Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 10:13 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Dammit red, stop making me add to the list of things I want for this car!
Old 08-17-15, 01:12 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Good review Red!
Old 09-11-15, 06:27 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

As I begin prepping the car for another autocross this November, I went ahead and installed a set of EBC Yellowstuff brake pads for the rears to match the set I have on the fronts.

I was originally running EBC Yellowstuff on the front and OEM brake pads on the rear and while that was fine for daily driving (and less brake dust to clean during my car washes), I noticed on the track that the OEM rear brakes would occasionally lock up during heavy braking as it wasn't providing the fade resistance that the EBC pads on the fronts were. I guess putting up with additional brake dust is better than having mismatched brake pads.

While I was installing the rear brake pads, I did an inspection on my tires and I spotted a shiny metal object embedded onto the tread.

Luckily, I was able to pry it out with no puncture to my Michelin PSS tire as it was lodged sideways into the meaty portion of the tread.

After the next autocross event, I'm thinking of treating myself to an early Xmas gift by replacing my worn OEM rotors with StopTech slotted cryo-treated rotors and pairing those with my EBC Yellowstuff pads. This looks to be a good combination for daily driving and track use. Thoughts?

Last edited by redspencer; 09-11-15 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-11-15, 02:24 PM
Gville350

While you were working on those rear calipers, did you check them to ensure it was not the caliper that was the problem and not the pads? My rear calipers had completed seized causing odd pad wear.

I have those rotors all-around on my 2IS, and I love them! Will get another set if they ever wear out. They've lasted longer than the factory rotors! LOL
Old 09-11-15, 06:26 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Gville350
While you were working on those rear calipers, did you check them to ensure it was not the caliper that was the problem and not the pads? My rear calipers had completed seized causing odd pad wear.

I have those rotors all-around on my 2IS, and I love them! Will get another set if they ever wear out. They've lasted longer than the factory rotors! LOL
I am able to freely move the rear calipers back and forth so I'm assuming I don't have a seizing issue. I also checked my service records and it looks like my car had the 9LB Special Service Campaign (Replace Rear Brake Dust Boot Both Sides) so hopefully that will be a non-issue later down the road.

Yeah, I recall you having those rotors and liking them so I plan on obtaining the same ones fairly soon.
Old 09-11-15, 07:19 PM
GearGrind
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good. i remember there was an is350 (that was 7-8 years ago) that was running 275 rear at the track
Old 09-14-15, 02:24 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by redspencer
I also checked my service records and it looks like my car had the 9LB Special Service Campaign (Replace Rear Brake Dust Boot Both Sides) so hopefully that will be a non-issue later down the road.
Hate to burst your bubble, but mine had the same service campaign preformed on my 2IS. Still didn't help; just a poor seal design/material quality I guess. Anyhow, new OEM calipers are doing the job quite well now.
Old 10-09-15, 08:39 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Well, thanks to this video posted by CL member jdubbs350, I went ahead and ordered a new engraved F-Sport exhaust (the darn mod bug bit me again).

I hope to have it installed in time for my track day in a few weeks so I can hear the intake and exhaust at WOT for over a minute straight per run.

Last edited by redspencer; 10-09-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-09-15, 01:44 PM
Gville350

You'll love it like everyone does!
Old 10-30-15, 09:52 AM
redspencer
OG Member

The TRD F-Sport exhaust has officially been added to my IS350 as yet another mod done to this car.

I'm very impressed with the dual personality of this exhaust! It's extremely quiet when coasting on the streets or highway yet very noticeable when you're on the throttle. This characteristic is a complete 180 compared to the drone-filled M2 exhaust I had a year or two ago which forced me to go back to stock.

I've already been getting lots of compliments on the exhaust note from passerbyes that can't believe it's coming from a Lexus.

Old 10-30-15, 06:30 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seen so many cross braces on a Lexus!

Exhaust looks great in those pictures, perfect size for the rear bumper.

I haven't read through your entire thread yet, but I wanted to give my input on some things I've noticed so far. I would recommend you try a more track-oriented brake pad next time around. I've down a total of 11 trackdays with my 3IS with various pads including EBC yellowstuff. F sport "high friction" pads, EBC yellowstuff, Carbotech XP10/XP8, and Carbotech RP2. The EBC's are marginally better than stock F sport pads (more fade resistant I suppose), but don't stop nearly as good as true track/race pads. If you get them hot enough they'll start to melt actually. Decent performance at that price point though. Once you venture onto larger tracks I would recommend checking other pads; I think you'll be amazed (as I was) with the level of performance they offer. Tires would be next thing to look into as well. PSS's are great DD/light-track duty tire but there's better options out there for trackdays/autocrossing.

Really jealous of the Giken LSD! It's definitely something the 3IS could benefit from based on my track experience. It would be pretty cool to compare your prep'd car with my lightly prep'd IS350 on a track too. Let's plan a meet at Sebring, Road Atlanta, or Barber!
Old 10-30-15, 07:22 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Thanks for the feedback ExSrAaron. Yeah, my current build is geared toward being a true daily driver/track-capable car without resorting to race pads, R-compound tires, or stripping out the interior.

Just like how the IS-F began its life as an experiment by a few rogue Lexus engineers, I like to think of my IS350 as a "what if build" had Lexus decided to go beyond what's available from the current F-Sport Accessories line-up to creating an aggressively tuned IS350 while still maintaining the Lexus standard of luxury and daily driver functionality. Perhaps when I get my future garage queen (hopefully a production version of the Toyota FT-1), I'll slap on some R-compounds and race pads on my IS350 but for now I prefer to maximize the performance of what's currently on the car and continue to improve my driving skills using the same daily driver set-up.

I'm definitely up for a HPDE somewhere in Florida or Georgia if you or other Club Lexus members are interested!
Old 11-01-15, 04:36 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said man!
Old 11-06-15, 11:15 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you're running out of things to add on your cars suspension...lol. Car probably drives nice. I had many of the parts you have also and loved how it drove, even though I was too low for track driving. Just to show you my F Sport chassis brace, it scraped everywhere. keep up the good work.
Attached Thumbnails Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread-suspension-pic.jpg   Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread-gt-spec.jpg  
Old 11-06-15, 12:31 PM
Gville350

^He still swears by his F-sport suspension though; trying to make him see the light with some coilovers. LOL!

What's next Red...PPE headers, custom mid-pipe, boost ( ).

Oh, forgot to ask; how do you feel about the "tailpipe-to-bumper gap"? Nice its even, but to me still to low. If I ever finally pull the trigger on a nice exhaust, I'll have to get a more stiff exhaust hanger setup that will tighten up that gap :

http://www.torquesolution.com/Exhaust-Mount-s/1239.htm

Last edited by Gville350; 11-06-15 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread