Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread

Old 12-08-14, 09:47 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This guy's running a Torsen LSD T2..

Apart from that sweet sound he gets out of his car, that slide looked great!

Im hoping to find a good lsd that'll work on my is250 awd
Old 12-21-14, 08:55 AM
skottydznt
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happy to see another performance oriented 350! looks real good and I'm a quite jealous of that LSD
Old 12-26-14, 05:37 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Nixcision
This guy's running a Torsen LSD T2..

Harold IS250 Sideway - YouTube

Apart from that sweet sound he gets out of his car, that slide looked great!

Im hoping to find a good lsd that'll work on my is250 awd
There's several is250 members that have been successful with using the LSD from a FRS/BRZ, IS300, and a mkiii Supra but all of those swaps were for the RWD model. Unfortunately, I don't know what LSDs are compatible with the AWD model. Good luck with your search!

Originally Posted by skottydznt
happy to see another performance oriented 350! looks real good and I'm a quite jealous of that LSD
Thanks! The IS350 has a lot of potential with the right upgrades.Though straight-line performance tuning is unfortunately very limited due to our ECU, there's plenty of ways to make the IS a great corner carver. The OS Giken TCD definitely brings the handling limits to a whole other level.
Old 01-31-15, 03:16 PM
redspencer
OG Member

My next mod for the car just came in the mail today (Figs LCA polyurethane bushings)

Also, my rear tires are at the wear limit so I decided to have a little fun with them before I replace them with a set of 265/35/18s. Two wheel burnouts!

Last edited by redspencer; 02-07-15 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-31-15, 04:14 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want an LSD
Old 02-01-15, 09:12 AM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

So besides the bushings there, what's next on the "mods list" getting you ready for some track time this session?
Old 02-01-15, 06:15 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Gville350
So besides the bushings there, what's next on the "mods list" getting you ready for some track time this session?
It definitely won't be the VR Racing ECU flash "tune"!

I'll very likely look into getting slotted rotors in the near future once my OEM rotors are below the thickness limits. I might also get the IS-F steering damper to see if there will be any additional improvement with the steering feel in combination with the IS-F Steering ECU and the Figs bushings.
Old 02-02-15, 04:32 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Since you brought up rotors, I'm hoping to figure out whether this OEM "BBK" might work out for our 2IS. I'll just have to work out something with the local dealership just in case it doesn't work out and I need to return the components.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...0-f-sport.html
Old 02-02-15, 05:12 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having replaced all rotors on both cars with Stoptech rotors and very happy so far, I would recommend Stoptech slotted rotors with cryo treatment

redspender, I found a local deal for the FSport chasis brace, and front sway bar $200 each installed which is exactly the missing pieces i need.... but the thing is I spent all my saving on the BCR coilovers, rotors, pads, calipers etc 1 week prior to that crazy deal. What a bad timing!!!
Old 02-02-15, 06:01 PM
JETLEX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
My next mod for the car just came in the mail today (Figs LCA polyurethane bushings)
Pretty sure you'll like the lower arm bushings...

Interested in your thoughts on the chassis improvements as time goes on. Thanks for sharing all this info with the forum!
Old 02-03-15, 07:17 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Gville350
Since you brought up rotors, I'm hoping to figure out whether this OEM "BBK" might work out for our 2IS. I'll just have to work out something with the local dealership just in case it doesn't work out and I need to return the components.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...0-f-sport.html
Yeah, I remember that thread you made a while back. Keep us posted if you are able to make the swap. I'm curious to know if that GS F-Sport BBK would require 19 inch wheels for proper clearance.

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Having replaced all rotors on both cars with Stoptech rotors and very happy so far, I would recommend Stoptech slotted rotors with cryo treatment

redspender, I found a local deal for the FSport chasis brace, and front sway bar $200 each installed which is exactly the missing pieces i need.... but the thing is I spent all my saving on the BCR coilovers, rotors, pads, calipers etc 1 week prior to that crazy deal. What a bad timing!!!
That is a heck of a price for those two items and yes, that would have completed your F-Sport suspension set-up! If it's still up for sale, I'd find some way to reserve those items (maybe offer the seller a deposit and pay a little more than $200 once you have the rest of the funds?).

Thanks for the Stoptech slotted rotors recommendation. I'll look into that once the time comes.

I read on one of your other posts that you are using Akebono ceramic brake pads (and that Gville350 is also considering getting a set as well). Are you planning on using those pads when you attend a future autocross? I wonder how the brake fade of the Akebono pads compare to the pads I'm currently using (EBC Yellow Stuff). I was unable to find any direct comparisons online.

Originally Posted by JETLEX
Pretty sure you'll like the lower arm bushings...

Interested in your thoughts on the chassis improvements as time goes on. Thanks for sharing all this info with the forum!
No problem. I'm a very performance-oriented person and from observing the things that Lexus has done to the 2IS platform from developing the IS-F to providing a higher-tuned version of the 2nd Gen IS250/IS350 in the form of the factory F-Sport and F-Sport accessories package (with both models achieving impressive skidpad and slalom metrics), I felt that the IS350 has a lot of potential to exploit with the right upgrades.

I've also observed that there's a certain sweet-spot to having a fun performance-oriented car at this power level that is difficult to achieve as you continue to get to the higher horsepower brackets. Vehicles such as the BMW M235i, E46 M3, and M135i may not have the big horsepower like the modern M vehicles but many journalists have said that while the big horsepower numbers are nice, sometimes it's much more enjoyable to drive a slower car fast than a faster car slow. This is ultimately what I'm trying to achieve with my IS350.
Old 02-04-15, 10:37 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
That is a heck of a price for those two items and yes, that would have completed your F-Sport suspension set-up! If it's still up for sale, I'd find some way to reserve those items (maybe offer the seller a deposit and pay a little more than $200 once you have the rest of the funds?).

Thanks for the Stoptech slotted rotors recommendation. I'll look into that once the time comes.

I read on one of your other posts that you are using Akebono ceramic brake pads (and that Gville350 is also considering getting a set as well). Are you planning on using those pads when you attend a future autocross? I wonder how the brake fade of the Akebono pads compare to the pads I'm currently using (EBC Yellow Stuff). I was unable to find any direct comparisons online.

No problem. I'm a very performance-oriented person and from observing the things that Lexus has done to the 2IS platform from developing the IS-F to providing a higher-tuned version of the 2nd Gen IS250/IS350 in the form of the factory F-Sport and F-Sport accessories package (with both models achieving impressive skidpad and slalom metrics), I felt that the IS350 has a lot of potential to exploit with the right upgrades.

I've also observed that there's a certain sweet-spot to having a fun performance-oriented car at this power level that is difficult to achieve as you continue to get to the higher horsepower brackets. Vehicles such as the BMW M235i, E46 M3, and M135i may not have the big horsepower like the modern M vehicles but many journalists have said that while the big horsepower numbers are nice, sometimes it's much more enjoyable to drive a slower car fast than a faster car slow. This is ultimately what I'm trying to achieve with my IS350.
Yeah you have been telling me for a long time to get that F Sport front sway bar and guess what!!! I'm trying to squeeze out that $200 and getting it today
Currently with the FSport rear sway bar only, my front has more body lean than the back and this somehow creates a oversteer effect which can be quite fun sometimes. With the front add on, I'm expecting even less body roll in the front and neutralize the steering to make the car even more balanced. Is that reasonable expectation? I can't wait to find out very very soon

I'm very happy with the Stoptech rotors and Akebono ceramic brake pads upgrade. I have not tested on autocross/track yet but on the street, I can confirm the following benefits:
1. Braking becomes so much more predictable and accurate. What I mean is the "linear" braking force throughout the entire range. The OEM pads has that initial biased bite but that takes a way the sensitivity in modulating the brake and not beneficial if you look for more control.
2. Brake feeling is more firm and balanced.
3. It has a lot less dust, almost dustless. My wheels are still sparkling clean in 2 weeks!
4. A lot less noise once the pads are warm.
The only thing I hate about the Akebono pads is that when you back up your car in the cold morning, it makes a loud highpitch noise everytime. It happens once everyday lol. Other that that, it is damn quiet.
5. The rotors are cooler which suggests to me that this set up is more fade resistant than OEM set up.
I haven't used the EBC pads yet, I'm sure EBC pads are very good. However, I'm extremely happy with Akebono ceramic pads, at least, on street driving. I'm going to autocross to test them out soon.

I totally agree with you that it is more fun driving a slower car fast than driving a faster car slow. That is why I still enjoy driving the IS250. My IS250 autocross time isn't that far off against the IS350. The less straight away, the more I can catch up with the IS250. Both cars have very similar handling characteristic. With the recent BCR coilovers set up, I like the IS250 handling a bit more than Fsport lower spring/shocks set up on the IS350. Again, I'm going to autocross the IS250 very soon to catch up that IS350
Old 02-04-15, 10:43 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^Ive heard some bad things / mixed reviews on the EDC brake pads... I was thinking of giving the EDC "redstuff" pads a try.

Wish there was a way to get the "red" to show thru the calliper!
Old 02-04-15, 11:44 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Yeah you have been telling me for a long time to get that F Sport front sway bar and guess what!!! I'm trying to squeeze out that $200 and getting it today
Currently with the FSport rear sway bar only, my front has more body lean than the back and this somehow creates a oversteer effect which can be quite fun sometimes. With the front add on, I'm expecting even less body roll in the front and neutralize the steering to make the car even more balanced. Is that reasonable expectation? I can't wait to find out very very soon
Yes, this is exactly what I experienced and what I also posted . As you've already noticed with your F-Sport Shocks/Springs + F-Sport Rear Sway Bar combo, when you take a sharp turn, you immediately can tell that the weight transfer to the outside portion of the car is more apparent on the front than the back. This would lead to the rear end breaking loose more often which can be a lot fun as you mentioned (and also taxing on the tires). The F-Sport front sway bar will make a noticeable reduction in the amount of roll from the front and will make the IS feel more balanced and stable. I think the benefit of having the added precision while cornering will overcome the sacrifice of you being able to oversteer at a moment's notice.
Old 02-07-15, 08:49 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Though it took much longer than I would like, the Figs LCA bushings have been installed:

I had a very difficult time trying to loosen the long bolt that's connected to the side rail bracket as well as trying to deflect the LCA enough to push out the bracket. I still have to torque all nuts and bolts but after that, I'll give the car a test drive to see if I notice any new changes/improvements to the dynamics of the vehicle.

EDIT: I just took out my car to test out the new bushings and I'm liking the difference. The steering input has more of a go-kart feel with additional responsiveness coming from the chassis even when you subtly turn the wheel. It's doesn't have as much of an impact to the steering feel as the IS-F Steering ECU but they definitely complement one another.

Last edited by redspencer; 02-07-15 at 02:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread