Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 01:22 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Are those still actually being made though? But of course a custom piece could be made as well with enough bends and couplers.
Old 04-19-16, 06:53 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I've had that panel removed for years; no hints of any water into the area at all...I don't have wheel liners either.
I'm glad to know that you've already done the long-term research for me! I guess I can advance my plan to trim the top portion of that plastic panel to still allow a path for cool air to enter the engine bay while maintaining most of the aerodynamic properties of that panel.

Originally Posted by codenko
You should look into the ultimate performance CAI. AFAIK, it's the only cold air intake they make for our car. Requires a little bit of modification to a plastic panel and relocates the intake right behind the passenger side air duct. Even with a stock tune on my 250, I notice a huge change in responsiveness in the cold and hot weather.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ir-intake.html
Thanks for the link. I did see that thread a while back and the design of that CAI looks great.
Old 04-19-16, 07:24 PM
redspencer
OG Member

I finally had a chance to test out the new RR Racing ECU Tune at a recent autocross competition and I have to say that this tune is worth every penny!

Spectators and other drivers were commenting on how fast the Lexus was and kept asking me if there was a V8 under the hood or if the motor was supercharged!

With the additional power/torque and the additional 500-700 RPMs to play with from the ECU tune, the IS350 would launch from a dig like a bat out of hell and maintained a very strong powerband up to the 7200 RPM redline. As long as initiated my shifts a little bit early (1,000 RPMs prior to redline on 1st gear and 500 RPMs prior to redline on 2nd gear), I would consistently be able to upshift at around the 7k mark without bouncing off the redline.

A really big benefit gained from this tune is the ability to stay in gear much longer which helped tremendously when I was able to stay in 2nd gear at speeds close to 70 mph when I previously had to shift to 3rd gear at 60ish mph. I really regret not recording a video of my runs because the IS350 was screaming through the course and the combination of the F-Sport Exhaust and the ECU Tune turned the car into an acoustic masterpiece. The amount of compliments on how great the car sounded were endless.

Here are a few shots of my car representing Team Lexus at the event.

Last edited by redspencer; 04-19-16 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-20-16, 12:37 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I'm glad to know that you've already done the long-term research for me! I guess I can advance my plan to trim the top portion of that plastic panel to still allow a path for cool air to enter the engine bay while maintaining most of the aerodynamic properties of that panel.
I'm not familiar with this panel, but from your pictures it appears to be there to force air through the radiator rather than around it. After you trim it, post up a couple of more pictures, this looks like it could be a candidate to replace with a modified piece in carbon fiber.
Old 04-20-16, 12:42 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
I'm not familiar with this panel, but from your pictures it appears to be there to force air through the radiator rather than around it. After you trim it, post up a couple of more pictures, this looks like it could be a candidate to replace with a modified piece in carbon fiber.
Yes, you are correct with the intended function of that plastic panel. I'm taking GVille350's word that water intrusion in the engine bay won't be an issue so I'll commence with trimming the upper portion of the panel sometime in the next couple of days.
Old 04-20-16, 01:14 PM
Gville350

^And actually I've got both sides removed and NO front lower radiator cover either.
Old 04-20-16, 04:36 PM
redspencer
OG Member

^And actually I've got both sides removed and NO front lower radiator cover either.
Haha, your drag coefficient probably dropped from 0.28 Cd to 0.82 Cd.
Old 04-21-16, 07:48 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Speaking of aerodynamics and covers, I've been contemplating on acquiring a set of JDM underbody aero panels if I were ever able to find them for a good price.

From what I've researched on old threads, only a certain number of '09 USDM ISX50s received the full set of front/mid/rear underbody aero panels while the rest of the USDM ISX50s only have a partial set (front and rear aero panels, IIRK).

This would be one of those "nice to have" mods, especially since I've noticed that the newer generation Lexus models have a higher number of underbody aero panels now that Lexus is concentrating more on track performance. I guess I'll need to continuously search on eBay for a used set of these rare 2IS aero panels.
Old 04-21-16, 11:03 AM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of aerodynamics and covers, I've been contemplating on acquiring a set of JDM underbody aero panels if I were ever able to find them for a good price.

From what I've researched on old threads, only a certain number of '09 USDM ISX50s received the full set of front/mid/rear underbody aero panels while the rest of the USDM ISX50s only have a partial set (front and rear aero panels, IIRK).

This would be one of those "nice to have" mods, especially since I've noticed that the newer generation Lexus models have a higher number of underbody aero panels now that Lexus is concentrating more on track performance. I guess I'll need to continuously search on eBay for a used set of these rare 2IS aero panels.
Actually if you want to do a little project without spending too much, you can cut panels out using election signs.
I did that when I broke my mk4 golf tdi underpanel and I just cut the election sign to size and zip tie tight. they stayed together for over 3 years of driving.
of course if you want to use for track you will need to fasten it stronger than zip tie lol
Old 04-21-16, 04:27 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Did you ever try running 255/35/18 on the front's? I picked up a square set of PF01 18x9, but was hoping to run a square 255 setup on both the front and rear without rubbing.
Old 04-22-16, 05:41 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by strikeraj
Actually if you want to do a little project without spending too much, you can cut panels out using election signs.
I did that when I broke my mk4 golf tdi underpanel and I just cut the election sign to size and zip tie tight. they stayed together for over 3 years of driving.
of course if you want to use for track you will need to fasten it stronger than zip tie lol
That's a pretty clever solution and there's plenty of election signs to be found with the ongoing campaigns. I guess if there's a will, there's a way!

Originally Posted by codenko
Did you ever try running 255/35/18 on the front's? I picked up a square set of PF01 18x9, but was hoping to run a square 255 setup on both the front and rear without rubbing.
What offsets are your 18x9 PF01s (BTW, great wheel choice )? Mine are 18x8.5 +35 for the front and 18x9 +35 for the rear.

I'm still running 245/35/18 Front and 265/35/18 Rear since my current set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports are lasting much longer than my previous set (The stiffer front LCA bushings and me religiously turning off the eLSD each time I start up the car has played a big factor on minimizing tire wear). Once this set does wear out though, I am contemplating on going to 255/35/18 Front and 275/35/18 Rear.

Based on my wheel size, offset, and current tire configuration, I don't see a problem with my car going to 255F and 275R (except for the possibility of needing to roll the fender in the rear because the 265R just barely clears the wheelwell). We have another CL member, Sportskid1, that runs a 255/35/18 square set-up on matching 18X8.5 +35 wheels and he reports no issues with rubbing ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post9383587).

Back to your wheels, since your front set of PF01s are 18x9 instead of 18x8.5, your offset may play a crucial factor on whether or not 255/35/18 tires can work. If they are +35 or +40 offset, I think you'll be fine (based on playing around with the calculator on www.willtheyfit.com and observing the changes in clearance).
Old 04-22-16, 04:24 PM
Gville350

Haha, your drag coefficient probably dropped from 0.28 Cd to 0.82 Cd.
Don't really care since I don't do anymore HWY driving after moving to the new house. 35 to 45 all the way to work taking back roads. Some really fun, twisty back roads by the way.

What do you mean by "turning off the eLSD"? Turning off the T/C?
Old 04-22-16, 04:48 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Don't really care since I don't do anymore HWY driving after moving to the new house. 35 to 45 all the way to work taking back roads. Some really fun, twisty back roads by the way.

What do you mean by "turning off the eLSD"? Turning off the T/C?
Yeah, you have some fun back roads in SC!

With regards to turning off the eLSD, that's one of the effects of turning off VSC (long pressing the TC button on 07+ models or doing the pedal dance on 06 models). If I leave the eLSD active and turn aggressively into a corner, the VDIM system will trigger the rear brake of the inner wheel which will both eat away at the rear brake pad as well as slowly scrub away the tread of my tire.
Old 04-22-16, 06:39 PM
strikeraj
Driver

Yeah, you have some fun back roads in SC!

With regards to turning off the eLSD, that's one of the effects of turning off VSC (long pressing the TC button on 07+ models or doing the pedal dance on 06 models). If I leave the eLSD active and turn aggressively into a corner, the VDIM system will trigger the rear brake of the inner wheel which will both eat away at the rear brake pad as well as slowly scrub away the tread of my tire.
But for people without real LSD does it actually help corner tighter?
Old 04-22-16, 08:05 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by strikeraj
But for people without real LSD does it actually help corner tighter?
In theory, yes, eLSD would help to corner tighter and prevent the inner wheel from spinning. Unfortunately, VDIM does a lot more than just initiate eLSD and the default system on the IS350 will more than likely hinder cornering performance rather than enhance it. The main goal of the VDIM system is to maintain stability of the vehicle and it will do so by performing a variety of intrusive actions such as reducing your steering angle, reducing engine power, etc.

When the IS-F made its debut, its VDIM system came in two configurations, VDIM Normal and VDIM Sport. The VDIM Sport configuration allowed for more leniency when cornering before activating. If you watch the below VDIM comparison video, you can see how VDIM Normal (the default setting for the IS350) would do more to keep you stable than to help you corner at faster speeds. VDIM Sport (available on the IS-F and on the ISX50 if you install the IS-F Steering ECU) will better take advantage of the eLSD feature without finding other ways to slow you down in a corner.

Quick Reply: Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread