pond