Search this Thread

Old 10-07-14, 07:48 AM
djwestf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt kit/water pump install = bent valve

New to the Forum, Deanna from Cincinnati
03 GS 300 268,000 miles and was running strong until 8 weeks ago
LITERALLY NEVER ONE SINGLE PROBLEM~~~~ until dun dun dun~~~the timing belt/water pump change
So my precious baby is sitting in mechanical purgatory as I (joined the forum for advice because apparently my mechanic thinks I'm just a stupid girl) so I can at least pretend to be smart while deciding her fate and at same time trying to figure out if he bent my valves during install. Considering I DROVE it there to have it diagnosed~~~hour later phone call "your timings off for whatever reason , You need timing belt kit and water pump ($617). Take him the $, he said would take 7 hours~~~~9 hours later next phone call "it's not good, You have one and only one bent valve, need to pull the head, replace 4 valves , re-machine it, put it back together and charge you $1600.00 more. My one and only question to him before I gave him the go ahead on the belt and pump was will this fix my car? After 2 months of a gazillion Radom misfire codes cylinders 2 and 4 and running terrible. He said YES this will fix all your problems! It took me all of 5 minutes on Gates power grip website to find out that this IS AN INTERFERENCE engine.... He never mentioned one thing about possible engine destruction (that's sorta off a big deal). My question is will somebody be my friend and advise me honestly as to what I should do? Is it possible he installed incorrect ,cranked engine and bent? Did I somehow jump timing , bend valve and still drive it for 2 months? Because wasn't upfront with me from rip should intake elsewhere for valve repair? Buy a rebuilt cam?
I want my facts straight when I go to seehim. Would like to know is there any way I can prove that the valve was not bent when I brought it to him 9 hrs earlier? During his 2 hr diagnosis process that morning not one thing gave him any indication I had a bent valve he felt he should mention?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by djwestf; 10-07-14 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Delete