Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 02:13 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
If I were to choose/recommend only one upgrade for improving chassis responsiveness, it would still be the F-Sport Chassis Brace.
I have been contemplating on this last F Sport item lol. Will it stiffen the normal daily ride? How technically is this helping the handling?

On the IS250, I know the F Sport front sway bar neutralize the car and keep the rear planted. I no longer have the crazy drifting fish tail effect even with harder throttle exiting out the corner.

My IS350 still does not have the front sway bar yet and man this car is oversteering everywhere. Fun and look impressive but slow as hell on autocross haha.
Old 04-13-15, 05:36 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I have been contemplating on this last F Sport item lol. Will it stiffen the normal daily ride? How technically is this helping the handling?

On the IS250, I know the F Sport front sway bar neutralize the car and keep the rear planted. I no longer have the crazy drifting fish tail effect even with harder throttle exiting out the corner.

My IS350 still does not have the front sway bar yet and man this car is oversteering everywhere. Fun and look impressive but slow as hell on autocross haha.
This thread has a lot of great feedback from several F-Sport Chassis Brace owners, including my own: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ce-review.html

This is one of those mods that you do after you upgrade the rest of the suspension components. Only then will you truly feel how responsive the chassis is through your steering input.
Old 04-15-15, 06:00 AM
redspencer
OG Member

I just realized that I haven't posted a single picture of the interior so here it is.

Interior modifications include the aluminum sport pedals, F-Sport shift ****, F-Sport floor mats, the Prestigious Society Navigation and Video Enhancement Module so my kids in the back can watch their DVD movies in glorious DTS Digital Surround Sound, and an OS Giken decal on the dash to remind my passengers why they're scared when they're in the car with me. Lol.

Last edited by redspencer; 04-15-15 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-05-15, 10:16 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Over the weekend, I did a minor cosmetic mod on the IS350. I ordered and installed a F-Sport replica front grille as well as a new Lexus emblem and I was very pleased with the fit and finish.

I also bought the Meguiars Perfect Clarity Headlight Restoration Kit and spent a good hour or so applying some good ol' elbow grease in order to remove oxidation from my headlights. After I sprayed on the sealant, the headlights looked crystal clear. It was a great weekend for me and the IS.

I read on the other sub-forums that Stillen is officially proceeding forward with developing a supercharger kit for the 3IS350, 4GS350, and RC350 platform: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post9026227

Though they have no plans to develop a kit for the 2IS platform, I sincerely hope they will at least try testing their supercharger on a 2IS350 as that would be the next major mod I would save up for if it ends up being compatible...

Last edited by redspencer; 05-05-15 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-05-15, 04:47 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Ha, told you you'd like the "F-sport" grill!

I've rocked mine with the hybrid emblem for so long now I'm wanting to swap it all out for an emblem-free grill. One of the few mods I have yet still to do, along with the PPEs. Yeah, mods have taken a backseat to the selling/buying of the house. LOL!
Old 06-20-15, 07:31 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great looking car. Yours is the first that really interest me on this sight. As much as I'd like to follow your footsteps I'm going to keep mine mostly stock as it's going to be used as daily duty. My twin turbo Z will be the weekend machine.

Keep posting up on this sight as I'm interested in your track days, sure others are too. When are you going to translation from auto cross to a track? With your suspension upgrades you'll be able to surprise quite a few people on track.
Old 06-20-15, 06:56 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
Great looking car. Yours is the first that really interest me on this sight. As much as I'd like to follow your footsteps I'm going to keep mine mostly stock as it's going to be used as daily duty. My twin turbo Z will be the weekend machine.

Keep posting up on this sight as I'm interested in your track days, sure others are too. When are you going to translation from auto cross to a track? With your suspension upgrades you'll be able to surprise quite a few people on track.
Thanks for the compliment. My previous car was a MKIV Supra which handled fantastic so I've simply been trying to squeeze out the potential of the IS350, especially since Lexus had used the 2IS platform to make a performance statement to its German competitors with the launch of the "F" and "F-Sport" models.

You don't have to invest in a lot of money to make a substantial difference in handling to your IS350. For about two grand, you can get a set of BC Racing coilovers (or F-Sport shocks and springs), front and rear F-Sport Sway Bars, the F-Sport Chassis brace, and probably the 2011+ IS-F Steering ECU. Afterwards, your IS350 will be able to go toe to toe with the e46 m3s at your local track.

I'll eventually transition from smaller road courses to the major race tracks once my toddler kids are a little bit older for me to make a road trip out of the weekend!
Old 06-23-15, 01:39 PM
Gville350

^Are you sure it just isn't the LSD Red? LOL!
Old 06-23-15, 07:23 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Are you sure it just isn't the LSD Red? LOL!
Hehe, I'm certain as the suspension recommendations I made in my earlier post to go toe-to-toe with E46 M3s were based on my suspension set-up before I installed the OS Giken TCD. As I mentioned on my original post of this thread, auto reviewers that tested the 2IS equipped with the F-Sport suspension accessories package were able to pull skidpad (0.89-0.90g) and slalom figures (71mph) that matched and/or exceeded what the E46 M3 was capable of. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are also very comparable between the E46 M3 and the 2IS350. Though the steering feel and feedback on the stock IS350 is lacking, this issue can be rectified via the 2011+ IS-F Steering ECU and FIGS LCA bushings.

TBH, since I installed the OS Giken TCD nearly two years ago and having observed the torque-vectoring behavior and limitless traction that this competition-grade differential provides on-and-off the track, I'm confident that this car would put many of the newer generation sport coupes and sedans like the F80 M3/M4 on notice when it comes to attacking the corners (though I know I have no chance on a straight line). The slot car handling and predictable transfer of torque to the outside wheel (up to 100%) with no loss of traction while gunning it out of the apexes is something that has to be experienced and I now know why its considered to be the holy grail of aftermarket differentials for Time Attack teams!

BTW, this is the road course that I take my IS350 to twice a year which is located at St Augustine, FL. Depending on the track set-up that weekend, it can take me approximately 70-90 seconds to complete a solo run. Not too many enthusiasts know about this course so the amount of runs I can do in a day can easily empty out a full gas tank!

On a side note regarding cosmetic mods, I recently treated my IS350 to a new OS Giken license plate frame and a new F-Sport badge. What do you think?

Last edited by redspencer; 06-24-15 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-24-15, 02:24 PM
Gville350

Personally Red, I'd de-badge/de-sticker your ride. Would look cleaner and unassuming.

So when you gonna take the plunge to full coilovers?
Old 06-24-15, 03:03 PM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally Red, I'd de-badge/de-sticker your ride. Would look cleaner and unassuming.

Gville350, I say we make a trip to St. Augustine for a race! I'll pick you up on the way.
Old 06-24-15, 03:17 PM
redspencer
OG Member

If my Bilstein shocks were to ever fail by developing a leak and Lexus continues to enforce its stop sale on replacement shocks, I'll consider the path of swapping to fully-adjustable coilovers (very likely a set of KW V3 coilovers). At the moment, I'm very happy with the suspension tuning done by TRD when it was developed and track tested at the Streets of Willow.

Originally Posted by daileycon
Gville350, I say we make a trip to St. Augustine for a race! I'll pick you up on the way.
Yes!! Come join me at one of my biannual trips to St Augustine and I'll make a trip up north one of these summers for a journey with you guys through the Tail of the Dragon.
Old 06-25-15, 06:05 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
If my Bilstein shocks were to ever fail by developing a leak and Lexus continues to enforce its stop sale on replacement shocks, I'll consider the path of swapping to fully-adjustable coilovers (very likely a set of KW V3 coilovers). At the moment, I'm very happy with the suspension tuning done by TRD when it was developed and track tested at the Streets of Willow.

Yes!! Come join me at one of my biannual trips to St Augustine and I'll make a trip up north one of these summers for a journey with you guys through the Tail of the Dragon.
Tail of the Dragons right in my back yard. Was real fun on my Honda CBR, well the moments I didn't feel like I was going to die!
Old 06-26-15, 12:31 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by daileycon
Hell yeah! Just let me add my PPE headers on first!
Old 06-26-15, 01:51 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Hell yeah! Just let me add my PPE headers on first!
The next track weekend at this road course will be around the beginning of November so that leaves you plenty of time to plan a proper road trip.

Quick Reply: Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread