Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

mveale's '99 GS400 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 03:57 PM
Mr503
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good so far. Nice to see another 2gs from Oregon on the forum. Good luck on the build. Mine is coming together slowly but surely. Maybe I'll see you around.
Old 01-27-15, 04:50 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr503
Looks good so far. Nice to see another 2gs from Oregon on the forum. Good luck on the build. Mine is coming together slowly but surely. Maybe I'll see you around.
Thanks man!

I'm usually running around Vancouver and downtown Portland. I'll keep an eye out for ya!
Old 01-27-15, 06:55 PM
Mr503
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sure. I live in Portland now and I'm usually all over the place. What dealership do you work for? Yea maybe we can meet up one of these days. Have you been to the red door meet yet? They had a big turnout when I went last summer.
Old 01-28-15, 08:27 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr503
For sure. I live in Portland now and I'm usually all over the place. What dealership do you work for? Yea maybe we can meet up one of these days. Have you been to the red door meet yet? They had a big turnout when I went last summer.
**** Hannah in Vancouver. EDIT: Hahaha, apparently his first name is inappropriate... "Short for Richard" Hannah Dealerships.

I've driven through RDM a few times in recent months, but I was just on my way home from somewhere, so I didn't park and hang out. I'd like to though! It'd be fun to get some Lexuses together and go.

Anyway, finally washed the thing and took a couple iPhone night shots. I'll snap some daylight pictures tomorrow.

Old 02-07-15, 03:10 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking good! Previous pic with the band aide was pretty cool too! lol
Old 02-23-15, 05:56 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Got a new grille! It's made by Sarona, so I assume it's a replica of some other grille. But I bought it already painted from a local CL member, so I'm happy.

I REALLY need to do some touch up...

Showing a little love to the best cheap sunglasses on the market.

Old 02-23-15, 06:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

looks good... How does the Sarona grill fit? any issues...always wondered about fitment.. thanks
Old 02-23-15, 06:33 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tmf2004
looks good... How does the Sarona grill fit? any issues...always wondered about fitment.. thanks
It actually fits pretty well!

It looks fine from the outside, it fits nicely within the factory lines and doesn't have any noticeable gaps. The only issue I ran into was that one bolt was a couple millimeters off center from the hole. I'm just going to bore out the hole in the factory mounting tab a little bit and it should fit fine. However, I bought it used, so the original owner may have had to modify it a bit. If he did, he didn't mention it.

The only thing that worries me is the mount for the hood release. It's long and flimsy, and I think it could be snapped off if you don't open the hood carefully.
Old 06-04-15, 03:48 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Sneak peak of a BIG update...

I was lucky enough to purchase the old body kit from YaKuZa_GS's car. It's a Version Select front bumper with custom-molded dual fogs/halos, Admiration side skirts with puddle lights, and an Admiration rear lip. It's mounted up looking great.

Over the next week or two I'll be installing my coilovers and going an inch of two lower, redoing my exhaust with S2000 AP2 tips, wiring up the halos and puddle lights, restoring headlights, and some rock chip touch-up.

I'll take some real pictures when it's all done. For now, this is all you get!

Thanks for looking!
Old 06-06-15, 12:43 AM
Zoolander
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to see his kit ended up in PDX. I have the S2K tips and they fit as well as everybody says.
Old 06-11-15, 10:31 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Zoolander
Great to see his kit ended up in PDX. I have the S2K tips and they fit as well as everybody says.
Yeah, I REALLY love the way this kit looks.

The tips fit great, but I had no idea how much of a sound difference tips can make. The 4x18" Magnaflow tips were LOUD. It made the GS sound like a modded Mustang. Now that I have the S2K tips, which look great, but use 2-1/4" pipe, it is significantly quieter.

Anybody ever had in-person experience with a cat-back straight pipe GS400? Mine has only the two rear resonators left and is really quiet. I like my cars loud, but straight pipes are really hit or miss, so I'm not sure whether cutting the resonators out is a good plan or not.

Pictures:

Old 06-11-15, 10:39 AM
krdp2GS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suuuper jealous that you snagged up that kit! Looking great, can't wait to see it lowered.
Old 06-20-15, 11:25 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Originally Posted by krdp2GS
Suuuper jealous that you snagged up that kit! Looking great, can't wait to see it lowered.
Thanks man! I'm still slacking on the coilovers, but I've done a couple other things...

First, I picked up an L-Tuned grill from a member here. I think it matches the bumper quite nicely. I'm gonna try to find the same mesh as the grill and use it behind the bumper to bring it all together.

I really like the factory Lexus Xenon headlights with yellow fog lights below. While searching for some transparent yellow vinyl, I stumbled across this pearlescent stuff that reminded me of PIAA's crystal ion fog lights that I have on my Suburban. Decided to give it a shot, here's one side done:

Both sides done:

They look green sometimes, apparently. But I think they turned out pretty cool! Certainly different than plain yellow fogs.

Puddle lights are done. Wired into the footwell lights so they turn on when the car is unlocked and fade out like the dome lights.

Here's how they work:

Next project: Wire in the halos...

Old 06-21-15, 07:22 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Finally got around to installing the double din and the JDM dash kit from Carson Toyota. Fit and finish is perfect, love it!

Old 06-22-15, 12:49 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

the kit looks great.. love that front bumper....

Quick Reply: mveale's '99 GS400 Build Thread