SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What Should I know about '95 SC400 to sell effectively?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 03:44 PM
abturnage
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Should I know about '95 SC400 to sell effectively?

Hey everyone - I have a really nice '95 SC400 1-Owner that I'm trying to sell, but I really don't know much about them and hoped that all of you with experience will tell me the strong and weak points so I can be better educated about these cars when I get responses. Mine is very nice, and well kept, from what I see online mine is in very good condition comparatively. I wish I could post it for sale on here, but the forum doesn't allow new users to do so for a month, so I am hoping that anyone would be kind enough to direct me and help me learn so that I can be more effective when selling this very nice car. I've had it on craigslist, but I am confident that given the history and condition I'm not reaching the right market, so I hope to learn also where I should market it for best results and what are the things SC buyers are looking for, what will they want to know about. Thanks so much for any input!
Old 10-20-14, 07:29 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

post pictures, maintenance record, mileage of the car on here. we'll see how good it is and let you know more info because right now there's no actual information on the car besides your opinion.

the strong suits are, the engine and tranny are pretty bulletproof. i'm at 225k miles original engine and tranny and there's people that are way beyond me as well.

does the car have any problems at all?
Old 10-21-14, 06:11 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Where are you located in SC?. I live in Charlotte and could possibly drive down and evaluate the car and give you some info.
Old 10-21-14, 06:26 AM
abturnage
Driver School Candidate

I was avoiding posting pics because theres a forum for selling and I am not allowed to do so as a new member. Just trying to get more info, so I go about this in the wisest way. I have about $3800 in this car and I hope to market it in a way that minimizes my losses. But I really don't have a grasp of value...

It's a 95 sc400 192k, timing belt had been done at 92k, and I just did timing belt and components once again last week, new tires on it, cold a/c, good heat, radio speakers lights (even in the cluster) sunroof keyless, everything works, except the power tilt which is going to be fixed once the gear arrives. No lights on dash like abs airbag or cel...

It's a 1-owner southern car (not me, im a dealer, bought because I've always wanted one just to have for a little while and had it now about 8 months), it has no rust and almost perfect body as far as dings, a few minor scratches and blemishes but minor for age, most significatly the nose cose is a bit faded as it is made of plastic. Interior is way better than most that I've seen online - most have leather this is pretty much nonexistent lol. --- pass seat about perfect, rear seats about perfect except top where sun hits and has split and become fairly dry, driver seat side and upper left bolsters have splits but by no means torn up like most. Cushion and the rest of the seat very good, carpets and mats, dash, and panels all excellent, steering wheel cover showing wear, and screen on ac controls about 1/2 gone black but legible.

Mechanically excellent except for two things that I'm learning about by reading online yesterday and today - tilt gear stripped so I've ordered one off ebay and plan to fix, and carrier bearing makes noise when on highway and you let off the throttle (or so i'm guessing based on reading and logic).

I'm astounded by the quality of these cars. I was driving it to work today thinking how much better it feels and rides than most of the cars on my lot that are 10 years newer with half the miles. Toyota quality - love it...
Old 10-21-14, 06:28 AM
abturnage
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bankswood
Where are you located in SC?. I live in Charlotte and could possibly drive down and evaluate the car and give you some info.
Wow that's generous. I wouldn't think that would be necessary but if you love SCs that much, come on, and thanks!

I'm in Lexington SC
Old 10-21-14, 06:41 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

DamnI was in Columbia last Thursday. Don't know if I can get down that way soon.
As a dealer you know that when cars get this old pricing is whatever the buyer will pay. I've seen thrashed SCs go for $500 and really nice ones go for $5-6k. The kids like the SC300 because it's easy to turbo and is a sister to the Toyota Supra. I have a 400 so my experience is there.

Color exterior / interior?

Last edited by Bankswood; 10-21-14 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-21-14, 07:45 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Ok, I think pictures aren't an option. Post up some pictures of the car!
Old 10-21-14, 10:11 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Welcome and please give the rules another read.
I do not think there is a restriction on Club Lexus members posting LEXUS vehicles for sale in the Lexus Vehicle Classifieds forum. only the Non-Lexus vehicles have a restriction.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...assifieds-154/

Please don't let this turn into a testing the waters thread its already close enough.
It seems you and everyone knows the good and bad points of an sc300/400, I would recommend making a for sale thread with all the details and pictures and if its a good car it will sell itself at that point.
Old 10-21-14, 10:25 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am sorry. OP sounded "fishy". No pictures? You are a dealer and you don't know how to sale a car? Especially, used cars dealer (I am assuming)
Old 10-21-14, 11:06 AM
abturnage
Driver School Candidate

So does everyone who can swing a hammer to know how to build any type of house or understand all facets of construction??

Yep I'm a dealer - but I sell mostly newer cars, know little about these, never had one, always wanted a Lexus SC400 so i bought one not knowing anything about them. I was 12 when this car came out - always thought it was cool. Now that I've decided to sell it I'm trying to be diligent, know what I'm selling, and learn what sort of things would be good to know before trying to sell. I'm learning a lot already. This post is exactly what it was in the first posting - me trying to learn. Thanks for the input. If anyone is interested you can soon find it in the **removed by moderator**.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-21-14 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-21-14, 12:00 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

thread closed. do not make another one unless its for selling your vehicle in the actual classifieds.
starting a thread and asking questions to lead people to your craigslist ad because you didn't want to get qualified and follow the rules like everyone else is not going to work here.