Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-17, 05:15 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by moonlit
So... I suppose it wouldn't be best to do this at my current 99,000 miles.
Actually, you're probably near the tail end of the sweet spot for having your transmission fluid fully flushed. From the research I was doing online prior to deciding on having the full-flush performed (instead of the low-risk trickle flush), it's when you start getting deep into the six-digit odometer range (i.e. 110k or 120k), that's when the recommendations for doing only a trickle flush instead of a full-flush become more prevalent.

If you're thinking about keeping your IS for an extended period of time, I think a complete fluid change via a full-flush is worth the investment. At the very least, look into having the fluids trickle flushed to help prolong the life of the transmission. This thread has plenty of tips on how to perform the task: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ion-fluid.html
The following users liked this post:
moonlit (03-11-17)
Old 03-11-17, 06:37 PM
moonlit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will definitely give a full transmission flush a shot, sometime within this month or the beginning of next month.
Old 04-03-17, 05:02 AM
smitty2919
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

This is a proper build thread!

Kudos to you...and some other thread where I saw someone doing a LS swap!
Old 04-03-17, 06:48 AM
Brian7
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Actually, you're probably near the tail end of the sweet spot for having your transmission fluid fully flushed. From the research I was doing online prior to deciding on having the full-flush performed (instead of the low-risk trickle flush), it's when you start getting deep into the six-digit odometer range (i.e. 110k or 120k), that's when the recommendations for doing only a trickle flush instead of a full-flush become more prevalent.

If you're thinking about keeping your IS for an extended period of time, I think a complete fluid change via a full-flush is worth the investment. At the very least, look into having the fluids trickle flushed to help prolong the life of the transmission. This thread has plenty of tips on how to perform the task: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ion-fluid.html
Just to play devils advocate If you track your car, its probably best to have the fluid changed sooner than later, its possible with all the track days you do, your fluid might have the equivalent of 110 or 120k mile ATF. Those of us who daily drive our cars and hardly ever hit the track can probably get away with changing fluid later, the less the transmission is slipping and getting hot, the longer the fluid will last. I wouldn't consider 110k or 120k to be deep into the triple digit range either, deep into the triple digit range would be 150k+ for me. But again, it comes down to how the car has been driven. If someone wanted to drain just enough fluid for Blackstone to test, re-fill with whatever was taken out, they could then compare their numbers to yours and make a decision if it would be OK to do a full transmission flush.

That being said, I'm curious the condition of my 117k mile ATF so I might send a sample to Blackstone and see how much my transmission has been babied or beat on in its life
Old 04-05-17, 02:50 PM
Cole2is
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know of a track in SoCal, this looks so fun !
Old 04-05-17, 04:19 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
This is a proper build thread!

Kudos to you...and some other thread where I saw someone doing a LS swap!
Thanks. When I lurk at other forums like bimmerfest, ft86club, etc., there seems to be a great amount of enthusiasts that prefer canyon roads, autocross, and HPDE track days instead of building VIP-style cars. Hopefully threads like mine can help persuade fellow Lexus owners to also hunt for apexes.

Originally Posted by Brian7
That being said, I'm curious the condition of my 117k mile ATF so I might send a sample to Blackstone and see how much my transmission has been babied or beat on in its life
Hopefully you'll get a chance to send out a sample as I think I might be the only one that's provided a fluid sample for the A760E. The more samples that Blackstone Labs has, the more accurate the test results can be.

Originally Posted by Cole2is
Anyone know of a track in SoCal, this looks so fun !
Try registering for free at http://www.motorsportreg.com/. You'll find all sorts of track day events within your vicinity.

--------------------

As far as status updates on my build, I'm currently waiting to wear out another 1/32-2/32 tread on my rear tires before switching to my new 255F/275R tire set-up. My new tires are currently waiting for me on the tire rack at my local Discount Tire store but I want to make the most out of the remaining rubber before getting rid of them.

For my future alignment plans, I'm thinking about doing zero toe on the front tires and 0.05 toe for the rear tires. Even with the upgraded LCA bushings, I'm still getting some inner tire wear on my front tires so hopefully switching to zero toe up front will further reduce inner tire wear.
Old 04-06-17, 05:30 AM
Brian7
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hopefully you'll get a chance to send out a sample as I think I might be the only one that's provided a fluid sample for the A760E. The more samples that Blackstone Labs has, the more accurate the test results can be.
I ordered the free kit from them on Monday. How long did it take yours to arrive?
Old 04-06-17, 07:51 AM
redspencer
OG Member

I think it took about 2 or 3 weeks to arrive. You'll receive a bottle, instructions on taking a sample, and labels for mailing the container back.

Thanks for volunteering to add additional samples for our A760E data pool.
Old 04-06-17, 08:11 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

For my future alignment plans, I'm thinking about doing zero toe on the front tires and 0.05 toe for the rear tires. Even with the upgraded LCA bushings, I'm still getting some inner tire wear on my front tires so hopefully switching to zero toe up front will further reduce inner tire wear.
That's interesting, my tires were worn evenly across the whole tread. I had mine setup with 1mm of toe on the front end and 0 on the rear end with FIGS bushings and 245 width Pilot Super Sports. I also have ~1.8* of camber on the front, but usually cars driven hard without enough negative camber wear the outsides of tires. My front tires were down to about 2/32, so I just had new tires put on my car yesterday, I'm trying out the new Continental Extreme Contact Sports. 255s on the front and 275s on the back. I'll let everyone know what I think when I have some more time on them.
Old 04-07-17, 06:47 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
That's interesting, my tires were worn evenly across the whole tread. I had mine setup with 1mm of toe on the front end and 0 on the rear end with FIGS bushings and 245 width Pilot Super Sports. I also have ~1.8* of camber on the front, but usually cars driven hard without enough negative camber wear the outsides of tires. My front tires were down to about 2/32, so I just had new tires put on my car yesterday, I'm trying out the new Continental Extreme Contact Sports. 255s on the front and 275s on the back. I'll let everyone know what I think when I have some more time on them.
Hmmm.....I'm running 3mm of toe on my front tires and after 15k miles on my 245 Michelin PSS tires, I already have cords showing on the inside tread and the difference in tread depth from the inner to outer tread measurement is about 2/32-3/32. Hopefully a zero toe setting up front will make a difference. Mike @ FIGS recommended setting the toe for each of the rear tires at 0.05 degrees so I'll experiment with that setting as well.

Definitely keep the forums posted on your 255F/275R set-up. I'm most curious to know if there's any rubbing on the fronts during hard cornering. When I spoke with Sportskid1 about his 255/35/18 set-up for both front and rear (using 18x8.5 +35 wheels), he said he didn't have any issues with tires rubbing so it sounds like the IS350 can support this width up front without any issues.

Last edited by redspencer; 04-11-17 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-11-17, 09:53 AM
redspencer
OG Member

I finally got around to getting my worn 245F/265R tires swapped to a wider 255F/275R configuration. I'm still using Michelin Pilot Super Sports since the new Michelin PS4S tires won't be available for most 18" sizes until 2018. Here's how they look on the IS350 and here's the alignment settings that I went with for this tire configuration (Zero Toe for the fronts and 1/16 Toe-In for the Rears [which I think translates to 0.10 degrees?]). Hopefully I'll see a more even tire wear in the front with a zero toe set-up.

Last edited by redspencer; 04-11-17 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-11-17, 02:38 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Having you considered getting adjustable camber arms to dial in some more - rear camber for those track days? I have 2.1 degrees in the rear.

Wasn't the plan to go with 275s in the rear?
Old 04-11-17, 02:58 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Gville350
Having you considered getting adjustable camber arms to dial in some more - rear camber for those track days? I have 2.1 degrees in the rear.

Wasn't the plan to go with 275s in the rear?
Darn autocorrect! Lol. I fixed the post above to reflect 255F/275R.

I hadn't thought about getting adjustable camber arms unless I moved to adjustable coilovers but who knows what the future holds with further upgrades to my IS350. Next upgrade for me will be track dedicated pads like the Project Mu Club Racer so that's the next hole in my wallet.

​​​I'm also interested in PPE headers but the install cost is fairly substantial. Perhaps the next time I'm in South Carolina, I can pay a visit to your garage and we can get the headers installed then.
Old 04-14-17, 02:23 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Hell, I'll sell you mine!
Old 04-28-17, 11:20 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Darn autocorrect! Lol. I fixed the post above to reflect 255F/275R.

I hadn't thought about getting adjustable camber arms unless I moved to adjustable coilovers but who knows what the future holds with further upgrades to my IS350. Next upgrade for me will be track dedicated pads like the Project Mu Club Racer so that's the next hole in my wallet.

​​​I'm also interested in PPE headers but the install cost is fairly substantial. Perhaps the next time I'm in South Carolina, I can pay a visit to your garage and we can get the headers installed then.
For where your car is at, you should consider adjustable camber arms:
Originally Posted by Mike Kojima, via MotoIQ
Adjusting camber is well worth the effort, optimizing the camber for your type of car and driving style can often make a bigger difference in the amount of stick the car can generate than any other mod besides tires.
Also, the next time you have a couple of hours to burn, run down this rabbit hole: http://www.motoiq.com/Tech/TheUltima...nHandling.aspx Read all ten articles, then read them again!

Quick Reply: Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread