Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Oochi's SC300 LSX Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-14, 12:03 PM
Oochi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oochi's SC300 LSX Build

Hello all! Thought I would make my intro thread and build thread in the same thing to save some clutter. First thing's first: my name is Ryan and I'm from Lexington, KY. I just purchased a 94 SC300 shell to turn into my new fun machine. Compared to my other car (90 Miata) Build thread: http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/89-...6-build-2.html that I have been actively drifting, this thing is massive. And for that reason; should be a much better chassis for the motorsport.

With plans on an LSX swap (yeah I know, ANOTHER one) I have already gotten the DGR mounts with a HUGE thanks to sc300bigtx for getting me hooked up for a great price.

Since this car was an automatic, my buddy who I bought the car from also had a factory 5 speed car that he let me grab the pedals and clutch master cylinder and we got those parts swapped over to my SC, which was fun to say the least. I noticed there are computers for EVERYTHING with these cars and for this purpose-built car, needs to get cleaned up.

I have been reading through the forums and build threads like turbodremz's and others trying to get some ideas on how much of a pain this is going to be to pull off. So if anyone has some good guidance, please don't hesitate to throw some at me, and I will keep doing as much research as possible.

The first few things I would like to tackle:
ABS/TRAC Delete with Hydro Ebrake
AC delete
Cruise delete
Clean up the engine bay in prep for paint
Remove all the wiring and components I don't need
Replace many bushings
Weld the diff
Shave off as much weight as possible

Pictures!

Christmas present

These are awesome quality - much impress

And for anyone interested in the most fun car in the world, my 1990 Turbo Miata:
Last season's drifting video (my first season)

Last edited by Oochi; 07-06-17 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Screw Photobucket
Old 12-28-14, 04:17 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking forward to this. Have you decided if your going to use the stock GM engine harness or use an aftermarket swap harness?
Old 12-28-14, 06:46 PM
Oochi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Looking forward to this. Have you decided if your going to use the stock GM engine harness or use an aftermarket swap harness?
I'd like to use factory GM harness. Save money and I don't mind to do some wiring. Did you use the factory harness?
Old 12-29-14, 04:05 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Oochi
I'd like to use factory GM harness. Save money and I don't mind to do some wiring. Did you use the factory harness?
I started with the modified gm harness, but wanted something cleaner and the pcm inside, so I opted for a PSI conversion harness. Made wiring really simple and took all of 45 min to install with the engine and trans in the car.
Old 12-29-14, 09:45 AM
Oochi
Driver School Candidate

Is it much trouble to use the GM harness? I hadn't looked into the PSI harness. Not sure it's worth the $5-600 that I could put into other stuff to get the car rolling
Old 12-29-14, 10:18 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Is it much trouble to use the GM harness? I hadn't looked into the PSI harness. Not sure it's worth the $5-600 that I could put into other stuff to get the car rolling
Modding the factory GM harness isnt hard to make it universal. There are a few write-ups on ls1tech that make it really simple, but if you want the pcm inside the car, you have to extend the harness, and I didnt feel like fighting with all of that.

The thing I liked about the PSI harness over the modded GM, is one the harness is long enough for me to put the GM pcm in the stock Lexus location. All the plugs and connectors are new, and they eliminate all the unwanted items AC/EGR plugs/etc., and its only a 6 or 7 wire hook up and includes a new fuel pump relay.
Old 12-30-14, 02:02 PM
Oochi
Driver School Candidate

Getting the ecu in the stock location would be great...we'll see where I'm at when the time comes.

Unless theres a miracle deal on an LS1 or LS6, im most likely ending up with a truck motor. Few things I've seen that I can cross of my question list is that I can use f body or gto oil pan, f body driveshaft with drift motion adapter, ls1/6 intake manifold. Finding these things are going to be a blast.

Do I need LS1 accesories? Or will the truck stuff fit and work for the time being?
What fuel pump is recommended and will a fpr be required?
What throttle cable works?
Will a stock sc clutch master work fine?

Input is appreciated and I will continue to answer my own questions as I find them. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-30-14, 05:31 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Getting the ecu in the stock location would be great...we'll see where I'm at when the time comes.

Unless theres a miracle deal on an LS1 or LS6, im most likely ending up with a truck motor. Few things I've seen that I can cross of my question list is that I can use f body or gto oil pan, f body driveshaft with drift motion adapter, ls1/6 intake manifold. Finding these things are going to be a blast.

Do I need LS1 accesories? Or will the truck stuff fit and work for the time being?
What fuel pump is recommended and will a fpr be required?
What throttle cable works?
Will a stock sc clutch master work fine?

Input is appreciated and I will continue to answer my own questions as I find them. Thanks in advance!
F-body oil pan as it clears the subframe with a little modding, the GTO oil pan is front sump and I have no idea if it will clear at all and pretty sure it wont..maybe on a GS, but not the SC. Stick to LS1tech classifieds, the manifolds, pans, etc pop up all the time and the guys there price things correctly (no drift taxes).

If you go with a 4.8/5.3/LQ truck engine, the truck accessories will work, but you will notice switching to the LS1/LS6 intake will need some modding. Worst case, just switch to the LS1/6 water pump and use waterpump spacers, they are pretty cheap and keep everything inline and give clearance for the F-body intakes.

If you use the stock fuel rail, pick up a 99-03 Corvette fuel filter (Part number: LS9904 on Summit), its a dual in single out ("returnless style") filter and the regulator on the rail will do the work. If you go aftermarket rails (Fast, Aeromotive, etc) any good FPR will work. Im personally using some cheap ebay/godspeed/garbage FPR and its working just fine, holds 53psi perfectly.

For the throttle cable I am using a Lokar TC-1000LS1 (Summit part number: Lokar#625-TC-1000LS1) 36" universal throttle cable, but had to mod the stock gas pedal bracket, took all of 5 minutes and then trim the cable to length. Not one issue so far. I have not attempted any other cable so there may be others, but I know that one works.

As for the stock SC clutch master, I cant say. I went with a Wilwood 7/8" master from the start which was easy for me as I made my clutch pedal cause I didnt have a stock 5-speed pedal. Message fried_rice (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...ried_rice.html), I think he ended up using the stock master cylinder, but I do not recall for sure.

And as for the LS vs. Lx truck engines, keep in mind that alot of people underestimate the little 5.3 and the 4.8. They were built to work and work hard, and have a great amount of low end torque (thus the trucks got them), and if built properly can go pretty high in the RPM range. Slight head work (with the 799 or 243) with the right cam, a good tune can yield well into the 400+rwhp range. The LS1/LS6 are also more than capable, but are generally more expensive as Im sure you have seen. Plus 5.3's love and can handle good amounts of boost right out of the box, in some cases 18psi completely stock from a junk yard.
Old 12-30-14, 06:32 PM
Oochi
Driver School Candidate

You might be the most helpful person I've never met. I didn't even think to look to see if gto pans were front sump, could have swore I read that they were usable somewhere, but you are totally right. Good info on the fuel rails.

I'm thinking about trying a camry or tundra throttle cable. I'll look into that more.

I have fried_rice's build thread bookmarked too, awesome car. Though it looks like he went with a Wilwood clutch master. Drat.

Also, I'm pretty dead-set on a 5.3 if I can find a good deal on one.

Had an hour to start getting something done, so I pulled the AC lines out (anyone need AC lines?). Next will be pulling ABS and cleaning the bay up for paint. Any ideas what else I could do easily while the motor is nonexistent? Also, is there a way to get rid of that fugly heater valve controller thing and still have working heat?

Last edited by Oochi; 07-06-17 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Screw Photobucket
Old 12-30-14, 06:42 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

You might be the most helpful person I've never met. I didn't even think to look to see if gto pans were front sump, could have swore I read that they were usable somewhere, but you are totally right. Good info on the fuel rails.

I'm thinking about trying a camry or tundra throttle cable. I'll look into that more.

I have fried_rice's build thread bookmarked too, awesome car. Though it looks like he went with a Wilwood clutch master. Drat.

Also, I'm pretty dead-set on a 5.3 if I can find a good deal on one.

Had an hour to start getting something done, so I pulled the AC lines out. Next will be pulling ABS and cleaning the bay up for paint. Any ideas what else I could do easily while the motor is nonexistent? Also, is there a way to get rid of that fugly heater valve controller thing and still have working heat?

I like being helpful where possible, and pay-it-forward as much as possible as I have received alot of help and info over the years here on CL. Plus I have grown to appreciate SC's with LSx swaps.

If your going to use power steering, you can start to prep that. I made my PS line, and have all the info for the fittings somewhere if you need them. Other than that, there isnt much prep work needed. The LSx swaps in these cars if done right is pretty much a bolt in affair aside from modding the crossmember, a little wiring and the PS line. And being that your doing a drift build cuts alot of the crap out of the way.

As for the heater, again Im not sure on that one. I have no heat or a/c or any of the components left in my car. Just 2 seats, dash, engine and trans., but Im pretty sure it will blow hot air all the time IIRC.
Old 12-30-14, 07:28 PM
Oochi
Driver School Candidate

I like being helpful where possible, and pay-it-forward as much as possible as I have received alot of help and info over the years here on CL. Plus I have grown to appreciate SC's with LSx swaps.

If your going to use power steering, you can start to prep that. I made my PS line, and have all the info for the fittings somewhere if you need them. Other than that, there isnt much prep work needed. The LSx swaps in these cars if done right is pretty much a bolt in affair aside from modding the crossmember, a little wiring and the PS line. And being that your doing a drift build cuts alot of the crap out of the way.

As for the heater, again Im not sure on that one. I have no heat or a/c or any of the components left in my car. Just 2 seats, dash, engine and trans., but Im pretty sure it will blow hot air all the time IIRC.
You sir, are a good man. Yep I plan on keeping power steering. So feel free to shoot me the info on that if you get a chance!

Yeah I saw the crossmember cuts to make it flat and notch for the oil filter, will be nice not ot have to buy a relocation kit.

I have like -12% body fat and I'm cold a majority of the time, which is why I want to keep heat haha.
Old 01-03-15, 09:28 AM
Oochi
Driver School Candidate

F-body oil pan as it clears the subframe with a little modding, the GTO oil pan is front sump and I have no idea if it will clear at all and pretty sure it wont..maybe on a GS, but not the SC. Stick to LS1tech classifieds, the manifolds, pans, etc pop up all the time and the guys there price things correctly (no drift taxes).
Oh, here is where I saw the GTO oil pan thing
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...300-400-a.html

But there's no way it would work with an SC after you pointed that out
Old 01-03-15, 09:42 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Oh, here is where I saw the GTO oil pan thing
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...300-400-a.html

But there's no way it would work with an SC after you pointed that out
Yeah, that is Mike's LSx GS build. Im still digging through all my info to find the details for the power steering lines, I should beable to post it in your thread this evening, Ill keep you posted
Old 01-10-15, 12:02 PM
Oochi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to turbodremz for the part number of the power steering line (will post up soon)
Got the interior out (black interior will be for sale if person who is currently planning to buy backs out)

Time for dry ice

Also having troubles finding a motor and a trans that isn't crazily priced

Last edited by Oochi; 07-06-17 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Screw Photobucket
Old 01-21-15, 05:06 PM
brett14
Driver School Candidate

sounds like you did some homework. make sure to post as much info as you can. im having the opposite problem your having. i got the engine already. just need a nice clean sc300

Quick Reply: Oochi's SC300 LSX Build