Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jz or 1jz

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 09:53 AM
jigga62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz or 1jz

I am looking to build a sc300/400 in a few months and I am torn between the two motors. I want a car that is a daily driver with around 500hp. Which would be a better motor to use? I am a fan of both engines and having a hard time in deciding which to go with. Plus what would be a good setup for which ever I choose and how much would this be to do? I plan on doing the swap myself.

PS. i searched the forum for a thread about this but nothing was really insightful.
Old 10-30-14, 10:03 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

This debate has been covered multiple times....each has its own benefits....I found several threads that cover this by searching

SC300 is easier to do the swap than the SC400
Old 10-30-14, 10:26 AM
jigga62
Driver School Candidate

Ok so I ve deiced on the 2jz and from looking at it, a sc300 would be easier for obvious reasons lol. what would be a good setup from, about 500hp? I want to start getting parts now so that I do not have to do all this last min.
Old 10-31-14, 10:26 PM
adc27
Rookie

get a 1jz with a r154
Old 11-01-14, 11:58 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If it was me, I'd go with a 1JZ/R154 swap w/ a single BW turbo-but in all honesty, look around and weigh your options? Budget, overall knowledge around the tools, etc. I also see you're in Florida? Check out the FL section, there's a strong knowledge base there. Look up Jordan -megasuirt tuner...he's made 700 on a 1JZ. search LRD
on here, he's built some awesome 1jz builds too if I'm not mistaken? GL

steve
Old 11-02-14, 04:11 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

where in florida are you
Old 11-03-14, 12:47 PM
jigga62
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
If it was me, I'd go with a 1JZ/R154 swap w/ a single BW turbo-but in all honesty, look around and weigh your options? Budget, overall knowledge around the tools, etc. I also see you're in Florida? Check out the FL section, there's a strong knowledge base there. Look up Jordan -megasuirt tuner...he's made 700 on a 1JZ. search LRD
on here, he's built some awesome 1jz builds too if I'm not mistaken? GL

steve
Thanks I probably will go with the 1jz with the r154. I finally got to ride in both and to be honest I liked that sound of the 2jz better but the 1jz just seemed better all around.
Old 11-03-14, 12:48 PM
jigga62
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexforlife
where in florida are you
I'am in north sarasota.
Old 11-03-14, 04:26 PM
jigga62
Driver School Candidate

Ok I am going to be ordering my new 1jz in a bit but i know I am going to be opening up a can of worms by saying this and yes i have looked on this forum and still cant figure out which is better vvti or non vvti??? and which year sc would be the easiest to do the swap? like i said before i plan on making around 450-500hp and this would be a daily driver and a weekend warrior.
Old 11-05-14, 01:33 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by jigga62
Ok I am going to be ordering my new 1jz in a bit but i know I am going to be opening up a can of worms by saying this and yes i have looked on this forum and still cant figure out which is better vvti or non vvti??? and which year sc would be the easiest to do the swap? like i said before i plan on making around 450-500hp and this would be a daily driver and a weekend warrior.
Depends on what you want to do. Personally if I were looking into 2.5L's I'd get a 1JZ-GTE VVT-i (NON-DBW throttle version-- very important!) with a matching M/T ECU and an R154. You can have the stock single turbo upgraded or throw on a Tomei or HKS aftermarket turbo to allow for around 500whp and you have low end torque but with the stock turbo unmodified it loses steam way up high. The few turbo and cam upgrades (Tomei PonCams for instance) available cure that. Supposedly a late model SC is easier to get a harness made for this. Note: you absolutely want to avoid the Drive-By-Wire versions from Toyota Crown and Majesta models-- make absolutely sure you are getting one from a Soarer, Chaser or Mark II.

With a 1JZ-GTE non-VVTi you don't have the same low end torque or easily rebuildable (in the USA) CT15b turbo but you do have a high revving engine that is easier to put an aftermarket turbo onto and tuning is easier than with the VVT-i. The stock twin turbos on this engine will not take you to 500whp, so you'd need a single.

Both engines will meet your goals but they will do it differently. The VVT-i is a better/newer design and just as strong but it is more complex and there are less aftermarket turbo options available for it-- making "better" a subjective descriptor of the VVT-i. That said, the options that are available are very good.

Tuning options are wide open for the older 1JZ. I believe the fuel systems on all 1JZ's will need significant upgrading to reach your goals.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-05-14 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-06-14, 01:47 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Both are bad *** motors, if you gonna 1000hp later down the road , go with the 2jz.
Old 11-15-14, 05:54 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great advice on the 1jz setups Kahn... The main reason I decided against the 1jz swap was with regards to the ECU and how the 2jzgte non vvti & Aristo ecu was just a better choice. Now if your going full EMS then either would be just fine if you have a good tuner available and the coin it takes to tune. To be honest I found the 1jz's sound to be effin awesome when wide open. If I had to do it again I wouldn't think twice about using a 1jz vvti in a swap.
Old 11-16-14, 01:23 PM
eblick99
Driver

2jz head on 1jz block? or 1jz head on 2jz block? ask driftmotion, they have an interesting opinion. if you want something with a short stroke, go with a short stroke V8. so my opinion is 2JZ all the way. you can port the head and add a titanium valve train with Q45 TB and big bore FFIM easy and outflow either head stock, at which point displacement is your best friend. just save up and buy a 3.4 stroker motor if you havent purchased anything yet. the price of SC's has dropped so much since the time I bought mine in 2001 that i wish idve just banked the money and waited. nowadays just set aside $15-20k and buy the cheapest junkiest SC you can find and gut EVERYTHING and spend all the money on eng/drivetrain/dyno tuning. or find a beat MKIV for around the same, but then you are at square one performance wise. KahnBB6 says is best for a budget build i think.
Old 11-19-14, 12:37 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

2jzgte (non-vvti or vvti ) or 1jzgte vvti.
1jzgte vvti will be harder wiring wise, but its a newer motor with a single turbo factory that came in lots of cars.
1jz non vvti is getting harder to find in good condition and has more issues, wiring is simpler if its from a real soarer though.
Old 11-22-14, 04:30 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

for that hp goal and plenty of room to grow , id recommend sc300 , moderate mileage , go just na-t and use the gte ecu as ali has outlined .. swap in a gte hg , piece together quality turbo components and you are easily 450 to 500 all day long and if you want to say go up to 600 ish , just add in a good standalone and good tuner , slightly larger injectors and fuel and you are there

im still on my stock bottomend , head is built and cammed , i have been boosted since 2007 , started at around 450 ish rwhp , 2010 made some changes including ffim and headwork and have been at 600 rwhp on 93 oct since then and i drive my car almost daily ..

Quick Reply: 2jz or 1jz